PDA

View Full Version : Calace price list

John Craton
Sep-21-2004, 1:07pm
I have been trying to get some quotes from Calace on some of their current instruments, but they seem reluctant to reply to e-mail. I've written them before in English without a problem, but maybe their translator is on leave. Anyway, does someone out there have a current instrument price list from Calace?

Eugene
Sep-21-2004, 1:08pm
They are really spotty by e-mail. You might want to try FAX. The last price list I have to include instruments is a couple years old.

vkioulaphides
Sep-22-2004, 7:02am
The price-list I have is even older... Yes, as Eugene writes, the Calace shop seems to log on and retrieve e-mails once every three to six MONTHS! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif Fax is better. Now, for the good news: Sending them simple, clear messages in English is perfectly OK; someone on the other end will reply in equally simple, direct terms.

If, in the meanwhile, you want some ballpark idea of the prices, please let me know and I can easily tell you where they stood a while ago. When ordering from Calace, he routinely collects 50% up front and the rest upon completion of the instrument you ordered, right before it is shipped to you.

John Craton
Sep-26-2004, 6:27pm
I finally got a price list from Calace. Not sure whether it would be something I should post to the message board, but if anyone is interested in prices on a particular model, drop me a line. You'll probably get a reply from me sooner than you would from Calace. (I was beginning to think someone in their shop must have heard me play and didn't want to besmirch their good name by selling me a mandolin #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif )

Eugene
Sep-26-2004, 8:34pm
I posted a previous incarnation of their price list here. I can't imagine it would be frowned upon. I have the list for scores (thanks Jim). I certainly would like a more recent list for instruments. If you're uncomfortable posting it, could you e-mail it to me? Will you be ordering soon?

John Craton
Sep-26-2004, 8:50pm
I posted a previous incarnation of their price list here. #I can't imagine it would be frowned upon. #
Well, I guess Calace wouldn't mind. Their complete catalogue is a little long, so I've deleted guitar prices (and their sheet music has been posted elsewhere on the board). Here's what they sent me for their mandolins, mandolas, and mandocellos:

Comm.Prof. RAFFAELE CALACE & Figlio
- di Arena Anna - Liuteria Classica Napoletana #fondata nel 1825
-----------
Via San Domenico Maggiore, 9 - 80134 NAPOLI (Italia) -
Tel. 0039 (0)81 5515983 - fax 0039(0)81 5528906
Internet: www.calace.it #
e-mail: racalace@tin.it # # #

Our terms are the follow: # # # # # # # # # # # #

- #delivery: #within 30/60 days from order Only for CLASSICO #A #60/90 days.

- payment: # 1/2 (half) in advance and 1/2 (half) on delivery note.

- shipment: #by insured air parcel post or by sender, (for few instruments), by air-pakage for more instruments.
# #
- prices: our prices are ex-works prices.
# #
About Calace Music we specify that it is delivered in photocopy #of #old manuscript or of old print. The music is #sent #by bundle postal. Payment at arrival.

# # # # LISTINO PREZZI # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # (Price - List) # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # -------------- # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # ANNO 2004 # # # # # # # # # # # #

---------- MANDOLINS --------- # # # #
type n. 24 # # # #Euro #600,00 # # # #
#" #" #26 # # # # " # #650,00 # # # #
#" #" #13 # # # # " # #940,00 # # # #
#" #" #15 # # # # " #1.000,00 # # # #
#" #" #16 Bis # # " #1.500,00 # # # #
#" #Classico D # #" #1.800,00 # # # #
#" #Classico C # #" #1.400,00 # # # #
#" #Classico B # #" #1.000,00 # # # #
#" #Classico A # #" #2.350,00 # # # #
Hard-case x mandolin # # 65,00 # # # #

the following models are missing in the illustrated catalogue:

- type Classico D has the some channelled round bottom of Classico A; head without engraved head. #Ebony concert fingerboard with 29 freets under E.
- type Classico C has round bottom with 31 palisander channelled ribs; concert ebony fingerboard with 29 frets under E.
- type Classico B has round bottom with 31 white maple not channelled; concert ebony fingerboard with 29 frets under E. # # # # # # # # # # # # #
- type Classico A has an engraved neck with: a) inside machine-head; b) optional laterar side machine head;
- only on type Classico A, with extra price of Euro 300,00 is possible to #insert special inox 18/8 stell frets, #more unconfortable, but with a very long duration; only for concertist.
- only on type classico A, with extra price of Euro 300,00 is possible to #have #a pearl decorated shield and ebony and pearl fingerboard.

