PDA

View Full Version : One ugly tenor guitar

Charles E.
Apr-25-2010, 7:47pm
This is for sale on eBay, it's not easy being green. :))

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-OLD-KRAFTSMAN-KAY-VINTAGE-OLD-TENOR-/300420708812?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item45f27839cc

Jill McAuley
Apr-25-2010, 8:21pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I think that's awesome!

Cheers,
Jill

MikeEdgerton
Apr-25-2010, 9:08pm
It's a Kay tenor, probably from the 30's... in green. It has a certain amount of charm.

Mike Snyder
Apr-25-2010, 9:25pm
Looks pretty sweet to me.

Bob Andress
Apr-25-2010, 9:44pm
Some may like it, others not so much. But I do think that when you're selling something on e-bay you should try to keep your bra and the commode out of the picture unless, of coures, you're selling a bra or a commode.

Greg Stec
Apr-25-2010, 9:55pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I think that's awesome!

Cheers,
Jill

I thought it was "beauty is in the eye of the BEER holder?"

JEStanek
Apr-25-2010, 10:04pm
I kind of dig it. The green compliments the extra details above the tailpiece. Plus, as you start to play it and you miss some notes you can say, "I'm kind of a green player with this..."

Jamie

Kevin Knippa
Apr-25-2010, 11:44pm
I believe Old Kraftsman was the house brand of the Spiegel mail-order catalog, though they were manufactured by Kay as I understand.

Jim Garber
Apr-26-2010, 9:09am
The bra and the commode complements the guitar as well. Besides the guitar also sports the vintage upchuck pickguard. If I had one I would play it with a clown barf pick and a Nudie suit. Perfect!!

violmando
Apr-26-2010, 9:52am
Ditto...I'd get it because it's unique. Y

MikeEdgerton
Apr-26-2010, 9:57am
I believe Old Kraftsman was the house brand of the Spiegel mail-order catalog, though they were manufactured by Kay as I understand.

You are correct, it was a Spiegel brand name and not a Sears brand name. Most if not all were built by Kay. For posterity, here is the instrument in question.

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-26-2010, 11:24pm
I didn't see the bra and the commode until it was mentioned.... now I can't see the guitar...

Frank Russell
Aug-22-2010, 2:29am
I just got a much plainer Old Kraftsman tenor on eBay, and it plays like a dream in GDAE. I was expecting the worst, and got a pleasant surprise. Beautiful tone, structurally sound, no cracks, just some deteriorating lacquer and lots of play wear.

journeybear
Aug-22-2010, 8:27am
Not for nothing, but what is the back story here? It looks like a 70s-era bedroom (the carpeting) that's been cleared out, with a suitcase packed and ready for the inhabitants to skedaddle, then suddenly Ralph turns to Madge and says, "Shoot honey, we need more gas money to get to Reno. Let's put that danged old funny-lookin' guitbox up on the ebay. Here, I'll just lean it up aginst the closet door mirror so's folks can see its backside." Though I still don't understand why the, er, throne isn't enclosed somehow ...

Pretty weird. :confused: