PDA

View Full Version : Tim O'brien's playing in Mark Knopfler's band

erick
May-05-2010, 12:58am
Tonight I heard Mark Knopfler play a fantastic show in Boston, and Tim O'brien is playing mando, fiddle, mandocello, banjo,some sort of Giacomel octave mando and electric guitar with him. There was some sweet interplay between Tim and Mark on a couple numbers, and Tim sang the Charlie Mason verse in "Sailing to Philadelphia" originally sung by James Taylor. It's a great band, with stellar players throughout, and then there's MK.... check 'em out.
Eric Kilburn

San Rafael
May-05-2010, 9:06am
This is interesting.

I checked Youtube but couldn't find anything.

dlabella
May-05-2010, 1:44pm
you're lucky you caught the show, looks like they're touring Europe all summer. I used to love Dire Straights and was wondering what Knopfler has been doing, would love to hear the instrumentals.
http://www.markknopfler.com/tour/

jefflester
May-05-2010, 3:54pm
I used to love Dire Straights and was wondering what Knopfler has been doing...
Knopfler has been very actively recording and touring the last 10 years or so. He was pretty quiet after calling Dire Straits finished, putting out one solo album and some soundtracks in the 90s, but he's put out 7 albums since 2000's Sailing to Philadelphia (*fantastic* album), including a studio one and live followup with Emmylou Harris.

dlabella
May-05-2010, 4:34pm
Knopfler has been very actively recording and touring the last 10 years or so. He was pretty quiet after calling Dire Straits finished, putting out one solo album and some soundtracks in the 90s, but he's put out 7 albums since 2000's Sailing to Philadelphia (*fantastic* album), including a studio one and live followup with Emmylou Harris.

I heard about the soundtracks but am clueless about the albums! Always fun to find out there's something I've been missing that's new to listen to, thanks!

Elliot Luber
May-05-2010, 4:58pm
Cool. Seeing them tomorrow at New York's Union Palace Theater uptown.