PDA

View Full Version : Chord help

nickster60
Mar-30-2010, 8:56pm
I am kind of new to some of these chords or at least how they are written.

I am working on a version of Its only a paper moon

What is a C#07 or a F#07

Thanks
Nick

Galileo
Mar-30-2010, 9:08pm
I am kind of new to some of these chords or at least how they are written.

I am working on a version of Its only a paper moon

What is a C#07 or a F#07

Thanks
Nick

That would be read as a C sharp diminished 7th or a F sharp diminished 7th. Fully diminished are built by "stacking" minor thirds atop each other (i.e. C#07 is comprised of C#,E,G, and Bb).

Galileo
Mar-30-2010, 9:16pm
That would be read as a C sharp diminished 7th or a F sharp diminished 7th. Fully diminished are built by "stacking" minor thirds atop each other (i.e. C#07 is comprised of C#,E,G, and Bb).

Incidentally, since the tones are symmetrical (i.e. all chord tones are a minor third from each other) C#07=E07=G07=Bb07. I more used to seeing them expressed as C#dim7 or the degrees symbol used instead of the "0". The keyboard isn't very conducive to allowing that.

RE

swampstomper
Mar-30-2010, 11:28pm
This chord is often written just as C#º (with the degree sign), and the half-diminished chord as C#ø (with a slashed 'o'), that's the notation used by Mark Levine in the Jazz Theory book. The full-diminished with º mean root-b3-b5-bb7 (=6th) which if you spell them out indeed is minor 3rds stacked on each other: 4 x 3 semitones = 12 semitones = 1 octave, and because of that it's symmetric. These are often used as passing chords in Texas fiddle backup as well as jazz/swing/django. There is a lot of tension there -- listen to Air Mail Special (aka Good Enough to Keep) with 5 bars of Cº!

BTW the half-diminshed C#ø does not double-flat the 7th, so it is R-b3-b5-b7, often written C#min7b5. The 'min' gets you the 3b, the 7 is the b7 (but not the bb7! which is further "diminished") and you see the b5 explicitly. This chord fits over the 7th mode of the major scale.

AlanN
Mar-31-2010, 6:48am
Love that dim.

In the bg realm, Grisman and co. made good use of it in the tune Blue Mule from Muleskinner. "She's come and gone again" has Dawg going up 3 frets at a time with the same shape to get the inversions. Very cool sound, indeed.

Pete Martin
Mar-31-2010, 1:11pm
A good voicing for the C#dim chord is

GDAE

Move this up 3 frets at a time for the sound Alan just described.

For the F#dim move down one fret or up two frets.

nickster60
Mar-31-2010, 7:39pm
Thanks guys I am just getting my feet wet with these jazz chords. Are there any good charts for movable chord forms

chasgrav
Apr-05-2010, 10:01am
See Pete's material, at www.petimarpress.com

His 'Jazz Chording on Mandolin' is an excellent primer.

alanh
Apr-05-2010, 11:45pm
There are two good sources here on mandolincafe. Click on Mandolin Lessons, then

(1) Click on Jazz Chords. That's a collection of 12 essential chords, all movable. I think they were posted by Scott Tichenor, but I'm not sure.

(2) There are a two or three very good lessons from Seth Rosen on swing playing.

By the way, if you ever get a chance to sit on any of Seth's classes (maybe at Augusta Heritage swing week) you will find he is an exceptionally good teacher.