PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Neck ReSet on Value

JonZ
Apr-12-2010, 6:05pm
If done as well as possible, what would be the effect on the value of a $2-3K mando?

Mike Bunting
Apr-12-2010, 6:41pm
What's it worth if the neck is so far out of whack that the instrument is not playable?

JonZ
Apr-12-2010, 8:35pm
But still...?

JTMartin
Apr-12-2010, 8:38pm
Good question. Wish folks would give a straight answer.

sgarrity
Apr-12-2010, 8:39pm
Many, many old Martins have had neck resets. It's just the nature of the beast for a guitar. A mandolin though.....they rarely need neck resets but I don't think it would hurt the value much if any at all. But it also depends on who's buying........

chip
Apr-12-2010, 8:43pm
Doesn't affect the price at all. Enhances actually....how's that..

Mike Bunting
Apr-12-2010, 11:32pm
What's it worth if the neck is so far out of whack that the instrument is not playable?
Well, if a neck reset makes it playable, I'd say that the value goes up.

Bill Baldock
Apr-12-2010, 11:56pm
If there is no evidence that the work has been done and the angle is correct, the value is not hurt. If it needs the neck reset or if it's obvious the neck has been reset, the value suffers on collectible instruments. Players grade instruments, not so much unless it's a hack job.

allenhopkins
Apr-13-2010, 12:38am
If done as well as possible, what would be the effect on the value of a $2-3K mando?

I think you'd have to ask, "What $2-3K mando?" If you're talking about a fairly recent non-collectible instrument, which is going to be used by a player, a well-done pro neck reset should enhance the resale value. If you're talking about a vintage mandolin which might be added to a collection, any change from "original condition" could impair collectible value. My Howe-Orme mandolinetto was sold to me as "wall hanger" material because the neck had been pulled so far forward. I had the neck reset and play it now. It's "borderline collectible" because it's a lower-end model and has some missing tailpiece posts and pick wear. On the other hand, it's now a playable instrument, so for my purposes, the value has been significantly increased by the neck reset.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-13-2010, 1:59am
In spite of having to pay to have the job done,i think that it would simply bring the instrument back to it's 'proper' used value - no more than that,unless it's a particularly well preserved & un-played instrument (apart from the neck problem that is).So,to pick up on Allen's point, what make of 'used' Mandolin is it ?,
Ivan

JonZ
Apr-13-2010, 1:04pm
It's and Arrow G--a modern design, custom built. I plan to play it for a long time, but I was just curious.

Big Joe
Apr-13-2010, 1:21pm
An instrument that needs a neck reset will suffer in value if the purchaser realizes it needs one. All too often they have not clue and just think it can be adjusted and that will resolve the issue. Unfortunately, that is not the case. If the neck set is done right, and not all buggered up in the process, the value of the mandolin will not suffer. If it is done poorly or if the neck or neck body joint is all scarred up it can detract from the value. How much? Depends upon how bad the job was.

jim simpson
Apr-14-2010, 10:10am
Joe,
I agree that the quality of the work should ultimately determine any change in value. I have a question that is sort of related. I replaced a neck on a 1920 A mandolin *see thread "another personal restoration challenge". I already had a period Gibson neck that I used for the replacement. How would the value of my project be viewed as the neck has been changed out (not a factory change-out)?
Jim

Big Joe
Apr-14-2010, 12:53pm
A vintage nut would probably decrease the value by about 50% from what it would have been with the original neck if it were in good shape. It is always better to restore what is original, if it can be for value. That being said, a replacement neck is worth more if it works right than the original if it is junk. Every buyer will make a decision as to how bad the value is affected in his/ her own mind. I hope that helps a bit.

Michael Lewis
Apr-15-2010, 2:29am
JonZ, why not contact Paul Lestock? He would know the instrument, the joint, etc. If it were one of mine I would want to see that it was playable.

wsugai
Apr-15-2010, 4:41pm
I guess one way of looking at it is the more you value originality, the worse a neck reset will seem, whereas the more you value playability, the better it will seem. At some point along the continuum, collectability morphs into originality, and things generally go south from there.

JonZ
Apr-15-2010, 8:21pm
Perhaps I should have, however...
--I'm not the original owner.
--The damage was probably due to heat, not workmanship.
--I would have to pay shipping and insurance anyway.
--He probably would rather be working on new instruments.
Still, it wouldn't have hurt to enquire.

JonZ
May-30-2010, 10:38am
I thought I would give an update on this thread, having just got the instrument back. I am amazed at how flawless the repair is. To my untrained eye it looks like new. He fixed a few chips in the back of the neck too.

And, of course, it plays a lot better now.

Hats off to the techs at Buffalo Bros., San Diego, CA.