PDA

View Full Version : Furch Mandolins?

DMC
Sep-22-2004, 6:03am
There's a store not too far from me that have several Furch mandolins in stock. I believe they are hand made, carved top and back mandos from a luthier in the Czech Rep.

Should I make the trip to try them out? Anyone played them?

Martin Jonas
Sep-22-2004, 8:28am
I haven't seen them, but there's some previous discussion here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=13790;hl=furch) (where one of the Czech Cafe members doesn't recommend them) and here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=12860;hl=furch) (where another one does recommend them). Also, have a look at the instrument pictures and descriptions at the Acoustic Music Company (http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/) in Brighton/UK (look under mandolins-makers-Furch). You take your pick.

Martin

craigtoo
Sep-22-2004, 8:37am
I would say that they sound better than a Tacmoa M1, but not as good as an MK that's set up real well..

The playability IMHO would fall below M1 but would be comparable to the MK.

It's always worth it to travel to play a mando...! You may love it!

Just been my experience...

craig

Tom C
Sep-22-2004, 8:45am
The scrolls look funny

craigtoo
Sep-22-2004, 8:52am
Scrolls look even funnier on a Tacoma M1 though.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

HoGo
Sep-23-2004, 6:23am
I'm from Slovakia not Czech republic, though a couple oh years ago we used to be one state...
As I stated before I played at least dozen of Furch mandolins. Some sounded very good and played easily, but there is problem with the pressed tops... solid wood, but they have to use much higher braces than normal and I've seen three or four of them with sunken tops. I'm talking about 1/4" here not 1/32" which would be OK. I don't know about their newest production, maybe they use carved wood for their top models now. And their construction is frighteningly similar to Korean mandolins especially the neck joint and shape of body and headstock.
BTW, they have also wider fingerboards than standard.
BTW2, the sunburst F on the photo is not a Furch.

DMC
Sep-23-2004, 7:28am
I'm confused! Are they hand-made or not?

Also what is meant by a 'pressed' top? Does this mean it is not carved by hand but by machine? I'll try them out anyway.

Also, has anyone ever heard of 'Stamford' or 'Stanford' mandolins? I think the name is usually associated with guitars. I was told they are built in the same factory as Furch.

Martin Jonas
Sep-23-2004, 7:43am
I'm from Slovakia not Czech republic, though a couple oh years ago we used to be one state...
Sorry, HoGo, my mistake. #I assumed (wrongly as it turned out) from your readily apparent familiarity with the Czech builders that you were Czech yourself.

Martin

craigtoo
Sep-24-2004, 8:10am
I've played the Stanfords too...They are better fit and finish than the Furch. (remember all this is like 4 data points though...) But also considerably more expensive. The Stanfords I played were in the 1000 dollar range.

I don't think that "pressed" means carved by machine not hand. From what I've heard, it means...little or no carving at all and "formed or pressed" into shape. Then they use thicker braces to maintain that form. Guys...am I right here?

craig

Strado Len
Sep-24-2004, 8:36am
A pressed top is a top that has not been carved, but steamed, and pressed into shape on a form. Pressed tops are a uniform thickness throughout the top.

Alekos
Sep-24-2004, 8:38am
I absolutely agree with HoGo about the instrument quality.

The Standford is only "more conservative" instrument line from Furch, that was predestinated to be exported out of the Czech Republic (mainly in France in late 90's), now they are selled there by Furch too.

Generally Furch mandolins are hand made and belongs to the middle class in the Czech Rep., but I'm afraid they can't be compared to Capek, Janish or Holoubek. Although many professional musicians in the Czech Republic are using them (for example Robert Krestan, who is also quite known in the USA for his colaboration with US musician Charlie McCoy)...

craigtoo
Sep-24-2004, 9:20am
Alekos..

I would agree...those guys you mentioned...Capek, Janish, Holoubek..and I would add Lebeda. Are real pro makers making great instruments.

I don't consider Furch in the same ballpark whatsoever.

What did you mean about the Stanford's being a "more conservative" line from Furch? I think I may have my name brand's mixed up here...

craig

August Watters
Sep-24-2004, 12:02pm
I would agree...those guys you mentioned...Capek, Janish, Holoubek..and I would add Lebeda. #Are real pro makers making great instruments.

I don't consider Furch in the same ballpark whatsoever.

A little background: Furch is a guitar factory, not a small builder. In recent years they have branched into mandolins. A sales rep from Furch I once met while visiting a festival in Kolin told me they take pride that everything is hand-made -- but for sure these are production line instruments, and not comparable to the one-man shops. However I have played a couple of Furch mandolins that were perfectly fine -- respectible carved-top instruments at a low price. Way better than the Pac-Rim F's, and not too much more expensive.

August Watters
http://galleryofstrings.com

Alekos
Sep-24-2004, 12:12pm
Hi Craigtoo, maybe I describe it unclearly, here is the specification - the Stanford brand was founded by Furch guitars in 1997. We can consider it as a brand, although it was rather name for a new series of guitars. This series was designed according to the "old manners", without any new modifications or additions in order to emulate a sound of old Martin style dreadnoughts and jumbos. Then it became very famous in France and Germany (this were first two countries, where the Stanford series were exported); then came UK and the rest of the world. I consider them to be best handmande serial guitars in the Czech Rep. now..