PDA

View Full Version : Do all the older gibson's have tiny frets?

thorin68
May-05-2010, 9:18am
I'm in the process of a trade for a 1922 Gibson A.I'm curious about the comparatively tiny
frets compared to that more modern mandolins that I've played.Is this typical for these older Gibson's?

sunburst
May-05-2010, 9:38am
Yes, the small frets are typical.

Nelson Peddycoart
May-05-2010, 9:45am
Is there any harm in refretting with bigger ones, given that the slots can accomodate the larger tang without messing up the neck?

sunburst
May-05-2010, 10:12am
No harm. Frets wear out and have to be replaced, it happens all the time, and the size of the wire can always be changed to whatever is appropriate for the situation.

mrmando
May-08-2010, 3:28am
Well, it does screw up the collectibility somewhat, but if you find it easier to play a Gibson with jumbo frets, go ahead and make the switch. As John says, the frets can always be changed back.

One of the vintage Gibsons I got in recently had been refretted with two different sizes of wire! It's being put right with original-size small frets now.

Hans
May-08-2010, 6:29am
If the frets are good don't mess with them. You can hardly find that wire anymore. When I got my F4, the frets were good but the neck had a bow. I had to remove the frets, level the board and re-install the same frets.

Nelson Peddycoart
May-10-2010, 9:20am
Collectability is not an issue. This instrument belonged to my grandfather and will pass on to my daughter. I am interested in having it be in the most playable shape possible so that it doesn't sit around and languish in the dust.

Rob Gerety
May-12-2010, 5:36am
If it were me I'd get it evaluated by a pro with a lot of experience with old Gibsons and think hard about a refret and board leveling if needed - a good set up and man you have one heck of a nice mandolin to play.