PDA

View Full Version : Latest Newell F style

Keith Newell
Sep-19-2004, 6:28pm
Here is the latest F style. Sitka one piece top from Bruce Harvie, the grain runs wide on base side to tight on treble. Big leaf maple one piece back. carbon fiber rod in neck and inside the bridge. Ebony pick guard and custom tailpiece I designed just for this instrument. Finish is varnish, binding is faux tortise. Dovetail neck joint with locking dowels, mahogany neck, tail and point blocks. I put red spruce tone bars in this and the finish is pretty thin. The Mermaid is something I dreamed up http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif (still trying to finish that dream).
I know everyone is always excited about there latest instrument and are biased towards the sound but I have to tell you this is the loudest and best sounding instrument I have made yet and it hasn't even had strings on it for 20 minutes. I am writing down everything I can remember about the construction as far as top and back thicknesses.
These pictures are terrible but I will post more this week, Im off in about 20 minutes to a local Sunday night session and Im taking this lil Mermaid!
Keith Newell
http://www.newellmandolins.com

Keith Newell
Sep-19-2004, 6:29pm
Back

Keith Newell
Sep-19-2004, 6:30pm
The back ground is a light pale purple so the pictures are not retouched.

Keith Newell
Sep-19-2004, 6:31pm
Side

Keith Newell
Sep-19-2004, 6:33pm
Scouped finger board is Abalone.

Keith Newell
Sep-19-2004, 6:34pm
Another

Keith Newell
Sep-19-2004, 6:35pm
I'll post more pictures of the scroll later this week. I gotta run.

mad dawg
Sep-19-2004, 7:00pm
Gorgeous finish, and I really like the look of dark binding on a dark finish like that.

Skip Kelley
Sep-19-2004, 7:08pm
Beautiful Keith as always!!
I love the burst!!!!

Ken
Sep-19-2004, 7:52pm
Great look, I also like that tortoise binding, very subtle.
Ken.

mandolooter
Sep-19-2004, 8:37pm
Your work is lookin better and better Keith. I got a chance to play the one at the Mando-tasting Ken had at Wintergrass and it had a great sound with plenty of volume. Keep at it...you seem to have figured a few of the "secrets" out! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 12:43am
I forgot one pic from today. I just got back from the session and wow was it fun to play. A couple others played it and one comment was " wow it plays so nice, are these light strings?" I told him "no, they are J75's" and he was so surprised at how smooth and easy it played. The best part was I didnt have to play very hard at all to be heard.
I was asked why I picked a Mermaid and the only thing I can think of is that for 15 years my wife has loved Disneys lil Mermaid and we have lots of knick knacks and such about that movie around the house, and my kids loved it.
One thing it seems that Im going to have to do is figure out why this camera isnt taking very good pictures any more. Maybe its me but its a 6 year old digital camera that is very outdated.
Keith

levin4now
Sep-20-2004, 7:10pm
Beautiful work Keith. Nice inlay work...down to the finest detail!

Beautiful back too. I really love those one piece backs.

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:32pm
Ok, I took some better pictures since the sun finaly came out for the first time in a week. Sorry if these seem redundant but they are much better then the first ones.
Keith

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:34pm
Bridge with Carbon fiber center. The brass pins are just an insurance that everything thats epoxied together inside stays the way its meant to be.

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:36pm
By the way I did make every single piece except the Schaller tuners. Thats including bridge, tailpiece, inlays and nut etc.

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:37pm
I kinda like the red case with it.

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:38pm
Birds eye view.

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:39pm
It just shines to me.

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:41pm
Custom tailpiece. I didnt want the normal "Sun" style I use to take away from any of the other features so I made something that kind of flows with the overall design.
#Notice the rubber gromets hidden under the leading edge of the tailpiece? The work great to kill overtones.
Keith

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 7:42pm
Im a fan of the new Eastman cases. Good price and they come in RED!

Mando Medic
Oct-09-2004, 8:30pm
You have to hear this mandolin. Keith brought it into the shop today and Clyde and I got to pick on it for awhile. It was hard to believe that is was only 2 weeks old and that the top was Sitka. Keith, I hope you can duplicate the sound of this mandolin for your next instruments because you nailed it! This instrument has it all, Tone, Tone, Tone. Great job. I want that mandolin. Ken Cartwright