PDA

View Full Version : New Kid On The Block

roscoestring
May-07-2010, 6:24am
My wife bought me a mandolin for our wedding anniversary about 7 or 8 years ago. The next day my daughter took it and began to learn to play. After she started getting pretty good I decided I would have to go buy me another. So I went Ebay shopping and picked up a $200 F style. My daughter, Amy, taught me a few chords and I started learning. Then she took my F style. After a while I was offered a Kentucky F style at a good price which I bought. You guessed it. Amy got the Kentucky.

Amy was very good at mandolin. She taught me a lot. We played together all the time at home, in groups, at church, everywhere we could. Our group was called Southen Cross (no "r").

That was several years ago. I've just recently started getting interested again and in fact have built my very first mandolin. It is a solid body electric from a kit that I modified. I sold it to a guy in Washington state. He may be a member here. Not sure. Now I'm building a couple more from scratch and thought it would do me a service to see what others say about mandos.

I haven't learned my way around this forum yet but I hope to be learning from you guys (and gals) in the future.

My daughter was more of an acoustic player and I love the electrics. She played more bluegrass type stuff and me more country/rock. I could never get the sound I wanted out of an acoustic/electric. What's everyone's take on that?

JEStanek
May-07-2010, 8:59am
Welcome to the Café and I hope you get to keep a mandolin for yourself sometime!

Jamie

roscoestring
May-07-2010, 1:38pm
Thanks for the welcome. I've got two mandos right now. I'm building two more.

Elliot Luber
May-07-2010, 2:13pm
The barefoot cobbler. It's a sad, but historic tale. When you do get one, it's going to be HOSS, I can tell. :-)

Mike Bunting
May-07-2010, 2:23pm
My daughter was more of an acoustic player and I love the electrics. She played more bluegrass type stuff and me more country/rock. I could never get the sound I wanted out of an acoustic/electric. What's everyone's take on that?
Listen to your daughter! :)

Jim MacDaniel
May-07-2010, 2:47pm
My daughter was more of an acoustic player and I love the electrics. She played more bluegrass type stuff and me more country/rock...What's everyone's take on that?
Maybe she has an old soul, and your're young at heart? ;)

roscoestring
May-08-2010, 12:30am
I do listen to my daughter. Every day. She was wise beyond her years, and I have become a baby.
My daughter was killed in and automobile accident in '07 on the day after my wedding anniversary. She was 18. An intoxicated driver struck her car. My daughter was a passenger in her own car. Her boyfriend was driving. I grew up a lot that day. I died a lot that day too. I sometimes play her mandolin. I sometimes play her guitar too. I sure do miss playing with her. Any time that I wanted to play she was ready, willing and able. I'm not as experienced at mando as was she but I am learning.

Now, everyone go give your daughters a hug.;)