PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got To Play a Jade

Caleb
May-02-2010, 9:12am
I went out to Waco Vintage Instruments yesterday in Mansfield to kick tires and look around. Man, what a shop! They had probably 30 mandolins on the wall, maybe more. I didn’t count them all.

There's just not another shop in the area that has the selection they have. They had a few Kentuckys, some Webers, a few Eastmans, even a Larrivee F-style (for $4k….sheesh!), a Redline traveler (serious tone!), a J. Bovier (Nice!), some old bowlbacks, a couple old Martin bent-tops, and other odds and ends. They also had a Weber bouzouki that was very, very nice.

But then I saw the Jades! I’ve been wanting to play one for a long time, or even look at one in person. They were both F-styles with a nice arm-rest installed (I’m guessing from the factory?). To my ear, they blew everything else in the store away, especially the sunburst one. Serious, serious volume and “bark.”

They appeared to be very well-built, but the finish did have some swirl marks here and there on one of them. The scrolls were tight, and overall, I was very, very impressed. If I were in the market for an F-style I’d have left with one of them.

All signs point to them being out of business, and that’s a shame; they made some really fine mandolins.

CES
May-02-2010, 9:23am
I've heard the same, which stinks as I'd been wanting to try one of their mandos as well. I'm curious to hear what happened, as they seemed to be building steam and a growing contingency...as a non-businessman I won't speculate...

jim_n_virginia
May-02-2010, 9:28am
If you went to a music shop that had THIRTY mandolins on the wall and a Jade was the best one .... something is definitely wrong! :grin:

Caleb
May-02-2010, 9:51am
If you went to a music shop that had THIRTY mandolins on the wall and a Jade was the best one .... something is definitely wrong! :grin:I hear you. In fairness, there were no Gibsons or Collings et al in the place. And the Webers were all flattops, so it would be apples and oranges. But in all honesty, unless you've played one, I wouldn't make any assumptions. They are very good instruments.

jim_n_virginia
May-02-2010, 10:07am
Nope no assumptions I am sure your assessment was probably right! A good playing and sounding mandolin is a good playing and sounding mandolin no matter who makes it.

I am thinking of the shop owner. I have a good friend who opened up a small music shop a while back and most people would not believe the loops they make you jump through and capital needed to stock Gibson, Martin and even Fender in a small shop! They make you buy a bazillion dollars worth of inventory before you can carry their brand.

And since mandolins move slower than guitars that's why you can walk in many shops and a lot of the mandolins are imports, used, trade ins etc.

JEStanek
May-02-2010, 10:11am
Thanks for the review. Hopefully, Bob can get back on his feet or whatever and make more of those mandolins. I never got to try one but I like the idea behind them and from the indications, they are good instruments too.

Jamie

Caleb
May-02-2010, 10:46am
Nope no assumptions I am sure your assessment was probably right! A good playing and sounding mandolin is a good playing and sounding mandolin no matter who makes it.

I am thinking of the shop owner. I have a good friend who opened up a small music shop a while back and most people would not believe the loops they make you jump through and capital needed to stock Gibson, Martin and even Fender in a small shop! They make you buy a bazillion dollars worth of inventory before you can carry their brand.

And since mandolins move slower than guitars that's why you can walk in many shops and a lot of the mandolins are imports, used, trade ins etc.
I hear you, Jim. There does appear to be a lot of red tape involved in carrying the big names now days. I don't understand all the ins and outs of it, but I've heard some from those in-the-know.

This particular shop has a lot of oddball stuff, mostly used. One of the Kentuckys was older and had "Made in Korea" on the label. I never knew they were ever made in Korea. I thought they were made in Japan and now in China. At any rate, the binding had all "yellowed" and faded, giving it a nice, vintage look. It sounded great, too.

One thing about the Larrivee that struck me was the neck profile. It's a very sharp "V" shape, almost too sharp for my taste. I'd have to get used to it. It sounded good, but didn't have the volume of the Jades. I own a Larrivee guitar that's a keeper, and have no doubt that if that Larrivee mando was set-up right it'd be one as well.

bratsche
May-02-2010, 1:11pm
If you went to a music shop that had THIRTY mandolins on the wall and a Jade was the best one .... something is definitely wrong! :grin:

".... THIRTY mandolins.... something is definitely wrong!"

Heeehee.... depends on your perspective, I guess. My response from where I sit was, "Wow, a music shop that has MANDOLINS in it!!"
:))

bratsche

Tracy Ballinger
May-09-2010, 4:18pm
As a Jade owner, I couldn't be happier with mine. It did have some fret issues, but after a refret by Will Kimble, it plays like butter. I had my teacher, Brian Aldridge, raise the bridge and put some heavier strings on it; it now rivals everything but his Loar, including his Red Diamond. He said that he would play it onstage anywhere. I have had the opportunity to compare it to Buckeyes, Red Diamonds, and various Gibsons in jam settings and I can always hear my Jade, even sitting behind it. It has incredible volume and bark, and is very well-balanced. Don't knock 'em until you can try one!

Tracy

skipdog
Jun-02-2012, 4:36am
Although your post is old you are right on with your take on the 'sunburst' Jade. I own it! I'm sellin' her on the Cafe because I own two others and I love the sound of her.

journeybear
Jun-02-2012, 4:58am
Although your post is old you are right on with your take on the 'sunburst' Jade. I own it! I'm sellin' her on the Cafe because I own two others and I love the sound of her.

So, what? Like Dino (kinda) said, You only sell the one you love? Not sure how you could have been a member for so long and not picked up on the fact that discussion of these things on the forum is OK but selling is limited to the classifieds.

skipdog
Jun-07-2012, 1:17pm
Sorry there, journey Bear, I thank you for your input! Keep "furthering the mandolin consiousness",just a bit farther in the other direction!

Capt. E
Jun-07-2012, 5:06pm
You weren't too far (1-1/2 hr or so) from Austin and Fiddlers Green Music Shop. Last I counted they had at least 30 mandolins on the wall: Weber, Kentucky, Eastman, Collings, Ellis, Altman, vintage Gibsons, etc., never seen a Jade in the shop though. I may have to drive up to Waco Vintage Instruments someday and see if they still have one.