PDA

View Full Version : Gauge of Stock Strings on Kentucky KM-172?

Ed Goist
Apr-07-2010, 12:38pm
I've had my KM-172 for a little less than a month (and just LOVE IT).

I'll be looking to change-out the strings soon, and was wondering if anyone knows what gauge the stock strings are on this mandolin? (BTW, I have found this to be incredibly difficult information to obtain!)

I really like the feel and sound of the current strings (I was surprised by this), and I'd like to use replacement strings with the same (or a very similar) gauge.

Also, I've always been taught (as it applies to my guitars) that after a good set-up, it is absolutely essential to use the same gauge strings for subsequent replacements. (I would think this is even more important with a mandolin).

Is this, indeed, a good rule of thumb? Or is string gauge not the big deal I have been told? As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-Ed

JEStanek
Apr-07-2010, 12:44pm
It might depend on where you got it. If it came drop shipped from a wharehouse they'll be what was on it from the factory. If you bought from a dealer that does a set up it might likely have D'Addario J74s on it, which is a good place to start. I don't know the answer but would likely switch to them as a fresh place to start and then play around with some other medium guages. I have switched a couple of mandolins set up for J74s to a lighter JM11 (http://jazzmando.com/jazzmando_jm11_flatwound_strings.shtml)set of flatwounds with no ill effects. From 11, 15, 26, 40 to 11, 15, 24, 33.

Jamie

mandroid
Apr-07-2010, 5:06pm
If the shop you buy strings from has a Micrometer [they should] , bring the mandolin with you and measure ..

or as Jamie suggests 11 - 40 is a common choice .
Gibson sets are that , Bill, bronze .. Sam .. monel . similar gage,
winding metal choice is the difference..

Ed Goist
Apr-07-2010, 9:10pm
Jamie, Mandroid and all:
A few more pieces of info:
* I purchased the KM-172 from The Mandolin Hut specifically because of their posted set-up procedure.
* Intonation, action and playability are excellent.
* The winds on all of the current strings have a decided factory look to them (four perfectly layered loops around each peg).
* The third strings are wound.

Also, Jamie, it's interesting that you mention JM11 strings. I have had several folks recommend these strings as the optimum replacements for the KM-172.

Mandroid, the micrometer suggestion is a good one. Thanks!

-Ed

Ed Goist
Apr-16-2010, 2:48pm
Hi All:

Response from Saga Instruments via their Facebook page:

Hi Ed,

"We equip name brand strings for all of our instruments. For the KM-172 Kentucky Mandolin we set them up with GHS light gauge steel mandolin strings. We found we get a nice clarity in the sound that makes the mandolin chime perfectly. Strings can be a preference issue, some people like the bronze over steel, or extra light over medium."

I'm impressed that they responded to my FB wall post. Also, I am surprised that the stock strings on my KM-172 are light gauge, I would have guessed medium...I'm glad I asked, I think I'll stick with lights.

Finally, I'd have to say that these strings have been pretty decent.

-Ed

mandroid
Apr-16-2010, 3:04pm
'light' would suggest a 10-36 or 38. GHS A250; or J73 in D'Add ..