PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any ideas about this mandolin?

burnseh
Mar-15-2010, 8:46am
no makers names or anything

JEStanek
Mar-15-2010, 1:34pm
See this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?59245-what-the-heck&highlight=nouveau).

Martin Jonas provided this information

It's a British-made mandolinetto from around 1900. They pop up very frequently on Ebay UK, all clearly related and possibly from the same maker. There are two different body shapes: the somewhat weird one seen on this one with the upper bout bigger than the lower and ones with a more conventional parlour guitar shape and the lower bout bigger than the upper. The labels variously say "Viennese College Of Music" or "Neapolitan College Of Music" or "The Anglo-Neapolitan Mandolin Society", although I don't think there is any real link to either Vienna or Naples. I have the impression that the "Neapolitan" ones are the guitar-shaped ones and the Viennese the weird-shaped ones, but I haven't seen enough labels to knwo if that's consistent. They all have a combined soundhole rosette and scratch plate, as well as the string downholding bar between bridge and tailpiece. Both of these are style elements associated by de Meglio bowlbacks. Some scratchplates are dark with light inlay, others are inverted light with dark inlay (like this one). Many have a painted or transfer printed romantic picture on the back (usually a woman playing mandolin), although this one doesn't. I've never played one in person, but there have been a few previous discussions including first-hand accounts from owners. Some nice discussion and photos in this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46819) thread.

burnseh
Mar-16-2010, 3:45am
Many thanks for that information and to Martin. I will pass the info on.

luqito
Aug-25-2016, 6:18am
This Vienesse College of Music Mandolin was made by Ewald Glaesel in 1905, most likely in Markneukirchen, Saxony. Last year I bought one of those on eBay in a quite good condition only requiring refinishing. Although it also didn't have the label inside I got it with original case and a book titled Vinesse College of Music, a tutor book for Mandoline (published in London). Recently I wrote to Business and Intellectual Property Centre in Manchester to check if the patent number 2244 was actually a genuine patent and received a copy of this patent application from 4th February 1905 that was made by Ewald Gleasel through a London based patent agency Wheatley & Mackenzie. As this was a territorial patent it means it was only intended to be sold in Britain.
After finding out that the patent was genuine I do believe that such school did existed under that name but now I just need more time to dig a little bit more in the archives to eventually prove it. I have posted the copy of application on my website together with some photos and recording made on this mandolin so feel free to visit http://www.lucassobieranski.com/#!english-mandolin/c1thp

Dave Hanson
Aug-26-2016, 1:49am
I owned one a long time ago, my ultimate opinion was that it was a waste of time, effort and money.

Dave H

Shelagh Moore
Aug-26-2016, 3:11am
That was helpful.

Tavy
Aug-26-2016, 1:26pm
I owned one a long time ago, my ultimate opinion was that it was a waste of time, effort and money

While I wasn't taken by the fiddle shaped one I owned briefly, I was very much taken by the guitar shaped ones which I thought sounded way better than I could have expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj11CLXyuzg

Tavy
Aug-26-2016, 1:27pm
This Vienesse College of Music Mandolin was made by Ewald Glaesel in 1905, most likely in Markneukirchen, Saxony. Last year I bought one of those on eBay in a quite good condition only requiring refinishing. Although it also didn't have the label inside I got it with original case and a book titled Vinesse College of Music, a tutor book for Mandoline (published in London). Recently I wrote to Business and Intellectual Property Centre in Manchester to check if the patent number 2244 was actually a genuine patent and received a copy of this patent application from 4th February 1905 that was made by Ewald Gleasel through a London based patent agency Wheatley & Mackenzie. As this was a territorial patent it means it was only intended to be sold in Britain.
After finding out that the patent was genuine I do believe that such school did existed under that name but now I just need more time to dig a little bit more in the archives to eventually prove it. I have posted the copy of application on my website together with some photos and recording made on this mandolin so feel free to visit http://www.lucassobieranski.com/#!english-mandolin/c1thp

Wow, great detective work there! Basically he seems to have been granted a patent for a flat back mandolin?

luqito
Sep-20-2016, 8:11am
I'd say that patent application was for that particular shape. There are some publications available on Amazon by Ewald Glaesel, all seem to cover various patents but I haven't had a chance to read any of them unfortunately. I have a feeling that it may contain quite a few mandolins available on English market, i wouldn't be surprised if Mandriolas with De Meglio features would come from the same place.

luqito
Sep-20-2016, 8:22am
From my experience even poor instruments can give inspiration for writing new piece of music because of unique characteristics

brunello97
Sep-21-2016, 2:15pm

How did I miss this first time around?

Good stuff! Thanks. One of these has been on my expanded MAS list for some time.

Mick