PDA

View Full Version : 8 Days in Haiti

dulcillini
Apr-14-2010, 9:45pm
Just spent 8 days serving in Haiti on mobile medical team. We worked out of a small barn in Peredo, Sud Est, Haiti. It is a rural area on the south side of the country near the Caribbean. Quite an experience. Next time I will take a travel mandolin or travel mountain dulcimer. No music there at all. The people are so nice and appreciative of everything you do for them. They are not looking for hand-out however. They are very proud people--we can learn much from them. Their language, Creole French, is very difficult, kind of like folk French on steroids ! It is very difficult to pick up phrases. Port-au-Prince is a sight I will never forget. So much destruction and suffering and with the rainy season coming, I am worried for them. We need to keep Haiti in our thoughts and prayers. It is a wonderful little country--sure they have problems like we do--but it is a country worth saving. They need our help. There are many organizations helping out with basic needs in the country. Proud to have served and help in some small way. I am sure there are others on this site that have served. Would be interested in hearing your experiences.

Mike Bunting
Apr-14-2010, 9:50pm
Thank you.

Fretbear
Apr-14-2010, 9:53pm
I also appreciate your selfless service.
Haiti is the only country in the history of the world founded by rebelling slaves, and has had more than it's fair share of sorrows.

citycountryguy
Apr-14-2010, 10:04pm
Yes, thanks for going. I've not been to Haiti, but I've done other work like this. If you're like me, you receive as much as you give....