PDA

View Full Version : case with storage?

johnny
Mar-27-2010, 1:09am
Howdy,

Does anyone have (or know where to get) an f-style case with some storage space for a tuner/capo/extra strings? Maybe an insert in the top of the case? My mando's gettin a bit scratched from my loose tuner floatin around in my case.

Thanks!
Johnny

Michael Lewis
Mar-27-2010, 1:36am
You might look at the Concord case. Pics and such at Elderly.

mandroid
Mar-27-2010, 1:43am
I got a Prestige , a fiberglass rectangular case.. they have a bunch of covered storage, I'll Sell it, ;)
contact me.
I now have a Pegasus for the same mandolin & don't need 2. :cool:

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-27-2010, 3:19am
Purely on the grounds of being lightweight (my highest case priority), i recently bought a Travelite case for my Lebeda Mandolin.
The case is excellent & the slightly larger than normal Lebeda fits it like a glove. What did surprise me,was the inside compartment,which while not looking especially large ''length x width'' wise,is very deep & easily holds 2 set of strings,my tuner,a set of small pliers & snips & a string winder. The Travelite case is well worth looking at IMHO.The pic.i took shows the length & width of the compartment,& the other pic.gives an idea of the depth of it,
Ivan;)

Tim2723
Mar-27-2010, 4:27am
As a general rule of thumb, rectangular cases will offer more potential storage than any other kind. Many have full-size outer pockets that hold tons of stuff as well as inside compartments that are huge compared to those in a fitted case.

JEStanek
Mar-27-2010, 8:40am
I like the Eastman rectangular cases with two large lidded compartments inside and a whole extra flap outside (for books, music etc). Good straps too and not very heavy. The downside is it uses zippers and magnetic flaps.

Jamie

johnny
Mar-27-2010, 11:01am
thanks for all the ideas. zippers are a bummer, if my current case had something besides a zipper i wouldn't even be looking for another case, but i just know the zipper is going to break (it came with my eastman 514). It already really sticks in one spot and it's 3 months old. I really like the travelite case, thanks for the pictures!

johnny

JEStanek
Mar-27-2010, 12:23pm
Travelite uses a zipper to, BTW. The inexpensive Canadian cases from Elderly (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/MCEV-F.htm)have an F shaped case with a compartment big enough for a tuner. I usually kept an extra set of strings under the headstock. You have a lot of options.

Jamie

mandroid
Mar-27-2010, 12:51pm
If [the big if] a #10 coil zipper was used it would be a lot longer functioning , but costs more so isn't.

my hand made Mandola case ... builder made a light foam style case as a wooden one was not in budget,

I replaced the original toothed jacket type zippers, used originally with a #10 coil zipper and its been flawless..

zipper size is width of the teeth coils when zip is closed.. ~o)~o)

Paul Hostetter
Mar-27-2010, 10:04pm
There's also the new "The Loar" case:

http://www.lutherie.net/new.loar.case.2.jpg

Lotsa room, very nicely made, bonne prix.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-28-2010, 2:59am
Zippers are a PITA that's for sure !. I had a Travelite that the zipper stuck solid on.I had to literally tear the case open,thus destroying it completely.There is a solution though - use a drop of 3-In-One oil or WD-40 wiped onto the zipper. I did this immediately when i got my new Travelite case & now it zips & un-zips at warp speed with no sign of sticking. If the zipper does stick,it might be that the 2 sides of the zipper aren't parallel & the lid needs to be closed a fraction more to ease the stress on the zipper. Zippers don't work well if one side's pulling away from the other.
The Loar case above looks identical to the Silver Creek case that somebody posted a pic.of on here quite recently - are they the same case,or have we now got 2 makers making identical cases ?. They're superb looking cases whatever,
Ivan

jim_n_virginia
Mar-28-2010, 4:21am
another vote for the Travelite. I've been using one for about a year ever since I got it with another mandolin I bought and I gotta say while I had my doubts about it's ruggednes and so I just was going to use it for one festival as I was tired of lugging around a heavy case and I can sling the travelite across my back and have two hands free but it has turned out to be a very good case and I have been using it over a year now and I have had no problems with it even the zipper works fine.

In addition to the zipper mine have a velcro strap for extra hold. And while like Ivan says it isn't a huge compartment I can fit a Intelli tuner, small snips, pegwinder, a capo <GASP!> and a small cloth in there. I keep an extra set of strings up by the headstock under it. If this one fell apart today I'd probably buy another one. I have gotten spoiled carrying around such a light load! :mandosmiley:

tburcham
Mar-28-2010, 8:43am
The rectangular Ameritage case is excellent...it has lots of room and protection for the mando and a very large lidded storage compartment. They are built like a tank and therefore are a bit heavy, but your prized mando will be safe! I use the Ameritage for local jams and then I use my Travelite for festivals where I have to tote the instrument with me all day! So I love the Travelite as well!

Dave Schimming
Mar-28-2010, 9:38am
Another option is the Small Dog Case Cover (for TKL type cases). Nice size pocket on the outside (will hold my Tone Gard), extra padding & insulation, plus has a shoulder strap.

Austin Koerner
Mar-28-2010, 10:43am
I'd get a Concord case if it were me. I'm going to get a second one soon I think.

