PDA

View Full Version : my first electric

mandobob
Sep-17-2004, 11:41am
In a few weeks I'm going to a jam with guys from a guitar board I frequent and decided to leave my six string at home and just bring a mando. After (quickly) researching an add on PUP for my Breedlove, I found an import A/E with case for $115. I expect the worse from the PUP, and since I'll be using one of my guitar amps, any thoughts about signal chain?
I'll be replacing the harness immediately, and will either stuff the body or tape the f-holes.
Wondering if EQ would help?
Thanks.

Lee
Sep-17-2004, 11:46am
Most "add on PUP's" are piezo transducers, not magnetic pick-ups like you'll find on an electric solid body guitar. What's your guitar amp? And what is your idea of an electric mandolin?
Is a Martin D18 with an "add on PUP" an electric guitar?

mandobob
Sep-17-2004, 12:16pm
Sorry, I guess I shoulda been more specific; A/E to me means acoustic body with added pickup. This one has a single coil magnetic pickup mounted in the oversized guard.
It looks like the type Fender used to use; smooth with no visible polepieces.
My main amp is a Fender Deluxe clone, and my backup is a SS Peavey.
I have always approached 'voltage enhanced' playing differently then unplugged; Different chord choices, different picking technique, etc.
PS
Depending on the year of the Martin D18, I might call adding a PUP "a mistake".

Lee
Sep-17-2004, 12:32pm
Your A/E mandolin sounds like a Fender EM-150 clone. "Voltage enhanced" playing has a lot more potential with a magnetic pick-up. It probably sounds great plugged into a Deluxe clone. Steering away from an add-on to the Breedlove was a good idea for what you want to do. Hint: Try an octave pedal.

mandobob
Sep-17-2004, 12:54pm
Hmmm, Ocatve Pedal sounds like an interesting idea!
I always have an Ebow and a delay in my bag, looking forward to experimenting with those too.

Lee
Sep-17-2004, 1:20pm
I never tried an Ebow. How does it sound with the mandolin? Have you tried it with single strings?
The only delay unit I ever tried was a Digitech RDS-8000 Time Machine with up to 8-seconds. Made kinda cool Frippy sounding things with it.

mandobob
Sep-17-2004, 3:38pm
I love my Ebow; I've only ever used it with guitar though.
I use it when playing with other guitars by just slowly playing the chords as arpeggios. My Tele sounds kinda like a cello that way.

Christian McKee
Sep-27-2004, 5:17pm
I get *tons* of mileage out of my Boss OC-3 octave pedal. Yes, it's digital, and not quite as warm as the OC-2, but it can process chords AND it has a drive option, which is fun. When you get tired of the driven sounds or the chording options, flip it over to OC-2 mode, and battle it out with you bassist...

RAWK!

Christian

mandobob
Sep-28-2004, 9:11am
Thanks for OC tip!
Update; mando came and as thought the PUP was ####.
I installed a new harness and PUP (Duncan stacked humbucker), added a ground wire, and added top to bottom braces. Can't string it back up yet; waiting on some replacement tuners and strings.
The tuners and strings are the first dollars spent on the project; I found the rest in my parts drawer.
The case is actually nice, the mando is a few steps above a wall hanger.