PDA

View Full Version : David Grisman's Acoustic Oasis Web Site Launches

NewsFetcher
Apr-02-2010, 8:21am
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
David Grisman's Acoustic Oasis Web Site Launches
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001207.shtml

David Grisman has announced the launch of his Acoustic Oasis, a web site featuring new and previously unreleased exclusive projects that are now available as high-quality digital downloads.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. NOTE: the addition of images, videos, links and other coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

Backlineman
Apr-04-2010, 4:23pm
I tried to download a "cd" or collection of songs from this new site, paying with Paypal, and the download was unsuccessful. Tried the download three times. Never worked. My emails to the "Contact us" email all bounced back, undeliverable. I guess I'll dispute the Paypal charge. Has anyone successfully purchased any muscic from this site?

Rob Fowler
Apr-04-2010, 4:49pm
I also had that problem with the "contact us" email.

Backlineman
Apr-04-2010, 5:04pm
Thanks.... I wasn't sure if it was my email or there's. I guess I'll go directly to PayPal for the refund.

JFDilmando
Apr-04-2010, 5:20pm
don't you just HATE it when people get things up on the internet and don't assure that it all works.... especially for a commercial site....
Really poor biz practice.

Sheryl McDonald
Apr-04-2010, 5:49pm
The site advertises lots of free downloads, but I never could find one, even when I found the CD it was coming from. I guess just another "bug" in the system.

cmmang
Apr-04-2010, 6:52pm
Sorry you were having a problem. The contact e-mail is now working...Feel free to contact us as we have had many download purchases without any problems.

cmmang
Apr-04-2010, 6:53pm
When you view the site, you will need to go into the different rooms and look at the bottom of each page to find the free mp3 "Bone".

Glassweb
Apr-04-2010, 11:47pm
Craig and David... so far I've downloaded the Complete Pizza Tapes and Giovanni Gioviale with no problems whatsoever. My god, what amazing stuff! Can't thank you enough for putting such wonderful, evocative music into the ears and hearts of those who appreciate genuine, timeless and soulful music. Keep 'em comin' boys...

Jim Murton
Apr-05-2010, 5:34pm
I purchased the complete pizza tapes using pay pal with no problems.hopefully things will work out for you.
BTW the pizza tapes are great.I have the original version and its nice to hear all the extra songs/banter.it even sounds better than the original.

Rob Fowler
Apr-05-2010, 6:22pm
Re: free downloads on the site. The first day it was up I couldn't find the free download in any of the rooms of the DAWG house(?). The second day I looked I was able to find it so it should be findable.

This site really is amazing for the amount of previously unreleased material! Amazing....can't wait to start making money again so I can purchase some of it!

doc holiday
Apr-06-2010, 9:25am
I'm looking forward to some great music from this site. I accept that there is a long and complicated chain from David Grisman's website to my livingroom, and as has been pointed out to me by IS guys more than a few times.....complications and errors can happen anywhere in between. Thanks for preserving a lot of incredible music over the years! :)

nobullmando74
Apr-06-2010, 11:20am
I'm not sure if it's the site or what, but when I went to it. It took a really, really , long time to load the pages. Anyone else have this problem?

Rob Fowler
Apr-06-2010, 1:53pm
The first day the site was up and I looked at it it took a LOOOONG time to load each page. Since then I haven't had a problem, though.

I'm not really getting the "free download" thing though. I don't see a way to actually download the freebie to something like my itunes music collection but can only play it in a quicktime window. Anybody else have that issue or is that actually what the free download is: your only able to listen to it?

Mandomax
Apr-06-2010, 2:29pm
What is the name of the song that plays on the intro page? I dig it the most!

G'DAE
Apr-07-2010, 7:56pm
Rob: right click and save target as

Rob Fowler
Apr-07-2010, 8:17pm
Thanks, G'DAE! Will do.....

swampstomper
Apr-08-2010, 5:58am
What is the name of the song that plays on the intro page? I dig it the most!

It drives me crazy when a site plays music as soon as one navigates to it... very embarassing if one is ... hmm.. "researching" the web while at work. DG is not the only one that does this, I really hate it. I know I can turn off sound but of course there are other times I want it (the Tube etc.) and I often forget.

