PDA

View Full Version : Tremolo

banjoboy
Apr-20-2010, 11:45pm
I've been working on my tremolo. One thing I've been trying that seems to help is doing is dragging my pick across the fretboard so there is no issue of the pick going to deep or not deep enough. Is that ok or is it poor technique?

Capt. E
Apr-21-2010, 9:17am
You certainly don't want to dig deeply into the strings for tremolo. A relatively light touch is needed. The angle of the pick, both vertically and relative to the line of the strings is important. The pick shape can also have a very big effect; many people use the rounded corner instead of the point. Tremolo is not really simple, it is a fairly advanced technique that takes a lot of practice. It would be good to have an experienced teacher observe your technique and suggest any changes.

banjoboy
Apr-21-2010, 9:24pm
Yeah, I've been told that it takes a while to develop a good tremelo...one that looks and sound effortless. I've noticed that many, if not most players will tremelo over the neck area, which I assumed was because of the sweet sound that one gets from playing in that area. But I was wondering if playing there also is done because, as I've found, it's easier to drag the pick back and forth, touching the pick tip against the fretboard. So I was asking if that's the case, or if it's bad technique and bad for the mandolin to do that.

Phil Goodson
Apr-21-2010, 9:37pm
Read these threads. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=115591)
Especially "Temolo the Terrible"

Lotta info there.

Tom Humphreys
Apr-21-2010, 9:39pm
Hey Phil, I was interested but the link pooped out. Do over?

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-22-2010, 12:42am
Somewhere down the line,if you play Bluegrass,you're going to need tremolo as part of a tune. Especially if the tune's a 'classic' tune that you want to perform as authentically as you can.
I'm not great at tremolo,but i'm working on it & the way i've found that 'works for me',is to make up my own little tunes,using 'all tremolo'. That way i keep it interesting by seeing what i can come up with 'musically' as part of the excercise.That's just the way i work it to stop from getting bored,
Ivan

mando_dan
Apr-22-2010, 7:48am
I find it next to impossible! Maybe more practice would help but I prefer to pick. Time...

toddjoles
Apr-22-2010, 10:35am
Here's what helped me get a handle on tremolo. First don't try to pick each note, just brush the strings. Second, remember TREMOLO IS IN TIME. Play 2 measures of 1/4 notes, next play 2 measures of 1/8 notes, next play 2 measures of 1/16 notes, next play 2 measures of 1/32 notes. At most bluegrass speeds 1/16 and 1/32 notes are tremolo. As for not enough time, you can play alot of 1/32 notes in a minute. Lastly pick a tune like Ashokan Farewell that has alot of tremolo, learn it, then make it your own..

Phil Goodson
May-30-2010, 12:16pm
Hey Phil, I was interested but the link pooped out. Do over?

Sorry Tom. I lost this thread for a while.

Try this link (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=204847). Again, "Tremolo the terrible" is a good thread.

evanreilly
May-30-2010, 3:45pm
Monroe was really good for his ability to transition from single string to tremolo in a break.
I try to practice tremolo a lot; my fave routine is to play slow scales in tremolo; sometimes solo and sometimes with the Metronome Mountain Boys.

Don Raven
May-30-2010, 7:17pm
Monroe was really good for his ability to transition from single string to tremolo in a break.
I try to practice tremolo a lot; my fave routine is to play slow scales in tremolo; sometimes solo and sometimes with the Metronome Mountain Boys.

I use the train technique to practice-I start out with slow up and downs 1/8 notes, procede to 1/16 notes and then ramp up to my tremolo. The trick is to use the same motion for all the notes and make it feel like a train starting out slowly and gradually picking up steam until you are highballin. Keep the wrist and forearm relaxed-a tight forearm and wrist constricts the tremolo sound.If I choke the pick, everything tightens up and it sounds terrible so I hold the pick as loose as I can. Sounds goofy but it works for me.