PDA

View Full Version : Blue Chip Picks

bluesman
Apr-20-2010, 12:36pm
I have been hearing some pretty good things about these picks.

What say the masses???

I currently use anything as long as its a Dunlap between .89-1.0mm.... what would be the best suggestion as for a model Blue Chip offers??

Thanks in advance!!

buckles
Apr-20-2010, 12:41pm
here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?39347-Blue-chip-picks&highlight=blue+chip+picks) is the granddad of blue chip pick threads with over 1000 responses.... :-)

Mike Bunting
Apr-20-2010, 12:43pm
Type "Blue Chip Picks" into the Search app at the top right of this page. You've been on the 'cafe for 2 years, how did you miss the relevant discussions? :)

bluesman
Apr-20-2010, 1:02pm
didn't log in before I searched... sorry guys-

fatt-dad
Apr-20-2010, 2:57pm
I think you'd like the 40 thickness. It's about the thinnest (I think). I got the CT 55 with one rounded corner and it's great! I'd been using the large Ultex triangle in 1.14 or so. . .

(didn't read the long thread either.)

f-d

300win
Apr-20-2010, 5:37pm
As 'Tony the Tiger' says about Frosted Flakes, "they're great !!!!!" So say I about the BC's\

Mike Bunting
Apr-20-2010, 8:31pm
didn't log in before I searched... sorry guys-
No problem, did you find enough info ? :)

Ole Joe Clark
Apr-20-2010, 8:39pm
What is a Blue Chip pick?

Just kidding. :-)

jim_n_virginia
Apr-20-2010, 9:08pm
Never heard of them ... are they any good??? :popcorn:

B. T. Walker
Apr-20-2010, 10:07pm
As our jam was headed out the door of the local guitar shop tonight, the fiddle player (!?!?) asked the shop owner if he had any Blue Chip picks. I asked if she was planning to use it on her fiddle. No, she has taken the plunge buying a Fender mandolin from one of the big box stores (hurray for her). She wondered how much they cost since she heard they were pricey. When she heard the amount, she asked to see other picks and was directed to Golden Gate. She felt better about their value. I admit I do, too.

buckles
Apr-21-2010, 11:14am
Whatever else you may want to say about Blue Chip, Matthew has really got his production going. I put in an order this morning, with some custom options. Less than one hour after placing the order, I received an email that the status of the order was "Shipped."

Amazing!

JeffD
Apr-21-2010, 11:39am
She wondered how much they cost since she heard they were pricey. When she heard the amount, she asked to see other picks and was directed to Golden Gate. She felt better about their value. .

I would be interested to know how she feels about the value after trying each of them. Saving money buying things that don't do the job to your expectations is never a good value, spending money on things that do what you want better than other things may be the better value.

Playing violin, she already understands that the pick is as important as the bow in making the music, and she is used to paying a pretty penny for a good bow.

B. T. Walker
Apr-21-2010, 5:31pm
Playing violin, she already understands that the pick is as important as the bow in making the music, and she is used to paying a pretty penny for a good bow.

That's a fact. Nothing about violins is cheap. I have two daughters that have been in orchestra. I wish they'd stuck with it for lifetimes of pleasure since they both like music, but my wallet sure is glad they quit.

Our fiddle player might eventually buy a Blue Chip, but she wasn't sure she wanted to lay out $35 as a beginner. The shop owner didn't not recommend them; he gave them lots of praise and said mando players were crazy about them. Told her to try George "GRW3" Wilson's two BCs next time we jam (he likes them). He just gave her other options besides the top end, and she got a Golden Gate, which is a very good pick (I like them).

I bought a BC, but I can't detect enough difference in how I play/sound to justify buying another one.

B. T. Walker
Apr-21-2010, 5:33pm
Oops. Just meant to edit, not post again. Please see lucky post #13.

Capt. E
Apr-22-2010, 8:40am
I have tried Dawg picks, Golden Gate, cheap no names, but have settled on two Blue Chip picks as my main picking tools. A TPR 40 and a TPR 50. I mainly use the 50. I really love the one rounded corner for tremelo etc. There is a definite tone and pick noise difference between the 40 and 50. Neither is better, just different. You have to experience it. Haven't tried anything thicker than the 50.