PDA

View Full Version : 1925 Snake

danb
Apr-11-2010, 5:38am
Here's a 1925 snakehead that's seen a few battles. It's #82390 (http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?3120). There are various bits of black finish wear, and possibly a new thin topcoat buffed over the original lacquer topcoat. This one is a cannon, I think it's ready for its second new set of frets. Clamp style pickguard, back refinished black, and the thick purfling ring you'd see on an A3 or a2z on this one

MANDOLINMYSTER
Apr-11-2010, 6:19am
beautiful carving on that top.so graceful yet pronounced.

OregonMike
Apr-13-2010, 12:05am
She's a pretty one - interesting purfling indeed, more like an A2... is this one bound on the back?

Glassweb
Apr-13-2010, 1:12am
I had one just like it once... I got rid of it cause it played horribly out of tune... frets were not where they shoulda been!

grassrootphilosopher
Apr-13-2010, 3:07am
Looks really cute. Do I see a little bit of top sinkage or is that just reflection?

danb
Apr-13-2010, 4:52am
Looks really cute. Do I see a little bit of top sinkage or is that just reflection?

The top carving is actually a bit unusual on this one- the recurve area is wider than normal, and inside where the kerfing rests the "flat area" is wider than the kerfing. I had another one like this once (73xxx I think) that sounded not so nice, but this one is actually a beast. Reminds me of another Darryl has/had in that same range.

This is also one of those beasts that has had visits from several well-meaning repairmen over the years to improve cosmetics. From 10' away it looks stunning, right next to it there's a lot of touch-up over playing wear. I prefer when that sort of stuff is left intact, mojo increases.

danb
Apr-13-2010, 4:57am
I had one just like it once... I got rid of it cause it played horribly out of tune... frets were not where they shoulda been!

I had an Ajr once with eccentric frets. Frank Ford tells me there have been several through his shop. I've also seen this on an F2 from the Loar range. Bill Halsey spotted some oddness on fret spacing on a Loar picture recently too. I guess they used gang saws to cut the slots (again I'm quoting others rather than expressing my own knowledge), and sometimes they weren't set up right apparently.

Not much that can really be done except a replacement fretboard on those ones!

Philphool
Apr-13-2010, 6:39am
I had an Ajr once with eccentric frets. Frank Ford tells me there have been several through his shop. I've also seen this on an F2 from the Loar range. Bill Halsey spotted some oddness on fret spacing on a Loar picture recently too. I guess they used gang saws to cut the slots (again I'm quoting others rather than expressing my own knowledge), and sometimes they weren't set up right apparently.

Anybody notice Skaggs' F5 pictured in the recent Fretboard Journal? Looks to me like frets 25 & 27 are in the wrong spots. Or is it just my eyes? <I seldom get up to that altitude:)>

JeffD
Apr-13-2010, 9:00am
beautiful

Goodin
Apr-13-2010, 9:45am

I had Mr. Dude replace the fingerboard on my '25 Ajr for this very reason. I had him radius the fingerboard and bridge and use wider frets. It plays and sounds amazing now and the intonation is spot on. I used to have a '25 A-1 with the same problem. This must be a common occurrence.

fatt-dad
Apr-13-2010, 11:24am
I had Dave Cohen make me a compensated nut to address intonation problems on my 1920 A3. Endless source of frustration until Dave addressed the nut!

f-d

Glassweb
Apr-13-2010, 12:03pm
Dan, the snakeheads with "The Gibson" done in stencil rather than inlay are the ones i feel are most suspect to intonation/fret problems. just a bad batch perhaps...

f5loar
Apr-13-2010, 12:54pm
Those were the "low end" begineer models. Prewar Gibsons are known for their "flaws".

danb
Apr-13-2010, 1:25pm
Dan, the snakeheads with "The Gibson" done in stencil rather than inlay are the ones i feel are most suspect to intonation/fret problems. just a bad batch perhaps...

I think it's more prevalent as well as more scattered than that. I'm pretty sure my earlier one 78xxx was back to the factory for some reason, it has a couple other hints in fact.

Bill- I don't suppose you have any images of the gang saw system you described? I wonder if it was always set up, or adapted for batches of dolas, etc etc.

Jim Garber
Apr-13-2010, 3:26pm
I had an 24 F4 with intonation problems. Bob Jones (Dr. Frets - Master Restorer in Brooklyn, NY) showed me how it compared to a correct fretboard and it was quite obvious that the fret slots were cut wrong.

David Newton
Apr-16-2010, 4:42pm
Jim, do you mind elaborating? How far off? 1/32"? or more?