PDA

View Full Version : Options, options, options...

John Hill
Mar-23-2010, 2:02pm
A story that I assume a lot of folks here know too well: I have a perfectly fine mandolin (a Flatiron in this case) and yet M.A.S. has reared it's ugly head. The only real problem is that there are far too many excellent mandolins to choose from, just look at the classifieds.

Collings, Phoenix, Gibson, Newson, Weber & now a spate of BRW's...the head spins at the number of fine mandolins in the market. Not to mention the option of ordering from one of the many great luthiers out there. We're fortunate to have so many quality mandos available but how is someone supposed to choose!?

Decisions, decisions...

...and Master of None
Mar-23-2010, 3:11pm
John,

I hate to see someone in such a quandry. Might I suggest that you just send me the money you were planning on spending. I'll purchase a mandolin for you, and even break it in for a few years, thus saving you not only the stress of making such a difficult decision but the inconvenience of dealing with an unbroken-in instrument... :))

Just trying to help...

John

swain
Mar-23-2010, 3:11pm
Depending where you are in KY, a couple day trips, one to Nashville and the outskirts, and another to Michigan ought to solve your problem. I found that from Lexington, KY, I needed to hit the road or buy instruments on 2-day approval. You can pay for gas or pay shipping both ways. I just pay for shipping, both ways if needed, and try out instruments in the comfort of my own home, and playing with folks I know. And this forum is a wealth of information. Read everything, trust most of it. And then go buy something, instrument or accessory, from each of the great shops that contribute valueable input to this site and forum.

swain
Vega F
Peterson Octave
Weber YS
next new one TBD

mandroid
Mar-23-2010, 3:15pm
A Go forth, and have a Mandolin playing shopping field trip, and play a bunch, is the solution ..

banJoe
Mar-23-2010, 3:41pm
There certainly are many options. But the big question is: Which one is the ABSOLUTE BEST option for my price range of $xx-$xxx? (I could swing a little more $ if necessary.) ;)

Greg H.
Mar-23-2010, 3:41pm
Well, at this point I have not idea what kind of music you're interested in, but if you're interest is in bluegrass I'd say wait about a little over a month and go see what you can find at Merlefest. The big advantage there is just having lots of different mandolins at one place. Then, there's also the advantage of finding one that you can't quite put it down.

John Hill
Mar-23-2010, 4:22pm
There certainly are many options. But the big question is: Which one is the ABSOLUTE BEST option for my price range of $xx-$xxx? (I could swing a little more $ if necessary.) ;)

Yep. A bunch of 'em in my range that I would gladly have...but I'm pretty sure I know what I want. Just gotta pull the trigger.

John Hill
Mar-23-2010, 4:26pm
Well, at this point I have not idea what kind of music you're interested in...

All of it. Well, most of it. Ok, a lot of it...just not the kind the kids play that rattles not only their car but mine also.

Steve Perry
Mar-24-2010, 11:32am
I'm going to have to agree with the road trip idea. Unfortunately, the mandolin availability in the Louisville area is not what it used to be. Go to Nashville and see Big Joe, Gibson, Gruhn's and Cotten Music. Play everything they've got. Then head east on I-40 to Pigeon Forge/Seveirville and visit Smoky Mountain Guitars and Music Outlet. Again, play everything and then buy the one you can't get out of your head.

D C Blood
Mar-24-2010, 6:46pm
Hi John, Not sure what your budget is but I'm a firm believer in Ken Ratcliff's Silverangel Mandolins. Check out the Silverangel Myspace site (see my sig block) and then go to Ken's website. You won't be sorry. NFI etc etc...

JeffD
Mar-24-2010, 7:06pm
Again, play everything and then buy the one you can't get out of your head.

Excellent advice.

catmandu2
Mar-24-2010, 7:28pm
Have you considered one of these? ;)

John Hill
Mar-24-2010, 7:49pm
Have you considered one of these? ;)

Oh yes.