PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a mandolin for a beginner?

jaycat
May-05-2010, 1:48pm
Hello all, I've got about $150-$200 to spend on a mandolin. What would you recommend?

Thanks!
jc.

abuteague
May-05-2010, 2:14pm
If I were in that position, I'd go for:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/RM50.htm
or stretch for
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM150S.htm.

These are entry level instruments that get a good setup by Elderly.
I haven't played either one myself, but Elderly has a good reputation and at these instruments are solid wood real instruments.

My first instrument was free, but I think these are a step up from what I had for many years starting out.

I've been watching these instruments lately because I'm in the market for one for my daughter. I have more expensive tastes for myself now, and I'm sure some will recommend the best (highest price) mandolin you can afford. We love our mandolins you know. But I remember being new to mandolin and I don't think I would have ever gotten started if the buy in was much above $200.

So best of luck to you. I hope you do get a mandolin and learn to play it well.
:)

allenhopkins
May-05-2010, 2:22pm
Kentucky KM-140. (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM140S.htm) The link is to Elderly Instruments, 'cause they do shop set-up on those they sell. You can find it listed as low as $170 from other sites. For a beginner, playability is the most important variable, and that means decent set-up.

Kentucky instruments get the most consistent "props" on the Cafe, when entry-level mandolins are discussed. Rover is another brand that's generally mentioned positively; Janet Davis has an RM-50, solid wood, carved top, here (http://www.bluegrasscenter.com/rover.html) for $140.

abuteague
May-05-2010, 2:32pm
I saw the KM140, but I didn't mention it because it wasn't in stock.:( We seem to be thinking along the same lines though.

jaycat
May-05-2010, 2:46pm
Thanks for the leads, everyone. abuteage: I hope I learn to play it well too, but then again, I've been playing guitar for 40 years and still don't play "well!"

Ed Goist
May-05-2010, 3:15pm
Hi JC:

I will echo Allen's comments about making sure you get a good set-up, and also about Kentucky mandolins as good starter instruments.

I recently (mid-March) purchased a new Kentucky KM-172 as my first mandolin. Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?60387-First-Mandolin-Review-New-Kentucky-KM-172&p=779778#post779778) is my review of this instrument.

I paid $329 for this mandolin (price included shipping, a decent hard shell case, a clip-on chromatic tuner which works quite well, and a very good set-up).

I hate to make a recommendation above your quoted price range, but I have to say that I continue to be stunned by the value of my KM-172. For this price, it's playability, tone and build quality are remarkable. After each playing session, as I'm putting her away, I say to myself..."Best $329 I ever spent").

Bottom line - I think you can't go wrong with an all solid wood Kentucky mandolin purchased from a dealer with a solid reputation for initial set-ups. (There are many such dealers who are sponsors of the Cafe).

Let us know what you decide.

-Ed

JEStanek
May-05-2010, 3:32pm
I had a Kentucky KM140S. It was a very good starter mandolin. The KM150 will also be excellent. I fully reiterate what is said about a quality set up. Spend a few more dollars to get it set up from a good vendor (e.g., Elderly) or else you'll have to spend $40-100 to have a local person (who may not know mandolins) do it if you get it drop shipped from a cargo container off e-bay. These beginner instruments are not set up for maximium comfort and playability from the factory.

Jamie

jaycat
May-05-2010, 3:40pm
I think I'm gonna go for the Rover from Elderly's. Their price is good compared to Boston-area shops I've checked (plus free shipping!), and everyone's hearty endorsement of Elderly and their set up swayed me as well. I would've gone for the KM-140 had it been in stock.

Thanks all!
jc

Capt. E
May-05-2010, 4:06pm
Thanks for the leads, everyone. abuteage: I hope I learn to play it well too, but then again, I've been playing guitar for 40 years and still don't play "well!"

Personally I find mandolins easier to play than guitars.

mandroid
May-05-2010, 11:35pm
Yes I can .. but so have the hundreds of responses to this question before... :))

go forth and shop and play them.., young person !!! :whistling:

jaycat
May-06-2010, 6:23am
Yes, ######, wouldn't that be ideal, to go forth and play them? Alas, even here in Boston most of the small music shops are a thing of the past. Guitar Center and Daddy's don't carry either Kentucky or Rover mandolins. There are a smattering of smaller shops such as the venerable Sandy's in Cambridge, which has the instruments recommended above at significantly higher prices than Elderly's . . .

Thanks for your non-recommendation, I'm sure it would have been an enlightened one.

--57-yr-old "young person"

Bob Buckingham
May-06-2010, 7:16am
Kentucky KM150 is all solid wood and if you buy it at a good local store it will be setup correctly. We have sold boat loads of this mandolin for years and no one ever brings one back with a complaint. Of course they are gone over and set up before they go out the door.