PDA

View Full Version : Wilkie Mandolin In The Mail

Mark Gibbs
Mar-12-2010, 1:37pm
Here is a link to photos of my new Wilkie Mandolin.
http://visualrecords.ca/Wilkie/
Yes those are Waverly tuning machines and a engraved James tailpiece.
It is in the mail and i should have it soon. When i get it I'll post some more photos and sound clips.

cayuga red
Mar-12-2010, 2:09pm
A work of art! Really stunning. Congratulations.

Red

swinginmandolins
Mar-12-2010, 2:18pm
NICE!!! Now the longest wait of your life:)

Jake Wildwood
Mar-12-2010, 6:03pm
Nice and simple. I like.

Are those flat-tops I see on it?

Mark Gibbs
Mar-12-2010, 6:42pm
Hey thanks for asking about flat tops. I did not take the photos and won't have the mando until next week and at this point i don't know what kind of strings those are but will find out and you will be the first to know. This is my second Wilkie mandolin. I liked the first one so much i had another one built but with highly flamed woods and exotic hardware. I am commissioning Wyatt to build me a Octave Mandolin next.

Josh Kaplan
Mar-12-2010, 7:15pm
Wow. Even the neck is amazing. And you will never get tired of looking down at those sides.

Josh

Charles E.
Mar-12-2010, 8:03pm
Verry cool! I love to see stuff like this. with those sound holes it should be a cannon!

Mark Gibbs
Mar-12-2010, 8:42pm
Thanks for the observant replies. Yea, the one i have now is loud when called upon. I play Cafe music with an accordion player on a regular basis and for small venues up to 25 people we don't use any PA.

Mark Gibbs
Mar-17-2010, 12:24am
Here is a link to photos of my new Wilkie Mandolin.
http://visualrecords.ca/Wilkie/
Yes those are Waverly tuning machines and a engraved James tailpiece.
It is in the mail and i should have it soon. When i get it I'll post some more photos and sound clips.

The waiting is over as my new Wilkie Northern Flyer arrived today. Not only is this mandolin a fine piece of eye candy, the tone an playability is all i could ask for. In fact it sounds just like the first Wilkie Northern Flyer i bought last summer . Sound clips coming soon. This is also my first experience with Waverly tuning machines and i couldn't say anything about them that has not already been said except i see upgrades for my other 2 mandolins in the very near future. I like Wyatt's custom bridges that have a fatter footprint and won't be rocking forward constantly.
I understand his web sight will be online soon.

billhay4
Mar-18-2010, 1:55pm
Interesting take on the bridge. I like the idea of a bigger footprint.
Nice looking instrument. I look forward to the sound files.
Bill

John Hill
Mar-18-2010, 5:28pm
Sharp! Especially like the headstock design. Congratulations.

Geoff B
Mar-18-2010, 5:48pm
the dark (ebony?) nut adds a cool aesthetic... nice!

Mark Gibbs
Mar-18-2010, 11:15pm
Tight grain Sitka Spruce;) Here is a photo of the 35 rings per inch of the top of this mando. Also gives a nice view of the Wyatt's own hand carved bridge work.

Mark Gibbs
Mar-19-2010, 12:36pm
Hi res photo of the wonderfully figured maple. Wyatt has more of this maple and could use it on the octave mandolin that will be coming soon.

joshua collum
Mar-19-2010, 1:35pm
I love quilted maple...That is a beautiful instrument! You gotta be lovin' life with that thing!

Mark Gibbs
Mar-19-2010, 2:13pm
The cosmetic virtue of this instrument is secondary the the wonderful mature tone that it has right out of the box. As it gets better with age i won't be able to stand it. Did you know that i have 2 of these mandolins. Click on my avatar and look at the rest of my threads to see the other one. I bought the first one last summer and liked it so much i had Wyatt build me another but with the quilted and Waverly's. I will crunch up some sound clips soon.

joshua collum
Mar-19-2010, 5:43pm
From looking at the Wilkie website, you can tell that this luthier knows his stuff. Your other mandolin looks awesome as well. I'm guessing that there aren't too many Wilkie mandolin owners? ...Very special instruments indeed! Enjoy them! And I'm glad to see that they are in the hands of a fellow Oregonian.....Looking forward to the sound clips! Take care.

Mark Gibbs
Mar-22-2010, 5:41pm
For you viewing pleasure, here is a hi res photo of the headstock of my new Wilkie Northern Flyer. Yea those ebony knobs are connected to Waverly's.:) The burl is Amboyna burl.