PDA

View Full Version : The Gilchrist Dream Is Still Possible

MojoMando
Mar-11-2010, 9:56am
I just checked the Gruhn site and discovered this interesting update...

"One Gilchrist Junior left. A new batch of mandolins is en route to Gruhn's from renowned Australian luthier Stephen Gilchrist and only one Junior is unspoken for.

Stephen Gilchrist has completed a new batch of Model 1s (Juniors) and Model 5s. Only one Junior is unspoken for. Call Christie Carter at 615 256-2033 or email christie@gruhn.com for more information or to reserve a future Gilchrist instrument.

Model 1 is modeled on Gibson's snakehead A-Jr., with pear-shaped body and oval soundhole. Specifications include: sugar maple back, sides and neck, red spruce top, single strut brace, ebony fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, clamshell tailpiece, Elite tuners, spirit varnish finish and Calton case."

Good luck!

MojoMando

Brad Weiss
Mar-11-2010, 10:10am
I heard Steve play the (first?) one he built for the Mand Symposium in 2008 (and played it a little, too) I am honestly not looking for a mandolin (though I occasionally think about selling one or more of the 4 I've got and chucking it all in!), but THIS is a sweet mandolin at a competitive (relative to the Kimble's, Ellis's, even Collings at this price point) price.

AlanN
Mar-11-2010, 10:23am
He simply can't make 'em fast enough...

JEStanek
Mar-11-2010, 10:42am
He'll sell no mandolin before its time. Paraprhasing a wine company.

Jamie

R. Kane
Mar-11-2010, 11:04am
Christie Carter told me that after Mr. Gilchrist delivers this batch of Model 1s (and 2 Model 5s), he is going to take a year or so off from mandolin-making in order to build himself a house. That one Model 1 shouldn't last long....

Don Grieser
Mar-11-2010, 11:49am
My Model 1 is featured heavily on my recording. It's easily my fave.

Brad Grafton
Mar-11-2010, 9:26pm
Talk to Christie today also, and Steve was unpacking them as we were on the phone. A dream come true. She says they look great. A Gil for 7500 thats once in a lifetime. Has the last one sold? I think I got the second to last on november! Anybody out there commit? If so have you told your spouse:)

MojoMando
Mar-12-2010, 4:12pm
New info on the Gruhn site. It looks like someone pulled the trigger on the last one. Congratulations!

"No Gilchrist Juniors left The last remaining Gilchrist Junior from the new batch has sold (3/11). The next batch of Gilchrist instruments is scheduled for fall 2010.

Stephen Gilchrist has scheduled the next batch of instruments for delivery in fall 2010. Call Christie Carter at 615 256-2033 or email christie@gruhn.com for more information or to reserve a future Gilchrist instrument."

MojoMando

Douglas McMullin
Mar-12-2010, 5:32pm
I came extremely close to jumping on this, but for better or worse my pragmatic self got the best of me. I am glad it sold or I may have been in trouble. Perhaps in the future.

SternART
Mar-12-2010, 7:14pm
Hey Douglas.......sounds like your heart was pumpin' and you were trying to figure out if you could pull it off.......I've been there myself......I know that "on the fence" feeling. Perhaps you "will" have a Gil in your future, go for it!

That cat next to your mandos, would look good with an oval hole.......looks to have some Maine Coon in there, eh?

Douglas McMullin
Mar-12-2010, 7:28pm
Definitely the mental race to figure out how I could put it all together without selling anything important! I thought I had a good plan, but after a few hours thought I realized that it would never ever pass the wife test. It would have been a suicide mission in that regard, but despite that I still came terribly close to jumping (in my head anyway). :)

Kitty came from the shelter so I never knew the history, but I would not be surprised if there was some coon in there somewhere. Unfortunately that cat was always working on escaping the house, which is another kind of suicide mission for cats in my neck of the woods. He got out not long after that shot was taken, and I suspect that couple of coyotes were well fed that day.

Jim Garber
Mar-12-2010, 9:36pm
Sorry... here is what is on the site now:

No Gilchrist Juniors left The last remaining Gilchrist Junior from the new batch has sold (3/11). The next batch of Gilchrist instruments is scheduled for fall 2010.

SternART
Mar-12-2010, 9:49pm
[QUOTE=Douglas McMullin; I suspect that couple of coyotes were well fed that day.[/QUOTE]

:(