PDA

View Full Version : Micro Mesh

Gavin Baird
Feb-12-2004, 4:02pm
David,
Although I don't use micro mesh the lubricant i do use is straight mineral oil reduced to a water viscosity with mineral spirits. This will eliminate the problems you described. To clean up after I use Naptha. Should you not use a suitable lubricant you will likely find that the abrasive of tha grit will clog and begin to reproduce scratches worse than what you are trying to remove. A material I use is called Abralon, available from Homestead Finishing. To bring my finish to almost final polish I use their 4000 grade. The real secret is to be able to progressivly move up the abrasive size completly removing the scratches from the previous grit. I will go from 400 gold 3M to 800 gold 3M then to 2000 Abralon then to 4000 Abralon. The gold 3M is done dry. For a high gloss use one of the Meguires final finish or one of the 3M equivilants....G

Yonkle
Feb-13-2004, 12:37am
I used Micro Mesh on my last two Mandolins. I started with the 2000 grit or so, and worked my way up to the 12000 grit. By the time you get to 12000 it is pretty shiney. Then I rubbed in some Mcguires #10 to final polish.
It only takes a little bit of water to wet sand with Micro Mesh, I used a dot (like a 1/4 drop) of dish soap as a lubricant.

evanreilly
Feb-13-2004, 10:51am
Is Micro Mesh an over-the-counter item??? where is it available??

mandoluthier1
Feb-13-2004, 11:10am
Evan,
Int'l Violin sells it by the foot. I have a link to them on my site.
John

Jim Hilburn
Feb-13-2004, 1:27pm
Gavin,I just mixed up the mineral concoction, and it's clearly going to help make peace around my house. I've alway's used prep-sol, a strong pre-finish solvent and it works great, but since my shop is basically in the house,I cause a lot of bad will with the wife. It stinks.
So,thanks for the tip. I like it.

John Bertotti
Feb-14-2004, 1:42pm
I used to work for micro-surface finishing. They are in Wilton Iowa. I have never seen their web site but if you call them I bet they will help. They will also give you all the sources for their product. Last time I checked they still didn't sell direct. John

AussieBruce
Feb-14-2004, 11:54pm
I used micro-mesh on the back of my #2 home built. I got a set of micro-mesh with some kind of sponge backing, in a whole variety of grades. I used a small amount of water and a tiny amount of soap. It worked well. The best part was delaing with their sales people. i am in Australia, and the effort they went to, to make sure I got what I wanted and it did the job, it was way above and beyond the call. Incidentally, I finished off after the micromesh with a liquid polish.

No financial interest, but check out the pre-packaged sets of papers on their web site before jumping in to buy a heap of uncut sheets.

Bruce

Yonkle
Feb-17-2004, 12:31am
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Equipment:_Finishing_sanding_papers/Micro-Mesh_Sandpaper_Kit.html

Try going here..