PDA

View Full Version : Elkhorn mandolins go on the tour with Zac Brown Band and Joey and

Elkhorn1
Apr-22-2010, 3:22pm
I've learned over the last couple of years that not only do you have to build a great instrument but you need to become a shameless self promoter as well. Recently I hooked up with the Grammy winning Zac Brown Band and ACM Top new country duo Joey and Rory on tour. I have a good friend, Barry Waldrep who is performing with both groups and is and incredible mandolin, banjo, and guitar player.
I got a call from Barry asking me to bring a few of my mandolins to a performance that was relatively close to home, so I loaded up the truck and headed out to see them all perform. If you haven't seen any of these folks yet you are missing a real treat! After the show Zac Brown Band members and Barry and I all sat around passing mandolins back and fourth. Zac ended up wanting to buy my personel mandolin (one I've been playing for two years) and Rory ended up buying another distressed model I had brought along. Needless to say I couldn't have been more excited about all that trasnpired!
I'm still working on Barry, we just haven't found the right Elkhorn for him yet but I'm working on one right now that might fancy his pleasure. I just wanted to share this experience with the mandolin world as times like these are sweeter when shared with others who can appreciate it.
Anyone else out there had similar experiences? I'd love to hear about it. Come visit my website some time, I've got some great mandolins available right now! http://www.elkhornmandolins.com

Fstpicker
Apr-22-2010, 10:30pm
Some nice sounding mandolins you have made. I just listened to them on your site. Very cool!

Jeff

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-22-2010, 11:50pm
Robb - There's nothing 'shameless' about promotoing instruments as beautiful as the ones i've just seen on your site,or yourself as the builder. Quite the opposite,you'd be doing us a great dis-service in NOT doing so. I've rarely seen instruments made from woods so beautiful - the Koa one is simply awesome & that's not an opinion,that's a fact,
Ivan:cool:

Jordan Ramsey
Apr-23-2010, 12:44am
I recently visited Robb's shop and was fortunate to sample about 4 or 5 of his mandolins. Really interesting tonal differences with these wood choices, the mandolins are both cosmetically and tonally gorgeous. Thanks for having me over, Robb, congrats on the high profile sale.

Bill James
Apr-23-2010, 7:44am
Rob that is just awsome! I know I'm not supposed to, but I love the Zac Brown Band! Liking them gives me a reason to have one more thing in common with my kids. From now on, when I listen to them I'll be thinking about Elkhorn mandolins.

Go Elkhorn! :mandosmiley:

Trey Young
Apr-23-2010, 2:36pm
Good news, good news!

Mark Walker
Apr-23-2010, 2:54pm
:mandosmiley: Cool beans! I'm pleased and proud of all the outstanding luthiers who are part of the Mandolin Cafe family! Any recognition of their efforts out among the 'professional circuit' is great stuff!

Keep up the great work!

Elkhorn1
Apr-29-2010, 4:50pm
Thanks for all the nice comments about my mandolins going on tour with the Zac Brown Band. It's pretty exciting to have some high profile people playing your instruments. Looking forward to seeing both of those mandolins again some day, it's kind of like your kids leaving the house to go to college and you're not quite sure when you see them again. I've found as a builder that I become quite attached to my instruments during the building process. Every instrument has it's own personality and unique characteristics. Hey Jordan, it was great meeting you! You're one hell of a mandolin player!!

Nelson Peddycoart
May-15-2010, 10:27am
I have been admiring your work lately on Facebook. Very nice...