PDA

View Full Version : Willie Nelson: Country Music CD Review

Dennis Ladd
Apr-27-2010, 11:41am
On impulse I got the new Willie Nelson "Country Music" CD at Starbucks last Saturday. It was produced by T Bone Burnett and promised fiddles, banjos and mandolins so I went for it.

Antone buying the CD for mando content will be disappointed. Both Ronnie McCoury and Mike Compton are on it and the producer commits the sin most country producers make that don't understand bluegrass: They don't give them any breaks!!!

Imagine it . . . Ronnie McCoury and Mike Compton relegated to rhythm status for almost the entire CD. RM gets a nice snappy break off in the middle of "Man with the Blues" and a nice tremolo intro to "Ocean of Diamonds" but that's it. Mike Compton gets a few fills here and there but nothing else. What a waste - I hope they got paid a lot. Stuart Duncan on fiddle and Riley Baugus on banjo get a few moments but not enough for these ears.

So that leaves the songs. Willie Nelson sings in his usual relaxed style and there were a couple of songs that got me. I never heard "Seaman's Blues" before and his "Pistol Packin' Mama" is a joy. I'll keep both of them for future reference. He beefs up the pace on "Freight Train Boogie" and does fine on "Man with the Blues" - but haven't we heard these before with more energy and excitement? Del McOury's version of "Man with the Blues" stands alone for me and Ronnie gets a true bluegrass break that has everything you'd want. Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen do a great version of "My Baby's Gone" that leaves this one in the dust.

So this CD is not a keeper for me.

An interesting question for another thread: Who in country music understands how to let their backup musicians fly? My first two nominees: Ricky Skaggs (of course) and Rodney Crowell.

Anybody else hear this CD?

Christian McKee
Apr-27-2010, 12:52pm
I've heard a few of the tunes on the radio, and I thought they sounded great! It's a Willie record rather than a Mike/Ronnie record, and it's called "Country Music" rather than "Bluegrass Music," so I'm not entirely sure why it would come as a total surprise that there aren't any 'bluegrass breaks.' All that said, I'd be willing to bet that if Mike/Ronnie/Other great player guested with Willie Nelson and Family there would be a break or two or three.

Willie's sensibilities (and I think T-Bone's, but I don't know his material as well) have always leaned towards serving the lyric and melody, even at the expense of how own great guitar playing, but the tapestries he and his band weave are nearly always rich and engaging.

Christian

woodysny
Apr-29-2010, 6:58pm
I have this album and I think it is a fantastic CD. Best one from Willie in quite some time. I have played several cuts on my weekly radio show and will play some more this week and beyond. Lots of familiar tunes done "Willie-style", which I really enjoy. The fact that the studio musicians are giants of bluegrass and great musicians is a bonus. This CD is classic Willie at his best.