PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron

KitLarson
Mar-12-2010, 11:41am
Hi does anyone know,if the Gibson Flatirons had radius finger boards?:mandosmiley:

lenf12
Mar-13-2010, 9:18am
I've never seen a radiused fb Flatiron that was factory stock. It may have been offered as an option or done aftermarket.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-13-2010, 11:40pm
Yes, flat as Western Kansas.

Mike Snyder
Mar-13-2010, 11:53pm
Yeah!

Russ Jordan
Mar-14-2010, 8:10am
I thought certain Flatirons had a radiused fingerboard. Charles Johnson describes two Artist models at his site as having radiused fingerboards.

Mandoblab
Mar-14-2010, 9:26am
Dear Deeflubb,

When I was about to purchase a Flatiron A-5 Artist in 1986, I wanted to get a radiused fingerboard. At the time, they were only produced with flat boards. Fortunately, the music store got me in touch with Steve Carlson personally and he was willing to make up the mandolin with a radiused board for me. I still have that mandolin. Its a keeper!

Mandoblab

Bill Van Liere
Mar-14-2010, 3:30pm
Yes, Russ is correct about certain models having a radiused board; I had a 88 F-5 Master that came from the factory that way

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-14-2010, 3:51pm
As a rule, they are flat. The majority of Flatirons made have flat boards. However, you will find some exceptions here and there. The Master that Bill refers to are fairly limited in numbers.

Bill Van Liere
Mar-14-2010, 4:49pm
Yea my guess is there are about 50 F-5 Masters produced.

Not certain but I thought the F-5 Artist also had a radiused board, many more of those produced.

I do still have my 84 A-JR, no Florida extention with a Kansas profile: square and real Flatty.

John Hill
Mar-14-2010, 4:54pm
My Flatty's fretboard is, well, uh...flat.

fatt-dad
Mar-14-2010, 5:27pm
Lou Stiver did an aftermarket radius on my Flatiron A5-1.

f-d

Mike Snyder
Mar-14-2010, 6:09pm
My '94 Festival A and '01 Festival F (Nashville) were both flat. Unlike Kansas, which is just mostly flat.

allenhopkins
Mar-15-2010, 12:49pm
Perhaps you need to investigate the little-known Radiusiron mandolins?

Bill Van Liere
Mar-16-2010, 9:23am
Perhaps you need to investigate the little-known Radiusiron mandolins?

Ha, your joke a little flat with me Allen.

mando.keith
Mar-18-2010, 8:01am
My Flaty has a flat fret board also. I have a further question about Flatirons. I have a '96 Performer F model and the tag inside says it was made in Belgrade, Montana. I haven't found anyone in my neck of the words that can give me any ideas on the "Belgrade" location as as far as how it fits the chronology of the Flatiron story. Any ideas?

Capt. E
Mar-18-2010, 9:00am
My Flaty has a flat fret board also. I have a further question about Flatirons. I have a '96 Performer F model and the tag inside says it was made in Belgrade, Montana. I haven't found anyone in my neck of the words that can give me any ideas on the "Belgrade" location as as far as how it fits the chronology of the Flatiron story. Any ideas?

Gibson's Flatiron Division, headed by Bruce Weber at the time, moved to Belgrade in 1993. Gibson moved the division to Nashville in 1996, without Bruce and company.

mando.keith
Mar-18-2010, 9:11am
Thanks Capt. E. My Flatiron says Belgrade with a serial number 96021465. Things must have been in high transition when this baby was made.

Capt. E
Mar-18-2010, 9:36am
Doesn't mean it isn't a good instrument. I got the history info from Bruce Weber's bio on Sound to Earth site. http://www.soundtoearth.com/aboutus.php?cat=4

The move to Nashville wasn't completed until 1997.