PDA

View Full Version : My Love Will Not Change - what is the key?

Darren Bailey
Mar-14-2010, 5:59pm
I love this song and have been trying all weekend to put a nice break together for it. But I can't work out the key that it's in, nothing I play sounds like Ronnie's solo. Now normally this would be true of anything I and the great ronnie play, but in this case it's more pronounced, I just can't locate what he's doing. Any advice most appreciated.

Raymond E.
Mar-14-2010, 6:03pm
Evenin'...
Is he not playing a Mandola on this tune ?

Mike Snyder
Mar-14-2010, 6:39pm
Yes, and I always assumed, by the sound, that he was in an alternate tuning. It has that Get up John drone thing going on.

Darren Bailey
Mar-15-2010, 8:32am
Thanks fellas, my problems have all become clear to me. But - when Dave Grisman appears with Del and the boys he plays his regular mandolin, would that be in an alternative tuning too (in fact would it have to be - I don't know anything about such things) when playing this song?

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-16-2010, 2:20am
Regardless of whatever tuning is used,it's still in a specific 'key',& that's on all our Mandolins.Just play though a few chords to see what fits,it'll be there somewhere. I used to mess around with all sorts of Banjo tunings years back,but got out of that habit. I don't care to re-tune my Mandolin for tunes such as 'Get Up John', i play it 'straight' in standard tuning.OK,it doesn't sound the same, but the tune's all there,
Ivan

Darren Bailey
Mar-16-2010, 3:41am
Sound advice Ivan.

Martin
Mar-16-2010, 10:00pm
Well I've played along with that song several times and I believe I played it in the key of "D".

Darren Bailey
Mar-17-2010, 7:19am
Thank you to all for the responses, as far as it is possible for me to say anything in life with authority I'm also plumping for D. And very relieved I am too.

ralph johansson
Mar-17-2010, 8:49am
Del plays D, C and G chords, so I would say it's in D mixolydian.