PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Mandolin looking for Opinions??

1NewPicker
May-03-2010, 8:01pm
Hello,
I have been struggling along with an old Johnson mandolin for almost a year. I would like to upgrade. My budget is limited to around $600 +/- $100. I have been looking at several models including:

Kentucky KM630-$459

Morgan Monroe MVF1-$549
-Solid Carved Spruce Top
-Solid Flamed Maple back and Sides

The Loar LM500VS-$599
-All Solid
-Grove Tuners

I would appreciate any feedback on these choices, or any others I should look at in this price range. The Kentucky is the only one I have had in my hands. Sounded OK a little rough on the fit and finish. Tuners seemed a little chinzy
Thank You

CES
May-03-2010, 8:30pm
Of those you listed I would choose the Kentucky over the other 2. The Loars took a big step up in quality with their 600 and 700 models, but the 500s were a little disappointing, I think. Morgan Monroe does make some decent instruments, but I'd really play before I bought as the quality is very variable from mando to mando; or at least buy from a reputable dealer who'll pick a decent one and do a set-up, as I don't think MM does much of one before they ship.

While I haven't personally played one, I'd consider the Kentucky 505 as well...it's an A style with F holes, is a little cheaper than the 630 but I think has a radiused FB (could be wrong, though) and may have better woods. I own a 675 S and like it, though it clearly has deficiencies (and is a model made just after their move to China...QC has improved considerably since then). I've heard one Cafe member describe his 505, which he bought as a backup mando, as "25% of the cost of his Collings MT with 75% of the tone." Pretty high compliment...

Others to consider would be an Eastman 505, or, if you're not playing exclusively BG and are open to oval holes or flattops, Flatiron pancakes, Big Muddy mandos, and Redline Travellers are all quite nicely made (nothing chinzy about them) with surprisingly good tone. My Flatiron pancake is currently my best and favorite mando...

300win
May-03-2010, 8:36pm
Stay away from the Kentuck 630 man. I had one it was a dog. I believe the one I had was laminated, they might not be now. I had a Kentuck 250s that was nice, not loud, but good tone, good playing. I've had Morgan Monroes, and finally was able to get a Gibson, own two now. If you take the $600, add another 500 or so, you might could gert a used Gibson A-9. I have one thats a great mandolin, not for sale. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, although mandolins are just like people, every one of 'em is differant.

Earl Gamage
May-03-2010, 8:37pm
Kentucky is good for the money. Not sure about the 630 but the all wood (not laminated) A styles are very good mandolins.

Patrick Market
May-03-2010, 8:55pm
Not to be too Missouri centric, but I am a Big Muddy (see CES above) owner and a Shawnee Creek desirer (is that a word?) NFI on either. Both sound great and hit your price point.

PJ Doland
May-03-2010, 8:59pm
If you can stretch it to $800, there's a Breedlove Quartz KF in the classifieds right now in what appears to be excellent condition.

allenhopkins
May-03-2010, 9:32pm
If you take the $600, add another 500 or so, you might could gert a used Gibson A-9. I have one thats a great mandolin, not for sale. Bottom line is you get what you pay for...

Say ya want a ham sandwich for six bucks? Well, if you'd just add another six, you could get the roast beef platter...

Looking at mandolins in the half-a-grand range, the Rover RM-75 (http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8383) gets good grades: carved solid spruce top, nitrocellulose lacquer finish, and it's less than $450. Seems to be the premier entry-level F-style bluegrass mandolin.

Kentucky KM-505 (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM505.htm) is an A-style, so you don't get the scroll etc., but it gets very solid reviews as well: all solid woods, carved and graduated top, ebony radius fingerboard. Also less than $450.

Eastman MD-505 (http://www.folkmusician.com/Eastman-505-Mandolin-A-Style/productinfo/MD505/) is another A-style which gets a lot of support here on the Cafe. All solid woods, carved top, radius fingerboard, and "fit and finish" on Eastman instruments is consistently high-grade. Closer to $600, but still in your budget.

