PDA

View Full Version : What's the widest neck on a mandolin?

KATMAN
Apr-26-2010, 9:04pm
I got a cheap China,Korean,or Indonesian guitar with a tiny neck.Playing a A four fingered barre chord seems almost imposible.I mostly stick with two finger chords and play mostly in G.What's the widestr neck for an inexpensive mandolin? Or are they all small? I got big fingers,so how do I adjust?

RBMB
Apr-26-2010, 10:21pm
I'm playing a mandolin with a 1 3/16 inch neck (at the nut) and love it. I used to have a standard 1 1/8" Weber and it was much harder for me to play, although most people seem to find it to be fine. When I first began looking I could only find inexpensive mandolins with the standard necks, but recently I was told that you can get inexpensive mandolins at a small price. If you would like the name of the shop that told me they could a wider neck in a few hundred dollar mandolin send me a private message and I'll forward it to you. (They had a booth at a local festival. I have no connection to the shop and have not even visited it.)

big smiley guy
Apr-26-2010, 10:35pm
I've heard of some that have 1-1/4" nuts. I think Weber makes a couple of models and that Mid Missouri Mandos have offer it. A Collings wide is 1-3/16" I believe. Mine has a 1-1/8" nut but is radiused which, IMO, makes it a bit easier to fret. Not sure why but it seems less crowded that way.

mandroid
Apr-27-2010, 7:33pm
Radim Zinkle gets his made for him, they are really wide . it's what he wants.

I'd ask some builders what they can do to satisfy your needs .. if you can accept a flat top and back,

because its less labor, a domestically made mandolin is more modestly priced ..
than a carved archtop..

and you can call the builder on the phone and chat with them.

music notes are the same..