----------- MANDOLAS ---------
type n. 24 # # # #Euro #850,00
#" #" #26 # # # # " # #900,00
#" #" #13 # # # # " #1.300,00
#" #" #15 # # # # " #1.400,00
#" #" #16 Bis # # " #2.000,00
#" #Classico D # #" #2.300,00
#" #Classico C # #" #1.800,00
#" #Classico B # #" #1.400,00
#" #Classico A # #" #3.200,00
Hard-case x mandola # # #85,00

MANDOLONCELLOS(4 double strings) e #LIUTI CANTABILI (5 double strings)
-----------------------------------------------------------
type Classico A # Euro 4.800,00: big round bottom with 41 channelled ribs; head as mandolin Classico A. # # #
tipo Classico B # Euro 2.800,00 : with 25 ribs round bottom.

Instrument's description:
(photos are awaiable on web-page www.calace.it)

Mandolins: (vibrant string cm.33,5 tuning E, A, D, G)
---------
type 24 : palisander round bottom 25 ribs, fine fir armonic flat, palisander fingerboard with 24 frets under E, covered machinehead, tortoise pick-plate, tortoise arm-guide. #

type 26 : the some of n. 24 but with pearl decorated pick-plate with floral motif.

type 13 : extra palisander round bottom with 25 ribs, very fine fir armonic flat, ebony fingerboard with 24 freets under E, fingerboard with mother of pearl at frets 3,5,7,10,12 e 15, covered machine-heads, pearl decorated pick-plate and head with fine floral motif - tortoise arm-guide.

type 15 : the some of n. 13 but with different decorated head and pick-plate.

type 16 bis: cuirasse from palisander channelled round bottom 33 ribs - ebony and pearl fingerboard (as. n. 13) with 24 frets - covered machine-head - iris and carnation decorated pick-plate and head.

type Classico D - White maple channelled round bottom 33 ribs - oval soundinghole - open head with lateral machine-head - extra fir armonic flat - concert fingerboard with 29 frets under E - tortoise pick-plate and arm-guide #
type Classico C - cuirasse from palisander channelled round bottom 33 ribs - oval soundinghole - covered machine head - extra fir armonic flat - concert fingerboard with 29 frets under E - tortoise pick-plate and arm-guide #

type Classico B - White maple round bottom 31 ribs - oval soundinghole - covered machine head - extra fir armonic flat - concert fingerboard with 29 frets under E - tortoise pick-plate and arm-guide #

type Classico A - White maple channelled round bottom 33 ribs - oval soundinghole - engraved neck with inside machine-head - extra fir armonic flat - concert fingerboard with 29 frets under E - tortoise pick-plate and arm-guide

Mandolas: (vibrant strings cm.43,5 - tuning in G or in C )
--------

the types are the some of the mandolins one - On demand it is possible to have long vibrant strings cm.46 - The model Classico C, B and A have fingerboard with 24 frets.

Mandoloncellos: (vibrant strings cm.61 - tuning A, D, G, C.)
--------------

type Classico B: White maple or palisander round bottom 25 ribs - medium size, very confortable to play - oval soundinghole - open head with lateral machine-head - extra fir armonic flat - concert fingerboard with 27 frets under A #- tortoise pick-plate and arm-guide

type Classico A: White maple channelled round bottom 36 ribs - big size, high level sound - oval soundinghole - engraved neck with inside machine-head - extra fir armonic flat - concert fingerboard with 27 frets under A #- tortoise pick-plate and arm-guide

Liuti cantabili:
----------------
the type are the some of mandoloncello's one, but with 10
strings tuned E,A,D,G,C. - Only the type Classico A have a different design of the body to have 15 frets out of body.

Martin Jonas
Sep-27-2004, 5:41am
Those prices are actually cheaper than I expected. 600 Euros for a new Calace entry level (No. 24) isn't bad at all, especially considering the good things that Victor has to say about his (which I think is a No. 24). A music shop in Germany tried to sell my mother a 5-year old Korean-made bowlback for 450 Euros, which puts it into perspective.

Martin

vkioulaphides
Sep-27-2004, 6:42am
Mine is a model 26, the second-from-the-bottom; when I ordered it last year, the price stood at 600 euro (by now it has gone up to 650). The only substantive difference between mine and model 24 is the lovely, floral design on the pickguard that mine has, as opposed to the blank, unadorned pickguard of model 24. I do like ornamentation— in small doses. THAT Puritan I am not! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Yes, as Martin writes, the prices are not bad. My Puritan bias does make me wonder whether you get, say, 500 euro worth of sounding quality, as you move up to the "fancier" models. Hence my choice.

I am indeed very happy with my baby Calace, which has become my everyday mandolin. I particularly love the even, warm, velvety intonation of the instrument, all the way up to the double-octave E (at the tip of the extended fingerboard, two octaves above the open string). The "feel" of the instrument is also wonderful. The sound of the baby Calace, of course, is still "young" but pleasant and free-ringing with its chime-like Lenzners on.

