PDA

View Full Version : Darol Anger & Mike Marshall

Feb-12-2004, 1:20pm
Noticed them on the schedule for a local venue - State Theater in Falls Church, VA. #What styles of music to they play on their shows?

GeoMandoAlex
Feb-12-2004, 1:23pm
I've only seen Darol Anger play with YMSB in Philly this past Fall. Great fiddle player. That's all I know or have seen/heard.

John Rosett
Feb-12-2004, 2:15pm
i saw darol and mike way back when they released "the duo" album. (late 80's?) it was one of the most entertainining shows i've ever seen. i've also seen them as part of grisman's band, and as part of the "new acoustic music congress" band with tony rice, john reichman, and todd phillips. another amazing show. mike and darol bring out the wackiest in each other, and if you see them, i'd imagine you'll hear fiddle tunes, jazz, classical, and just about anything else you can imagine. i wish they were coming to montana....
john

Jim M.
Feb-12-2004, 2:33pm
Definitely go see them. Check out their Duo Live album. Just freakin' amazing the music they can get out of two little instruments (some not so little, since Mike plays his Martin guitar and Monteleone mandocello too). And they play everything, like mandorose said. Their own compositions, jazz, bluegrass, old time, probably some choro, Irish, Scandinavian, classical -- and it's all good. The only thing I've never seen them do is sing.

John Rosett
Feb-12-2004, 10:15pm
jim-
duo live album? i don't have that. i have the studio album. any info on where i can get it?
thanks, john

CharlieKnuth
Feb-13-2004, 6:54am
Tim-n-VA,

When are they playing in Falls Church? I have heard their live recording - wonderful music. I would love to see them play - both are great musicians and they make amazing music together.

jim simpson
Feb-13-2004, 7:47am
Saw them as part of Psychograss some years back. Interesting material - I think they put our two cd's.

AlanN
Feb-13-2004, 7:57am
They've been great down through the years/decades. An early band was called Sahib, I have 2 CDs from that period, just great, though the sound is somewhat muffled.

Brad Weiss
Feb-13-2004, 8:00am
Marshall and Anger are coming here to Chapel Hill in early March and I can't wait to see 'em! Last year about this time I saw Mike with Edgar Meyer, another of his regular collaborators. It was an amazing show, entirely unmiked, and including an ecclectic blend of fiddle tunes, bluegrass, jazz, Bach, and more. #It was simply one of the best shows I've seen -and given Mike and Darol's decades of work together I'm guessing this will be at least as good.

Don't miss it!

Feb-13-2004, 8:03am
CharlieKnuth: #They are at the State Theater (http://www.thestatetheater.com/), Sunday March 7. #Tickets are $16 (plus Ticketmaster's cut I assume).

Jim M.
Feb-13-2004, 11:26am
Mandorose - It's called "The Duo Live: At Home and On the Range". You can get it direct from Darol at

http://www.darolanger.com/cds.html

but Amazon has it too. It's a must have IMHO.

Christopher Howard-Williams
Feb-13-2004, 11:53am
I saw them too at the time of Duo. It was 1984 in Toulouse France. A great show, entertaining is the right word - there was plenty of humour in there as well as great musicianship.

CharlieKnuth
Feb-13-2004, 2:54pm
Tim-n-VA,

Thanks for the information. I have ordered my tickets today for the show. Have you been to the State Theater in Falls Church. If so, how is it as a venue. The floor plan looks a bit odd and the idea of having a bunch of people stand of a concert doesn't excite me. Any insights could be helpful. I am looking forward to this with great anticipation.

--charlie

elenbrandt
Feb-13-2004, 8:51pm
I have seen them as far back as the late '70s when they were playing with the "Big G" (yes, I am that damn old). Their sets may range as far and wide as their tastes and talents (which is pretty diverse). Will you see more consummate musicians -- I can't imagine where. Their performances are always an education.....

Greg H.
Feb-13-2004, 11:29pm
BradW are they coming back to the community church where they played a year and a half ago? Perhaps even more importantly, do you know if they're going to be doing another workshop at the Music Explorium in Carrboro? That was even better than the performance in the church, as there were only about 15-20 of us in a small music store--like a private performance with some instruction thrown in along the way.

Feb-15-2004, 7:06pm
CharlieKnuth-

I was out of town. There a stage (obviously), ususally some folding chairs directly in front of that. Back a little and on both side are tables where you can get food. There is a standing only area toward the back. There is an upstairs balcony area that has a unobstructed view but is not too close. I've been to two shows there, once in the balcony, once at a table about mid-way back. I'd have to rate it okay (not great, not terrible) as a venue.

CharlieKnuth
Feb-17-2004, 7:13am
Tim-n-VA,

Thanks for the information. I don't plan on making table reservations, but hope to get a decent place to sit. I don't want to stand and am looking forward to the performance. I am taking my girlfriend and introducing her to their music. It should be fun.

--charlie

Tony G
Feb-23-2004, 11:47am
Hi All,

Yes, Mike and Darol are absolutely one of the most interesting, creative and musically rewarding performers you'll hear these days. My wife and I run Community Church Coffeehouse Concert Series (http://www.communitychurchcoffeehouse.org/concerts.htm), where one of the repliers saw Mike and Edgar. We are hosting Mike and Darol for the third time on March 6th, this time with special guest, cellist Matt Haimowitz! If you're in the area this is a great chance to see them in a small concert venue with wonderful acoustics.

Also, for you mandolinists and fiddlers out there, Mike and Darol are doing simultanious intermediate classes on Friday, March 5th from 3 to 5 PM. The class sizes are limitted to 15 students for ample personal time and instruction. For information on class registration call the Music Explorium at 919-969-8400.

Again, it's really nice to hear positive feedback about our venue and, of course, about Mike and Darol, two of my favorite acoustic musicians and wonderful friends.

Hope to see a few of you at the show!

Tony Galfano

Tremolo
Mar-08-2004, 12:43pm
Went to the show at the State theater...

All I have to say is: Mindblowing.

They jammed so hard and with so much passion. It was a scene. When I left I couldn't stop smiling and I felt as if my heart and soul opened up...You could sense that the crowd was really into it too. Mike and Darol kept commenting on how great the acoustics were in the room, so I'm guessing if they tour again, they'll be back at the State theatre. If you ever get a chance to see these guys, DO NOT HESITATE! Buy tickets to see them.

Brad Weiss
Mar-08-2004, 1:12pm
Ditto for the show Saturday night in Chapel Hill. Really a rocking show- Mike played EVERY instrument, probably more mandocello than anything else. Thanks for arranging such a great show, Tony G (and for setting up the workshop which I also attended).

CharlieKnuth
Mar-08-2004, 1:42pm
Tremolo,

I was there and sat on the third row from the stage. What a great concert. You could feel the energy flowing back and forth and out to the audience. The music was more amazing than I had expected. What a real treat to see these guys in concert. The down side is, I am not sure I want to pick up my mandocello again, but I will. I loved the interaction of the fiddle and the 'cello.

Mar-09-2004, 9:30am
The Washington Post will no longer allow web viewing of stuff with out registering. #They gave the show a generally positive review. #I found the following section interesting:

...virtuosity for its own sake gets old quick...the 75-minute set never felt like a showoff showcase.