PDA

View Full Version : David Peters

mandology
Sep-22-2004, 8:58am
A friend just gave me a copy of David Peters (mandolin), Kelly Lancaster (guitar), and Lex Valk (bass), live at Ovations (I don't know where that is) in 1996. Man, those guys are sick!! Peters is an incredible mandolin player. Lancaster is an absolute monster too. I hadn't heard of him before just a couple weeks ago, and then I finally got to hear him. I wish people were more aware of these cats. He's one of the greatest mandolin players I've heard. The tunes on this CD are (some of them are Peters' originals, I think): Nano's Back!, Blue Six, Ivanhoe, Body and Soul, Dark Eyes, I've Found a New Baby, Frevo Resgado, Over the Rainbow, We Three (you might recognize that from Mike Marshall's "Gator Strut" album), Scrapple from the Apple (a great version), and Fast Floyd (A Tony Rice tune, I think). Lancaster is one of those guys where you can really hear some very heavy Tony Rice and equally as heavy Django influences. He's got his own thing though. Lots of triplets. You can tell he's got a strong attack. Anyway, if anybody is interested in hearing this, I'd be happy to spread it around. If you like New Acoustic or Jazz, you'll love it. I don't know if I can send it over the internet, but I'd be happy to burn copies for people.

Grant

Gary
Sep-22-2004, 9:15am
Grant,

I'd love a copy. Dave Peters' version of dark eyes is included in the mel bay's master anthology of mandolin solos (vol 1). The recording of the tune is great and there are other tunes in the book that i think make it worthwhile.

gary

mandology
Sep-22-2004, 9:47am
you can e mail me at djangology11@hotmail. I guess you can "PM" me (or something), too, I just got one of those a minute ago.

Jon Hall
Sep-28-2004, 9:49pm
Grant

I'd like to hear recording you've got. I never met Dave Peters before he died but I know Kelly and have picked with him. He's just as powerful on the mando as he is the guitar. Kelly is a really nice, funny guy. He encourages the people he plays with but is always challenging. If you could send me a copy I would appreciate it and would reciprocate with something from my recordings. Email me at my mando cafe mail box. Kelly's website is www.highlonesomegypsy.com

Jon

John Soper
Sep-29-2004, 3:47pm
Grant:

If you're making copies, I'd love one- can email me out of forum at soper001@mc.duke.edu.

John

dave
Sep-29-2004, 6:15pm
Has anyone had a response from Grant? I e-mail him the first day this was posted and have not had a reply,I would love to have a copy.
Dave.

Karen Kay
Sep-29-2004, 6:36pm
Us too!
KK & RT

Mandomax
Oct-05-2004, 6:11am
Man o man!!! Just got my copy that djangology burned for me! These guys are just killin' it! Dave's tone is gorgeous, almost sounds like the tone John or Al got on their nylon strings on "Live in San Francisco." "Dark Eyes" is scorching, with both Kelly and Dave's solos going for broke. Amazing show-thanks for the hook-up. This is serious inspiration for jazz mandolin-tone, timing, attack- it's a primer on the genre. Dave Peters goes into my pantheon of jazz mando greats with Jethro and Don S. Highly recommended.

Justin Carvitto
Oct-08-2004, 3:02pm
Max, would you be interested in a swap of cds? I would like to give a listen.

Justin

Mandomax
Oct-11-2004, 6:29am
Drop me a line with your address- I'll hook you up. This music is too killer not to turn people on. I have listened to this disc at least 30 times since I've gotten it. Dave's pickin on Fravo Rasgado(sp?) is stunning. Like the mando-continuation of "Friday Night in San Francisco."

Charlie Ayers
Oct-14-2004, 8:32am
Hi Max:

I would love to do a trade too; I'll send you a PM.

My email is smcayers@ihc.com

Thanks,
Charlie

arrowmandolin
Oct-14-2004, 9:00am
Still burning? Boy I'd love to get one as well.......
Let me know what you'd want to trade.
pablo@arrowguitar.com

250sc
Oct-15-2004, 6:06am
If one of you would consider making me a copy I'd be happy to pay for the CD and shipping.

Please contact me at charland24@aol.com

Thanks.

Brad Weiss
Oct-15-2004, 8:20am
Me too!!

PM at blweis@wm.edu

Thanks

ethanopia
Oct-15-2004, 10:42am
If anyone is interested in burning me a copy I'm interested too. I've never heard of these guys but with advertising like, equal parts Tony and Django your talking my language. I'll do a trade of some sort...perhaps I will PM some of you that got it.

250sc
Oct-15-2004, 2:19pm
ethanopia,

Check out the 'Art in America' CD by Dave Peters. You can still purchase it through 'The Man with the Mandolin Foundation'. There is a link on the mandolincafe homepage.