Morgan Monroe doesn't get the consistent high marks of the other brands, but there are those who really like them. MM's are almost always gorgeous in appearance, with loads of inlay and nice finishes, but -- the MVF-1 has a solid top, but it's not advertised as "carved," so it may well be heat-pressed and therefore not as likely to be graduated (carved to different thicknesses for best acoustical result). Back and sides are called "flamed maple" but not advertised as "solid," so may well be laminated. Yet the price you're quoting is $100 more than the Rover or the Kentucky. Solid back and sides are not as important acoustically as a solid top, and pressed-top (or "induced arch") instruments can sound very good (ask Stefan Sobell!), but you're sacrificing some quality in materials and construction if you go for a laminated-body instrument without a carved solid top.

Best advice: play all the mandolins you can find in your price range, and buy the one that suits you best. You may find an unusually fine Morgan Monroe that's everything you want, or a The Loar 500 that wins your heart. Generalizations are risky -- including that one! -- and individual instruments vary significantly. Good luck and happy hunting.

birdman98
May-04-2010, 1:18am
There's been some Eastman 515's listed for $500-$600 here in the Classifieds recently. Nice mandolins..especially if you can snag one for that amount of $$$

Timleo
May-04-2010, 1:32am
If you can stretch it to $800, there's a Breedlove Quartz KF in the classifieds right now in what appears to be excellent condition.

BOYYYY you better jump on that! Those retail for $1,400.00!!! If you could get an American made, radiused ebony fingerboard mandolin for $800.00, well.... holy ####.

Just my 2 cents :)

Mandolin Mick
May-04-2010, 1:46am
You'll find that most guys here will recommend a Kentucky or Eastman in that price range.

If you search carefully, you can find a new Kentucky KM-855 which retails at over $1000 for around $700 from Instrument Alley, etc. I have one and am very happy with it. Not as nice as my Gibson, but after a good setup it can handle anything, plays well & sounds great!

mandroid
May-04-2010, 10:01am
Chiming in with Allen .. Go Forth and play a bunch, you will find even the same model in a brand will have variable sound characteristics
though they look the same..

Nelson Peddycoart
May-04-2010, 10:12am
I think the best general advice probably is

1.) If you really are looking to get better tone, focus on A models. You will most likely get more for your money.

2.) Used mandolins offer great benefits. a.) Available for roughly half the original price b.) often "played in"

3.) Make sure you look for all solid carved top mandolins. Nothing pressed or laminate. There is nothing wrong with them for a person just figuring out if the mandolin is for him, but those looking to grow into something better should stay away from them.

The economic condition in this country has hurt alot of builders. Reduced prices can be found if you are willing to hunt and negotiate.

1NewPicker
May-04-2010, 2:42pm
I thank everyone for all the feedback. I have not pulled the trigger yet. I am trying to get my hands on as many different Mandos as possible. This is quite a task as I am in MI, not exactly a mandolin mecca. I am taking everyones input to heart, I think I will buy the best A-model I can find in price range.
Thank You Again

man dough nollij
May-04-2010, 3:51pm
This is quite a task as I am in MI, not exactly a mandolin mecca. Yeah, I hear that all they have up there is some little mom & pop joint called Elderly...

mando.player
May-04-2010, 4:16pm
Ditto on the Elderly suggestion. How far are you from Lansing?

Jill McAuley
May-04-2010, 8:40pm
If A styles are now in the race then you should definitely try to play a Kentucky KM505.

Cheers,
Jill

Timleo
May-05-2010, 3:00pm
Michigan!! Yeah dude you totally have to go to Elderly. I'll be 30 minutes from Lansing, in June for one of my performing contracts. I've been dreaming about going back to Elderly ever since I got my mando last year. They still have a used Weber I really really want that has been up on the wall since last I held it. ohh MAS.

Capt. E
May-05-2010, 4:03pm
Just to be clear and unambiguous...Elderly Instruments in Lansing is a mandolin mecca all on its own: http://www.elderly.com/highlights/mandolin.html

Go there and you will be able to try out more mandolins than you can absorb and evaluate in one visit.