PDA

View Full Version : Yasuma "Newance" bowlback mandolin, circa 1980

mad dawg
Sep-18-2004, 5:58pm
I just came across a classified for a bowlback "Newance" model mandolin made in Japan by Yasuma and Co, which was purchased new in 1980. The asking price is $150, but since it was made in Japan it sort of may me go hmmmmm. Any ideas out there how much one of these in good condition is worth? I don't really need or want a roundback at this time, but I'm always intrigued by a bargain.

Eugene
Sep-18-2004, 6:04pm
That sounds like a typical selling price for a mass-produced Japanese bowlback of ca. 1960s-1980s vintage. Most of those I've handled were for the Suzuki or Ibanez labels. Those brands are very neatly built, but with very heavy, barely responsive soundboxes and extremely soft necks that are prone to warp; still, their neck should be fine under very light strings. I haven't seen a Newance by Yasuma, but am guessing they're pretty similar.

fatt-dad
Sep-18-2004, 9:19pm
I bought a Yasuma A-model mandolin (f-holes) and it is well made with all solid woods. I have the impression that Yasuma may have made instruments for various labels. Either way, for an all solid wood mandolin and the price that I got it for, I was very happy with it and have used it as a travel mandolin and consider it a worthy inexpensive mandolin.

f-d