PDA

View Full Version : ToneRite for use across instrument families... anyone know?

Explorer
May-09-2010, 7:15pm
I posted a question for ToneRite on their question/help page, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. (I know it went through, because I got a confirmation report, but there's no way to look at the service ticket, contrary to what their email to me asserts.)

I had asked if there were any plans to make a ToneRite which could have the rubber piece swapped so one could use one ToneRite on all one's instruments. That way, one could use it on a guitar, a mandolin, a fiddle, and a cello, if one had all four.

I would hate to think that they wouldn't offer such a thing, because that just sounds like trying to maximize sales of the units by requiring a purchase for each instrument type. However, it is odd that I've not yet heard anything back on the question, given that it was a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know if they offer a versatile ToneRite? And, if ToneRite is the only place to get a straight answer, does anyone know why they've been out of touch for the past few weeks? I'm sure they wouldn't just ignore a straightforward question, but it has been a while....

toddjoles
May-09-2010, 7:22pm
I believe that they vibrate at a specific frequency/note for each instrument. One for Mando can only be used for Mando.

fishtownmike
May-09-2010, 7:45pm
I think Todd is correct on this.

Explorer
May-09-2010, 8:49pm
That would be interesting to know for sure. I do hope that they get in touch and answer the question. It would seem easy enough to let me know that, if it's true.

I'll post when they finally get back to me. I might even try again tomorrow, just to remind them of the previous attempt....

Michael Lewis
May-10-2010, 1:50am
You can put a guitar Tonerite on a mandolin and visa versa and they will do their magic. There may be some difference of frequencies for the different models but I don't think it is so critical. I could be wrong. I have used them that way and they work. The method of attaching them is to wedge the base between strings, and it is easier to attach the guitar model on a guitar than on a mandolin but you can do it. By the way, the new generation is pretty nice. They still operate at one speed but have a nice intensity control.

ccravens
May-13-2010, 4:15pm
I've used my guitar TR for my mandos, zouk and fiddles as well. I haven't ever heard that there are different frequencies for different models, but I could be wrong. In any event, I agree with michael that it probably would'nt make much of a difference anyway, even if true.

I doubt they'd make a on-size-fits-all adapter, as they'd possibly loose too much $.

Michael Lewis
May-14-2010, 1:22am
I've used my guitar TR for my mandos, zouk and fiddles as well. I haven't ever heard that there are different frequencies for different models, but I could be wrong. In any event, I agree with michael that it probably would'nt make much of a difference anyway, even if true.

I doubt they'd make a on-size-fits-all adapter, as they'd possibly loose too much $.

I'm not so sure about that. Such a universal set of bases might improve the sales numbers. The human mind is a curious thing to observe.