PDA

View Full Version : Pickguard or not?

rf37
Apr-29-2010, 8:05pm
Thinking bout adding a pickguard to my mandolin. It is not a coolector...nor is it worth thousands. It is a Morgan Monroe MMS8 but worth more than money can say for me. Nice little piece of wood. Anyway..Just wanting some opinions on the matter in regard as to the effect it will have in tone and function. I like the appeareance of pickguards on F styles but looks are not everything to me especially if it effects tone in a negative way.
Just some opinions please

Thanks
rf37

jim_n_virginia
Apr-29-2010, 8:13pm
I used to take all the pickguards off of every mandolin I ever got and when I went to sell them I always had to clean and buff the mandolins so much plus there would be wear marks and play wear on the top where the pickguard would have been. The mandolin I had before this one I left it on. When I went to sell it, it was like new the pick guard protected a lot of the top. So I left it on this one I got now too.

It took a little getting used to it but now I appreciate what a pickguard does. Protects the top and helps keep it clean. I will leave mine on from now on. I'm used to it now so I don't even know it is there.

big smiley guy
Apr-29-2010, 9:55pm
I have a pickguard on mine and I've had it one and off and there's no change in tone. I know it's probably bad technique but I like resting my hand on it.

bjshear
May-10-2010, 4:46pm
I used to take all the pickguards off of every mandolin I ever got and when I went to sell them I always had to clean and buff the mandolins so much plus there would be wear marks and play wear on the top where the pickguard would have been. The mandolin I had before this one I left it on. When I went to sell it, it was like new the pick guard protected a lot of the top. So I left it on this one I got now too.

It took a little getting used to it but now I appreciate what a pickguard does. Protects the top and helps keep it clean. I will leave mine on from now on. I'm used to it now so I don't even know it is there.

Jim,
what do you mean by 'took a little getting used to it'. I am worried that I will scratch my mandolin, but how do you have to change your style. Can you rest your hand on the pickguard? It seems that when I am playing lead my right hand the way I play would be on top of where a pickguard would go for my mandolin, is that a problem???

Malcolm G.
May-10-2010, 5:28pm
I've had one on and off my Morgan Monroe - now it's back on.

Added a small one to my A Style Saga before I wore through the spruce top.

Gibson had em' - good enough for me!