It can take a while for them to send it to you but it's worth the wait.

frogisland
Nov-30-2004, 12:18pm
There's another CD you folks should be aware of. James McKinney's 1990 (I think) album has just been reissued on CD. It features Kelly on every single track, and Dave on several of the tracks. Plus Randy Howard. McKinney is a banjo player, but this not typical banjo music. Some very hot picking here, and some explosive runs by Kelly. There is a link to the CD on Kelly's website (highlonesomegypsy.com), and you can hear excerpts from the CD on either Kelly's website or the linked website - I forget which.

I also whole heartedly recommend "Art in America" as someone has already mentioned.

Bill

Mando Mark in Indy
Nov-30-2004, 1:31pm
I met David in Houston at the Mucky Duck many years ago. What an awesome player! I even bought one of his books - 150 tunes transcribed from the masters. Great guy, great place, great music! That's my $.02 worth!

Mark

Mandomax
Nov-30-2004, 11:20pm
Merry Christmas!! Finally got a computer with burning capacity. Sending off a bunch of CDs tomorrow. Try to get the rest out the day after. If anybody here wants one, I hope someone who got one already can pass the music along. Here is the setlist, because I am too lazy to write it on every single CD.
Dave Peters- Kelly Lancaster-Lex Valk-Live at Guatrons(sp?) 3/27/96
1. Nano's Back
2.Blue Six
3.Ivanhoe
4.Body and Soul
5.Dark Eyes
6. I've found a new baby
7. Frevo Resgado
8.Over the Rainbow
9. Out of Nowhere
10. We Three
11. Scrapple from the Apple
12. Fast Floyd
Enjoy and keep on pickin'! This stuff has been blowing my mind for awhile. Hope it does the same for you.

glauber
Nov-30-2004, 11:26pm
I'd love a copy, if someone could burn me one. I'll pay the expense, and burn more copies as needed. I'm in IL, USA. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

brandon
Nov-30-2004, 11:27pm
If I was DP and I saw this thread I would be http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Mandomax
Dec-01-2004, 7:10am
I am under this impression that this was a show designed for trading. If it is available for purchase, my sincere apologies. After hearing this, I went and bought "Art in America,"the only CD of his I could find legally. I try and support Dave's family and the Man with the Mandolin Foundation any way I can. Dave is no longer with us, and I hope he is up in heaven, happy that we are trying to preserve and spread his legacy. As a 3-time Winfield winner and master of so many styles, he deserves to be more widely heard. Happy holidays!

glauber
Dec-01-2004, 7:21am
I am under this impression that this was a show designed for trading.
That's what i thought too. If it's otherwise, i'm sorry. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

AlanN
Dec-01-2004, 7:30am
If anybody can work out the chords to Fast Floyd, I'd be grateful (and will shoot you a copy of a live Gaudreau/Keith Whitley 1972 show) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Harrmob
Dec-21-2004, 1:24pm
Fast Floyd and several of those are songs (scapple, blue six, out of nowhere) are transcribed, Tabledited and available at mandozine.com #I am going to lock myself in a room for a week. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

250sc
Dec-21-2004, 2:24pm
MandoMax,

Could you please contact me at your convenience.

charland24@aol.com

Thanks.

Mandomax
Dec-21-2004, 3:22pm
250sc,
Check your email or PM your address. Santa will stop pickin' long enough to get you one. ;)

kbarry
Dec-22-2004, 3:22pm
Now that the rush is over, I have listen to the tabs at Mandozine and these sound like killer tunes. Mandomax are you still in the CD burning business? If you are my e-mail address is kbarry@epri.com.

I am still less than two years on the Mando, but the acoustic blues and jazz are starting to really get me excited. I just got the Mandolin Blues CD and can't stop listening to it.

Thanks,

Dfyngravity
Dec-24-2004, 4:39pm
I'd love to get a copy Dfyngravity@comcast.net if you are still making copies. Thanks

Django Fret
Dec-28-2004, 10:53am
I recieved "Gypsy Violin" (Mary Ann Harbar's Mel Bay instruction book and CD)as a Christmas present and was looking through the book and noticed it has Dave Peters credited with playing the Mandolin parts along with the "Recording and Mixdown".

The CD that is included in the book has some wonderful Gypsy Mandolin playing by Dave on it. If you like Gypsy music, it is great to hear him playing with a lot of other very talented musicicans.

Does anyone know if he did any other recordings or instructional materials that are still available?

250sc
Dec-28-2004, 12:08pm
Django...,

I assume you have Art in America?

AlanN
Dec-28-2004, 12:29pm
...and DawgFinger?

Django Fret
Dec-28-2004, 1:29pm
Not yet, but where can I order "Dawgfinger"? I found ""Art in America" at Mid Continet, but couldn't find the other one using Google.