PDA

View Full Version : Solution to Problem

PCypert
Feb-12-2004, 12:37pm
Hey all,
I started playing mandolin on a Mid Mo M0. At the time I had a terrible alvarez laminate guitar. I got married in June and my wife chose to get me a Larrivee instead of a new mandolin (gotta get points for the Larrivee even if it's not a mandolin). So when I had to make the choice on which instrument to pick up the Larrivee was getting the nod everytime.

It looks like I'm now getting a rigel. Nothing too fancy, but I think it matches the Larrivee as far as no frills and solid playing, tone. I think it'll be the perfect balance. Hope I'm not fooling myself. Here's hoping. Can't wait to get my hands on the new mando. Thanks for listening.
Paul

Michael H Geimer
Feb-12-2004, 12:47pm
LOL! I've been having the same problem recently. I had a fit of GAS last month and ended up two Larrivees - a D-03, and a Parlour. I sure love 'em both, and am only just now getting back to where the mandolin is my consistent '1st. choice' again.

Tough decisions, eh?

BTW: The Rigel I played truly was 'all that'. Enjoy it.

John Flynn
Feb-12-2004, 12:56pm
I can relate. I had a Yamaha laminate guitar for 20 years. Then I started playing mando on a Lotus "Plywood Special." I kept it for a year and went to an Alvarez A800, which was handmade, all solid wood and one of the better imports, IMHO. After 30 years with the Yamaha and 10 with the Alvarez, I traded up to a Martin 000-15S guitar and a Rigel A+ Deluxe mando. I like them both a lot. I think if you have really put the playing time in on an instrument, an upgrade can really re-engergize your playing. It sure has for me.