PDA

View Full Version : Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic

NewsFetcher
Apr-14-2010, 4:19pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001209.shtml

Antifogmatic, the new Punch Brothers album produced by Jon Brion and recorded this past winter, will be available June 15 and is available for pre-order.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

coreylindsey
Apr-14-2010, 10:31pm
Just placed my preorder, I can hardly wait.

I had the pleasure of hearing most of the songs on Antifogmatic last weekend when the Punch Brothers visited Hamilton, MT. They are all first class songs as you would expect. I thoroughly enjoyed "Next to the Trash", it is a funny song and Chris Thile has a funny dance to go along with it. And as Noam said about "This is the Song (Good Luck)", on a good night you can here the parenthesis. Well, we heard the parenthesis loud and clear Saturday night.

Eric Hanson
Apr-14-2010, 10:56pm
I too placed my order.
Being one who likes a lot of different styles of music this is one I look forward to. I saw them last Wednesday and was pleasantly pleased with the new music. Not as much "rambling" as on "PUNCH". Easier to follow, but still having the flavor of classical in that it is not as repetitive as some styles of music. Great talent.

Andrew DeMarco
Apr-14-2010, 10:58pm
Put in my pre-order as well. I'm excited to see what drinks they have in their cocktail booklet. I'm not sure why I'm excited for that - if you'd have asked me about it a week ago I'd have laughed - but I'm kind of stoked.

This one should be a good one!

mando.player
Apr-14-2010, 10:59pm
Having had the opportunity to hear the tunes, how would you describe them? More like How to Grow or more like Punch? I've been waiting for this followup for a while. My order is placed and now the wait begins.

coreylindsey
Apr-14-2010, 11:26pm
"Having had the opportunity to hear the tunes, how would you describe them? More like How to Grow or more like Punch? I've been waiting for this followup for a while. My order is placed and now the wait begins."

I would have to say it's more like "How to Grow...", it has upbeat songs and slow songs, you could tell they were having a lot of fun playing the new stuff.

mandopete
Apr-15-2010, 10:01am
I'd be curious to see what the cocktail recipes are.

mandotrout777
Apr-15-2010, 12:07pm
Just placed my preorder, I can hardly wait.

I had the pleasure of hearing most of the songs on Antifogmatic last weekend when the Punch Brothers visited Hamilton, MT. They are all first class songs as you would expect. I thoroughly enjoyed "Next to the Trash", it is a funny song and Chris Thile has a funny dance to go along with it. And as Noam said about "This is the Song (Good Luck)", on a good night you can here the parenthesis. Well, we heard the parenthesis loud and clear Saturday night.

The Punch Brothers were in Hamilton? What? Were they in the Bitterroot for the skwala hatch? How in the *&%$ did I miss that?

Ohhh, I just looked at their tour schedule. They'll be in Helena in August. I'm all over that.

kmiller1610
Apr-16-2010, 2:45am
In one of the newsletters announcing the album (sent by the PBs) the new album is described as lacking a lead. I am assuming this means that everyone sings most of the time or there's no singing. I too have placed my pre-order. Has anyone who has seen the concert material able to comment?

DD2146
Apr-19-2010, 12:11pm
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but you can hear two or 3 tunes off the new album here

http://www.wnrn.org/2010/02/punch-brothers-and-christina-courtin-visit-wnrn/

I gotta say I liked what I heard but then again I'm likely the least savvy critic of music because I generally enjoy lots of music.

SternART
Apr-19-2010, 12:31pm
Just saw them in SF last night........GREAT SHOW!!!

Many tunes off the new CD....Chris sang lead on most, Gabe on a couple & there was more harmony singing than in the past. Tight arrangements........quirky but very cool solos & instrumental interaction. If this show was any indication the new CD should be better than their last recorded efforts, I'm looking forward to hearing it. They are a VERY tight band, but more an ensemble sound than just the Thile show. The older tunes keep getting better every time I hear them............as they grow as a band. Probably not for the fainthearted or BG purist, but I dig the way they are genre bending & pushing the boundaries a bit.

Mike Black
Apr-19-2010, 12:31pm
Why is the link creator not working? :(

buckles
Apr-19-2010, 12:54pm
I saw the SF show too Art. They rocked the joint. As you say, Thile's mandolin was right down in the mix.

DD2146
Apr-19-2010, 2:26pm
BBS and HTML and all that are turned off for these posts so maybe thats why??

Scott Tichenor
Apr-20-2010, 3:57pm
HTML and BB codes are turned off for this section which is for commenting on articles. The comments appear here on the forum and at the end of the news item. Because the news section is not designed to be a forum-ready resource, items like videos and images one might post can wreck the layout and interfere in general with the article. It's best that it be turned off for the integrity of the information and what can possibly be posted with those codes turned on.

Mike Black
Apr-21-2010, 8:36pm
Thanks Scott! :)