PDA

View Full Version : tenor strings

Cary Fagan
Mar-08-2010, 3:32pm
Has this been posted before? If so, please direct me.

What strings would you use for gdae tuning on a 23 inch scale tenor? I assume you can manage with strings from a regular guitar set. I actually have a set of tenor strings but suspect they are for cgda tuning, right?

Would the strings be different on a 21 inch scale? Just wondering.

Randolph
Mar-08-2010, 6:29pm
Cary, At present I'm running with 42-32-22-12 on my old Gibson TG-50 with a 23" scale. When I decided to switch to gdae tuning I had the nut replaced because of poor string-to-nut fit. I have horsed around with sets as heavy as 46-16 and as light as 40-10. Seems that the current gauges work best for me.

Charles E.
Mar-08-2010, 6:52pm
D'Addario J66-tenor guitar/bronze. Martin also makes a tenor guitar set.

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-08-2010, 7:05pm
I use J66 when I tune it CGDA and I use OM/Zouk strings when I tune it GDAE.

Jock
Mar-11-2010, 8:45am
Once I settle on string gauge I tend to order direct from these guys:

.....Clicky..... (http://www.newtonestrings.com/)

These guys sell me the exact gauge I order, minimum order 4 sets. Messing around with guitar singles is something I do only to find my gauge then I find it much cheaper to order and buy custom sets direct. I find that there are few branded "tenor" strings available that cut it from instrument to instrument. Newtone allow you to mix and mach on the minimum order so you can experiment with stainless bronze P bronze etc in the same minimum order, helps with nailing the best string material as well.

Newtone are a UK company so it may be better to find a US equivalent offering the same service, having said that the pound is quite low at the moment enabling more bang for the dollar. :)