Here's one at elderly (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/CAMC1.htm)

Jim MacDaniel
Mar-28-2010, 10:55am
Bobelock makes a nice budget fiberglass case (http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail.html?accessory_key=1060)with a decent amount of storage (but if you are traveling you might want to take of the end pin -- see closeups at link), and the Bobelock oblong case (http://www.giannaviolins.com/Accessories/BobelockMando.html) has two internal storage compartments. (NFI)

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-29-2010, 2:01am
Jim - I think that having a case compartment 'just big enough' for the necessary items we need,stop us loading up with the other stuff that we 'might' (but never will) need - after all who needs a car jack & tyre levers for a mandolin ??!!,:grin: The lightness of the Travelite is amazing.My wife picked it up & asked me if the Mandolin was actually inside it (it was),it really was so light,
Ivan~:>

jim_n_virginia
Mar-29-2010, 5:00am
Jim - I think that having a case compartment 'just big enough' for the necessary items we need,stop us loading up with the other stuff that we 'might' (but never will) need - after all who needs a car jack & tyre levers for a mandolin ??!!,:grin: Ivan~:>

I have a friend who is a fiddler and he has a big rectangular cloth case like a lot of fiddlers carry and I swear he carries EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink in there! LOL! It looks like a mess in there and every time he opens his case all kinds of sheetmusic, papers and junk falls out all over the place! LOL!

JeffD
Mar-29-2010, 9:37am
I have a cheapo canvas over the shoulder sack in which I keep

replacement strings
needle nose pliers
strap
picks
capo
metronome
tuner
index cards
pencil
digital recorder
microfiber wiping cloth
Extra Strength Tylenol
lucky Texas State Fair ticket stub

In my mandolin case I keep

mandolin

J.Albert
Mar-29-2010, 5:33pm
There's also the new "The Loar" case:

http://www.lutherie.net/new.loar.case.2.jpg

Lotsa room, very nicely made, bonne prix.

What we (well, ok, "I") really need is this vintage-style interior combined with an outside made of light fiberglass instead of wood.

Think of something like the Saga fiberglass cases, only rectangular instead of "shaped"...

- John

mandroid
Mar-29-2010, 7:04pm
Prestige , Australian, cases are like that, domed a bit more on the top than Wood would be,
as that is part of making something strong and lighter , arches and round corners.
but it's largely rectangular.
''Pacific Peso'' as I've heard them call the AUS$ is up a bit more these days in the exchange rate flux.
{see#3}

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-30-2010, 1:39am
J.Albert - You mean something like this ?. These are an Eastman carbon fiber Violin case & one of their glass fiber cases. They would be easy to fit out for a Mandolin & give us the light weight & strength that we want - if only they'd do it.Their beautifully made 'shaped' Mandolin cases are totally impractical,with no room for even a strap inside - unless it's a bootlace one,i know,i tried one out,
Ivan:cool:

Phil Vinyard
Mar-30-2010, 7:28am
I have a Concord that I got from Elderly

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/CAMC1.htm http://elderly.com/images/accessories/138N/CAMC1_case-open.jpg

It's got plenty of room for strings, capo, pliers, etc. in the boxes on either side of the neck. But even better, there's a place for your Tone-Gard in the top of the case. Then when the case is closed, there's a big pocket on top that can hold a lot of stuff, even music. It does have a zipper, but the primary close is a latch that locks. As far as I'm concerned, it's the last case I'll buy!

sachmo63
Mar-30-2010, 9:14am
Phil, i've been looking at the concord myself. It sounds like you like yours. I currently have a Weber Rectangular case my Fern came it, its a great case but weighs in at over 15 lbs and is really a tank any way you look at it.

How bulky is and how much does the concord weigh? It seems the best case for practicality, does it offer enough protection to be banged around?

I would like to buy a Price or Calton but honestly I won't need that level of case as most gigs I do are local and the storage is a problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

S

JeffD
Mar-30-2010, 9:44am
I have a friend who is a fiddler and he has a big rectangular cloth case like a lot of fiddlers carry and I swear he carries EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink in there! LOL! It looks like a mess in there and every time he opens his case all kinds of sheetmusic, papers and junk falls out all over the place! LOL!

That used to be me.

Phil Vinyard
Mar-30-2010, 9:53am
Phil, i've been looking at the concord myself. It sounds like you like yours. I currently have a Weber Rectangular case my Fern came it, its a great case but weighs in at over 15 lbs and is really a tank any way you look at it.

How bulky is and how much does the concord weigh? It seems the best case for practicality, does it offer enough protection to be banged around?

I would like to buy a Price or Calton but honestly I won't need that level of case as most gigs I do are local and the storage is a problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

S

I looked it up--8.2 pounds empty. Never seems to be that heavy, but I used to play 'cello so everything seems pretty light. I also have a canvas gig bag to use in the event I'm somewhere where I am going to be toting it around a lot (thinking ahead to Kaufman Camp for one). I looked at LOTS of cases and decided I wanted utility over weight. I really like this case, think it protects my Gibson really well, and has room for a lot of stuff. I'd recommend it, and Elderly will get it to you fast.

sachmo63
Mar-30-2010, 10:09am
Cool, I've emailed Elderly and asked for a discount. They've not responded yet...........

Good Review.

Thanks

S

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-02-2010, 12:23am
The Concord case seems to be a slightly modified Eastman Violin 'style' case.The Eastman has fixed cushions & no Hygrometers, but it does have the large full-length zippered outer pocket.
Sachmo63 - You're spot on with the Weber case weight - it's a monster !.That's the reason that i bought one of the Eastman cases that i mention above.The Fern fits like a glove. OK,there are no hygrometers & the cushions are fixed,but unless hygrometers are 'essential',then the Eastman case may be a less expensive option. I have to say that in terms of lightness, & also good storage for strings,snips,winder & a tuner - the Travelite cases take a heck of a lot of beating,& deserve a good coat of 'looking-at'. Unless you're going to give your Mandolin to some rought treatment,then IMHO,for lightness especially & good all round protection,the Travelite is by far, my favourite case,
Ivan;)