PDA

View Full Version : Antique ASCII Art Mandolin Poetry...

grandmainger
Sep-21-2004, 9:37am
Right, you'll have to bear with me while I take you through it.
The image below is a copy of a piece of poetry written by a French poet called Guillaume Apollinaire (1880-1918). Apollinaire is regarded as one of the founding fathers of surrealism in art.
Some of his most famous work is a set of poems written in Calligrammes, which are a way to draw a shape with the words of a sentence. The image below is a poem called "La mandoline, l'oeillet et le bambou", whic translates as "The Mandolin, The Carnation and the Bamboo".

The mando is on the left, the flower on the right, and the bamboo is lying sideways at the bottom of the picture...

Enjoy!

grandmainger
Sep-21-2004, 9:39am
I await the usual comments on the scroll binding http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jim Garber
Sep-21-2004, 10:15am
Well... it is not a mandolin... but close...

Jim

Martin Jonas
Sep-21-2004, 10:59am
It's rather to big to be posted (and I can't fidn a reference on the web anyway), but there is a fairly impressive piece of sheet music in poster format (about 2 by 1 metres) where the notes, as typeset, form a very detailed picture of Cologne Cathedral. I am assured that it's actually playable and reasonably musical, although clearly the composer's main aim in the composition must have been the graphical layout, not the tune.

Martin

keithd
Sep-21-2004, 11:30am
Thanks for sharing this!
Any chance of a translation of the Apollinaire poem?

Keith

grandmainger
Sep-21-2004, 12:12pm
Any chance of a translation of the Apollinaire poem?

Ahem. The original text (the mandolin part) is:
"O batailles la terre tremble comme une âme déliée
LE SON TRAVERSE la vérité
Car la RAISON c'est ton Art Poème
COMME LA BALLE A TRAVERS LE CORPS"

Roughly translated:
O battles, the earth shakes like an an unwound soul
The sound crosses/transperces the truth
Because reason is your art, Poem
Just like the bullet pierces/transperces the body

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

krishna
Sep-23-2004, 12:37am
Grandmanger,Thanks for posting this. I like your style and am very glad that you post as much as you do. It's allways interesting with you....Kerry