Backlineman
Apr-08-2010, 2:14pm
Buyer Beware:

I'm really struggling with getting a refund for some songs I paid for but couldn't download from this new site. After many download attempts, and after several emails bounced back undeliverable to the "contact us" email on the the site, I'm, now being told by the "Help desk" for Livedownloads.com (site operator for nugs.net Enterprises?) that: "Refunds are complicated because the artist has already received the payment." All of this through the PayPal "resolution center." I guess I'll just have to dispute the credit card charge to PayPal. Kinda burnt out on the whole thing. Seems like a lot of time and effort to go through to recoup a measly $6.95, I spent on nothing.

Backlineman
Apr-12-2010, 4:30pm
To be fair and complete, I did get finally a refund of $6.95 to my PayPal account for the downloads that didn't work. So at least the customer service wheels do turn, if not slowly.

Darren Bailey
Apr-13-2010, 1:24am
I bought a download and had no problems. I downloaded each track individually rather than the album as a sinlge item.

grassrootphilosopher
Apr-13-2010, 3:02am
I really dig the living room tv. Is there a way to fast forward the clips, or do you have to watch through them?

I feel ambiguous towards the music that starts "unwanted" when the page loads. I certainly do see swampstomper´s point. Maybe there´s a way of choosing to enter a site with and without music - or programming the site that way?

While I have not downloaded anything online yet (and simply hate PayPal), how´s the sound quality? I figure the downloads are mp3. What´s their sample rate?

As an "appendix": Albums like the Japan tour with Tony Rice and Bill Keith are just incredibly wonderful as suchlike albums have wonderful "traditional" music with an interesting twist. You have to love it.

billkilpatrick
Apr-13-2010, 3:17am
just checked out the site - wonderful ... i think colonel mustard did it with the wrench.

Philippe Bony
Apr-13-2010, 3:53am
I really dig the living room tv. Is there a way to fast forward the clips, or do you have to watch through them?

I feel ambiguous towards the music that starts "unwanted" when the page loads. I certainly do see swampstomper´s point. Maybe there´s a way of choosing to enter a site with and without music - or programming the site that way?

While I have not downloaded anything online yet (and simply hate PayPal), how´s the sound quality? I figure the downloads are mp3. What´s their sample rate?

As an "appendix": Albums like the Japan tour with Tony Rice and Bill Keith are just incredibly wonderful as suchlike albums have wonderful "traditional" music with an interesting twist. You have to love it.

Hello Olaf!
Just hit "Enter" and the music stops...
(and nobody complained about Acoustic Disc website?)
You can purchase mp3 (cheaper) or Flac files to download.

swampstomper
Apr-13-2010, 8:15am
Hello Olaf!
Just hit "Enter" and the music stops...
(and nobody complained about Acoustic Disc website?)
You can purchase mp3 (cheaper) or Flac files to download.

I also complained about that! And innumerable band web sites where the music starts automatically. I think the default should be no immediate music -- and a big button that says "click to hear a sound sample" or "click to hear our great band's latest gig!"

Realize how embarrassing this is when music suddenly starts playing when one is at ... ummm... "work"....

AMandolin
Dec-19-2020, 8:54am
I’ve purchased twice from Acoustic disk/Grisman . I’ve had issues both times. The most recent time they use nugs.net, the worst experience I’ve ever had. A warning came up that the site is not safe. I contacted them, they said “oh, ignore that, it’s safe” I tried to download again, same thing, my computer blocked the site and then a time out issue, after a day of problems, I requested a refund. “We do not refund purchases” I said your site is not working properly and it’s not worth the frustration, I can’t download from the site. “Sorry you’re having problems, we do not refund” again was the reply. Three days into this the solution was override the computer and to download every one of the 52 songs one-by-one and label them myself and then load them into the music app. I will never deal with nugs.net/acoustic disc they have the worst customer service I’ve every delt with in the music download world.

Dawg
Dec-19-2020, 5:15pm
I'm sorry you were having problems with Nugs. It took us three years to build Acoustic Oasis on their platform and it was the only game in town for us 10 years ago, when this thread began. Now we're proud to announce that Acoustic Disc is launching a completely new website on New Years Eve. All of our releases (and many other items and features) will be available digitally and the remainder of our dwindling CD inventory directly from the new site. To my knowledge the old (current) site is operating without problems. If you do have a problem please contact Webmaster@acousticdisc.com. Thanks for all your continued support through the decades and have a safe and healthy holiday season.

Gop
Jan-04-2021, 9:06am
I just ordered and downloaded five items through the new Acoustic Disc website. Two were HiDef FLAC albums. All worked like a charm with no hiccups, even with my antiquated computer and slow internet speed here in Australia. The site is cool to look at, and easy to use (modifying my orders was simple). Thanks Dawg, great music and a great start to 2021!!! Take care all.