The only thing that I will be changing in the near future is the slanting of the bridge, which —to my taste, at least—#is excessive. It is not that I am having difficulty pressing down the G's. Heck, I'm a BASS-player! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif But that excessive angling, with all its Pythagorean repercussions, does cause the G-course to go sharp as one moves up the neck. And I do like to play all the way up the neck, even on the G-course...

One respectful correction to Sr. Calace's claim that instruments are usually delivered within 30-60 days. Mi scusi, Raffaele... Think three to six MONTHS.

Martin is also right on comparative pricing: A lot of junk out there, offered for the same —or more!— money than a nice, low-end Calace would cost you, straight from the source. By way of a postscriptum, my only gripe is the hack-job of the hard case that came with the instrument: Why not do a better job with the fittings, the hardware, the vinyl coat? How much would it have cost them to be a bit neater? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Jim Garber
Sep-27-2004, 6:52am
By way of a postscriptum, my only gripe is the hack-job of the hard case that came with the instrument: Why not do a better job with the fittings, the hardware, the vinyl coat? How much would it have cost them to be a bit neater? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
Too bad... that is what caught my eye on the price list was the hard cases for 65 euros. I wonder who make them and so poorly.

I was going to order from Sr. Pandini a hard case for my instrument which seems to be of good quality. He charges (at last email) about 150 euros which with shipping makes it about $235 or so.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Sep-27-2004, 7:23am
Weeeeeeeeeeel, Jim... I HAD, in fact, once asked Raffaele whether he would sell me a couple of cases, senza mandolini. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif He played dead; I assume he was not interested.

The case, ehm.. works. And the price is OK, too. I am just annoyed that someone, ANYone, would be so sloppy: The vinyl coating is too short here, too long there (and consequently leaving spots uncovered or sagging); the fittings are ill-fit; the whole thing weighs a TON.

That's why I am hoping for better news from EastmanGordon.

Eugene
Sep-27-2004, 8:59am
Thanks, John.

John Craton
Sep-27-2004, 9:44pm
I forgot to mention, I also have current price lists from Knorr and for the Seiffert mandolins if anyone is interested. Delivery time on those are running 1-2 years, however.

Eric F.
Sep-27-2004, 10:00pm
OK, so I drop in on the classical discussion once in a while when I need a break from the Gibson wars and want to read some interesting posts by interesting people. It's nice to see you guys boldly venturing out into the general discussion. So, could someone please tell me what Victor means by "with its chime-like Lenzners on"? And can you play it with them off, as well? Grazie.

Bob A
Sep-27-2004, 10:13pm
I don't think Victor will mind if I pass on that Lenzners are strings made by an obscure German company that have found favor with some of the bowlback crowd. In fact, there's a special set, with a wound A string, that was made for Alex Timmerman's orchestra, Het Consort. Lenzner calls them the Consort set, for reasons that elude me.

How cool is it, to have strings made special for your band?

Of course you can play with them off, so long as it's not mandolin that you're playing.

Nice to find myself out here with you Gibson veterans. Youse are looking a little shell-shocked these days, however.

Eugene
Sep-28-2004, 5:18am
Who is carrying on with Seiffert's production? He died recently. I know A&M (http://www.albert-mueller.de/)'s top-of-the-line mandolin is called their Seiffert model and is based upon Uli's apprenticeship in the Seiffert shop. I assume you are referring to something different? Norman Levine used to be the US agent for Seiffert mandolins. Is this still the case?

vkioulaphides
Sep-28-2004, 6:21am
Yes, Eric F., it is as Bob A writes: Lenzner Consort strings, bronze-wound G's and D's, wound A's, and solid steel E's are, as I wrote "chime-like" in tone.

We have had lengthy discussions about this in the Classical section. To put it in a nutshell for you: The aesthetic argument was between the bronze-wound strings that —in the view of some— exemplify the sound of the traditional, Neapolitan mandolin, and the more modern, carbonsteel-wound Dogals, which many (present-day Italian virtuosos included) prefer.

What I was alluding to is that I have gravitated (back) to bronze-wound strings, precisely because of their chime-like, crystalline tone. I am sorry if I was not clear.

This effect, of course, is even more pronounced on an essentially brand-new instrument, which sounds rather bright by itself. In fact, I may be switching to bronze-wound strings on some of my other, vintage instruments.

Jim Garber
Sep-28-2004, 7:09am
So, could someone please tell me what Victor means by "with its chime-like Lenzners on"? And can you play it with them off, as well? Grazie.
Just to keep the momentum going... and to remind those of the US source.

