PDA

View Full Version : Punch Brothers at Merrill Auditorium, Portland Maine March 26

David Engdahl
Mar-29-2010, 3:18pm
Saw the Punch Brothers perform recently. Chris Thile's playing was top notch as usual. I was impressed by the rest of the band-wicked tight. Very talented group of young musicians with a somewhat eclectic style. I'm not sure if they are staying together, but if you get the chance to see them-dont miss

adgefan
Mar-30-2010, 4:38am
I'm not sure if they are staying together

What have you heard that would suggest this?

I'm waiting for them to come back to the UK. Might have to fly over to the States just to see them if they don't hurry up ;)

Rob Gerety
Mar-30-2010, 7:20am
My sense is that CT is pretty much a one man band in the sense that he is not at a point that he needs or wants a commitment to any particular gig.

jefflester
Mar-30-2010, 12:41pm
He's had this band for 3.5 years with only a bass player switch. I think it's a pretty committed band.

David Engdahl
Mar-30-2010, 2:43pm
I only suggested that because Nickel Creek is getting back together at some point. Punch Brothers has a new album coming out- so I imagine they will be touring for the next year anyway.

jefflester
Mar-30-2010, 4:32pm
Nickel Creek is not getting back together.

adgefan
Mar-31-2010, 5:38am
I find this thread confusing :confused: :)

But then any mention of the Punch Brothers is fine by me. Can't wait for Antifogmatic.

Rob Gerety
Mar-31-2010, 1:34pm
3.5 years is like a blink of an eye.

SternART
Apr-02-2010, 10:45am
Hey if big name rock bands can get back together for a reunion gig, or CD, or tour.......I wouldn't be surprised to see Nickel Creek someday do the same.......but it could be awhile, so don't hold your breath.

CT is going forward! So many ideas, so much music, in so many genres, with so many other great players.......why go back for a review at this point in his career? Been there.....done that.

ISU Trout Bum
Apr-03-2010, 12:20am
Whether or not Nickel Creek gets back together (which doesn't seem like it is going to happen in the pre-apocalyptic future), it doesn't detract from the fact that the Punch Bro's (no matter how long they last . . . ) are about as close to instrumentally perfect as a group could hope to be. Emphatically, not to detract from the other great musicians writing and recording at present, but 'Punch' is one of the 'tightest' (to paraphrase David's quote) recordings in the genre out there right now. Absolutely amazing stuff. Each and every time I listen to it I hear something new, and am blown away by how easy those guys make it seem. Ditto SternART! I personally hope the Bro's are together for a few more albums, but if not, then 'carpe diem'! :) Glad you got to see 'em David! I'm green . . . ;)

tmacmillan
Apr-08-2010, 4:30pm
I'm seeing the Punch Brothers in San Francisco on the 18th. I definitely agree that Thile is kind of a sojourner who will inevitably follow the winds of his expanding musical horizons--so in that way, one group could never tie him down. But it seems like a group environment is precisely the place where Thile is able to release the brunt of his creative energy and be shaped at the same time by like minded musicians. For him, I think Punch Brothers is where it's at for a while.

David Engdahl
Apr-15-2014, 12:15pm