PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this mandolin?

jmcardle
Apr-28-2010, 2:16pm
Found a picture of a mandolin that will be available in an upcoming auction I plan to attend. The photo doesn't show a lot of detail, but I thought the shape of the body was pretty unusual. Anyone know anything about this mando?

Jim Garber
Apr-28-2010, 2:30pm
Made by Kay Company looks like maybe 1950s.

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-28-2010, 2:39pm
Probably laminated B&S -- maybe solid top?

Jim Garber
Apr-28-2010, 3:07pm
I believe that these are also not carved but steam-bent or pressed. Some of it also depends on what level of quality this one is. In any case, they are not extremely fine mandolins but could be fun to play, if in good shape. I always liked that shape tho. Rick Turner makes modern guitars based on the Kay shape.

jim_n_virginia
Apr-29-2010, 12:47am
great mandolin to collect. not very good for playing. There are pretty affordable fortunately

Rob Gerety
Apr-29-2010, 6:43am
I once owned the guitar version of that mandolin. It was actually a really nice guitar for finger style blues. I have no clue about the mandos. Best to give it a whirl before bidding if you can.

nickster60
Apr-29-2010, 7:32am
You might also want to take a closer look at the center violin. It appears to be older you can tell by the chin rest.

Jim Nollman
May-01-2010, 6:05pm
I own a Kay with that same shape. Mine looks older than the one in the photo. The wood is steam pressed laminate.

I love the tone of mine. However it is not loud. I use mine exclusively in my living room to practice, which is an important part of my daily playing regimen. I never play it out of the house, where I choose from two other, louder instruments. Then again, i never play either of those loud instruments in my living room. I sometimes pick the Kay for recording, because the sound is as sweet as it gets. Mine plays like butter, despite other comments here. Then again, some of that sweetness and butter is due to the fact that I've had mine re-fretted, flattened the fingerboard, added new tuners, bridge, and tailpiece. Find them EBay for less than $300.

Ravenwood
May-01-2010, 7:18pm
You might also want to take a closer look at the center violin. It appears to be older you can tell by the chin rest.

I'm not sure I would go by the shape or condition of the chinrest in trying to determine the age of the violin. To me that particular chinrest just looks like a Glaesel. Also, it is really easy to switch chinrests or any other part, so that by itself isn't really a good indicator. My 1880's German made Amati copy, for example has a relatively new chinrest and tailpiece that I put on a couple of years ago.

nickster60
May-02-2010, 7:56am
Ravenwood that is why you need to take a closer look. You never know with violins what you might find. Over the years I have found some nice violins. Not fiddles but full blown quality violins hiding in the strangest places.

jmcardle
May-03-2010, 10:37am
Thanks for all the comments, folks. I'll let you know if I get it.

KristinEliza
May-03-2010, 10:45am
Looks like the violin case might be a Sheryl & Roth case. If it's a Roth violin (especially an older one) those are some pretty nice players!

jmcardle
May-14-2010, 11:51am
Well, I went to the auction. The Kay was in really rough shape. Lots of cracks in the top and back. Looked like it was stored in a very humid place. Too bad.