These Lenzner strings are difficult to come by esp in the US. Steve Miklas of Acoustic Music Works (http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/) in Pitssburgh ordered a batch of them for us as a group. So, if anyone is interested in trying some or replenishing the supply, feel free to contact Steve at steve@acousticmusicworks.com

Jim

Martin Jonas
Sep-28-2004, 7:56am
For those in Europe, I have finally been able to find a good and cheap source for Lenzner "Bronce" strings (not the Consort set, but the one with unwound a string) here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22526&item=3749842178). This seller seems to have a regular supply (I have bought on a previous "buy it now" a few weeks ago) at the very cheap price of 24 Euro for two sets, good communications and is happy to send to the UK. Only problem is that he only accepts direct bank transfer to a German account. That isn't a problem for me, as my mother has a German bank account, but may be difficult for others. Maybe he'll take cash in an envelope instead.

Martin

John Craton
Sep-28-2004, 8:30am
Who is carrying on with Seiffert's production? #He died recently. #I know A&M (http://www.albert-mueller.de/)'s top-of-the-line mandolin is called their Seiffert model and is based upon Uli's apprenticeship in the Seiffert shop. #I assume you are referring to something different? #Norman Levine used to be the US agent for Seiffert mandolins. #Is this still the case?
Sorry I wasn't clear on the "Seiffert" mandos. The price list I have is for the Seiffert model from Albert & Müller. Not sure who the agent is in the US.

Eugene
Sep-28-2004, 9:07am
The price list I have is for the Seiffert model from Albert & Müller. Not sure who the agent is in the US.
Ah. I don't think A&M have an agent in the US. I think they simply sell their work directly.

Eugene
Sep-28-2004, 9:11am
Only problem is that he only accepts direct bank transfer to a German account. #That isn't a problem for me, as my mother has a German bank account, but may be difficult for others. #Maybe he'll take cash in an envelope instead.
Unfortunately, my bank charges ca. US$20 for a direct transfer. Hardly seems worth it for a €12 pack of strings...or three. (Thanks for the secret symbol, Jim.)

Eric F.
Sep-28-2004, 4:15pm
Thanks for the information. I had this odd image of some after-market part being attached, though I assumed it was something like strings.

lm5656
Jun-21-2019, 11:02am
Since google links to this forum entry when looking for Calace mandolins price, here is the updated version:

---------- MANDOLINS ---------
type n. 22 Euro 730,00
" " 24 Euro 780,00
" " 26 " 830,00
" " 13 " 1.180,00
" " 15 " 1.250,00
" " 16 Bis " 1.850,00
" " Ripa " 2.100,00
" Classico D " 2.100,00
" Classico C " 1.750,00
" Classico B " 1.250,00
" Classico A " 2.800,00
" Annamaria " 2.950,00
Hard-case x mandolin 140,00
Semi-hard case x m. 60,00
the following models are missing in the illustrated catalogue:

- type Classico D has the some channelled round bottom of Classico A;
head without engraved head. Ebony concert fingerboard with 29
freets under E.
- type Classico C has round bottom with 31 palisander channelled
ribs; concert ebony fingerboard with 29 frets under E.
- type Classico B has round bottom with 31 white maple not channelled;
concert ebony fingerboard with 29 frets under E.
- type Classico A has an engraved neck with: a) inside machine-head;
b) optional laterar side machine head;
- only on type Classico A, with extra price of Euro 300,00 is possible
to insert special inox 18/8 stell frets, more unconfortable,
but with a very long duration; only for concertist.
- only on type classico A, with extra price of Euro 300,00 is possible
to have a pearl decorated shield and ebony and pearl finger
board.

----------- MANDOLAS ---------
type n. 22 Euro 950,00
" " 24 " 1.050.00
" " 26 " 1.100.00
" " 13 " 1.570,00
" " 15 " 1.680,00
" " 16 Bis " 2.400,00
" " Ripa " 2.700,00
" Classico D " 2.700,00
" Classico C " 2.150,00
" Classico B " 1.650,00
" Classico A " 3.800,00
" Annamaria " 3.950,00
Hard-case x mandola 200,00
Semi-hard case 75,00

MANDOLONCELLOS (4 double strings: A,D,G,C)
e LIUTI CANTABILI (5 double strings: E,A,D,G,C)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
type Classico A Euro 5.400,00: big round bottom with 41 channelled
ribs; head as mandolin Classico A.
Are awaible also with circular round big bottom so that the neck is
at 15th frets (instead of 12th)
type Classico B Euro 4.300,00 ; big round bottom with 41 ribs;
Are awaible also with circular round big bottom so that the neck is
at 15th frets (instead of 12th)
tipo 26 Euro 3.000,00 : with 25 ribs round bottom, more little.
tipo 22 Euro 2.850,00 : as type 26, wood pick-guard and external machine-heads