PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A Jr. vs Mid Mo

woods
Sep-24-2004, 4:33pm
How ya doin tonite?

I'm getting some suggestions about these two mandos. I've been researcning to find a mando to put in my recording studio.

I am wondering how the Gibson A Jr compares to a Mid Mo?

Can anybody share a little about the tone, playability, neck width, price, etc. New or used doesn't matter - wouldn't mind getting second hand if the price gets me more mando.

Thanks,

Woods

Jim M.
Sep-24-2004, 5:51pm
A jr.'s are one of my favorite A models. Great old hollow vintage tone. Drawbacks - they are old, so tuners may not work great, top may be sinking, neck may be less than perfect, scale length is shorter, so it can feel a little cramped with bigger hands, and generally they will be more expensive than the Mid-Mo's. Mid-Mo's are great flat-top mandos at a very good price. Tone is a bit different than an arch-top, maybe more chime-like. Mid-Mo's have a longer, and to me, more comfortable neck. They are new so they don't have the problems that vintage instruments do but they also don't have 80-yr. old mojo either. Tough choice but if you have the money, I'd recommend a A-jr. that you know is in good shape. If you want to economize a bit, you won't go wrong with the Mid-Mo either.

woods
Sep-25-2004, 4:18pm
My observations were telling me that the Gibson A Jr was probably a better sounding instrument. But just how common are they? There's alot of recommendations to try or get one but where are they? I know I see the odd one here and there but......

Are there any shops that would let a guy buy one -- and then if not satisfied -- sell it back or return it?

Also, what'll they give me that a Mid Mo won't? Tone-wise, Playability, Feel? etc.

Thanks again,

Woods

danb
Sep-25-2004, 4:20pm
Woods- Charles Johnson (http://www.vintagemandolin.com) has one at the moment, he's a very trustworthy & helpful person. If you'd express your desire to try before you buy, you may reach an agreement.

I bought an A3 from him some years ago and it was probably the most pleasant experience I ever had buying an instrument!

Steve L
Sep-26-2004, 5:21am
After reading both your posts, I would strongly suggest adding a Breedlove Quartz 00 to your list of instruments to consider.

It a very well made new arch top oval hole instrument with a wide, radiused neck and large fretwire. Very price competitive with an A jr. None of the "worries" of an old Gibson A, but there is a definite magic to those old mandos.

I own both a Breedlove (KF) and a MID MO (M2) and like both of them a lot. I passed on an A jr last winter and have been kicking myself since.

PhilGE
Sep-26-2004, 7:31am
Weber Aspen #1 (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/WAS1.htm). I tried many, many mandolins at Elderly before settling on this one for tone and volume a few years ago. I saw one on the classifieds a while ago selling for about $600. The folk at Weber are great to deal with - as are the folk at Mid-Mo (no experience with Breedlove).

-Phil

woods
Sep-26-2004, 8:19am
Is there any tonal characteristics that separates the Breedloves and the Webers from the Mid Mos?

thanks again
woods

Steve L
Sep-26-2004, 12:01pm
Well, some of these instruments are arch tops(Gibson, Breedlove) and some are flat tops (Mid Mo and the Aspen model in the Weber line). It's something of an apple and orange comparison in some ways and we haven't really determined what types of music you will be playing and under what circumstances. Arch tops tend to project more and sustain less than flat tops.

I don't think any of the instrument discussed so far would ever be a "mistake" for you, but you might want to do a bit more research and actually play more instruments to get a sense of what you need and like.

If you just want to use a mando as a "sweetener" in recording projects, the Mid Mo might be the best bang for the buck. If you want to sit in at bluegrass jams or large Irish sessions, you might prefer an arch top.

woods
Sep-26-2004, 12:51pm
At this point that is a good way to describe my mandolin intentions -- Sweetener -- for recording projects. Nice way to put it.

Production examples include -- Mark Knopfler solo efforts (Ragpickers dream adn Sailing to Philadelphia). Bob Dylan's Love and Theft. Folk / Alt Country / Roots / Maritime type stuff.

Thanks again,

Woods

ethanopia
Sep-26-2004, 2:23pm
Well Woods I own a Snakehead A Jr and I must say I like it a lot, its a very recordable mandolin and would be perfect for the type of stuff you are working on. Mine is very sweet and old time sounding with just the right bass and ballance all the way around. It is NOT a modern sounding Bluegrass instrument that cuts like a Samuri sword but it doesn't sound you are looking for that anyway. #The one that Charles Johnson has looks really nice. If you watch for caved tops and worn frets and stay away from those you should be fine. As with any vintage instruments its caveat emptor.

Hope you find one you like,

Ethan