PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron A style Mandola

Buttonwood Bob
Mar-03-2010, 9:35pm
I trying to resist temptation to sell my flawless Flatiron Mandola. It is an early 80's model. It is my best option for helping pave the way to acquire a top quality mandolin. My mother taught mandolin and violin from the 40's to the 80's. I inherited it along with miscellaneous other instruments. I haven't seen any for sale, so haven't the foggiest idea what it is worth. Her sales slip says she paid $500. I should think it is worth ~more. Anybody know?

mrmando
Mar-03-2010, 9:43pm
If you know what mandolin you are looking for, you could simply post an ad in the Classifieds, saying, "I'm seeking X mandolin and I have a Flatiron mandola to offer in partial trade."

The value of your particular mandola depends on its condition, which model it is, what kind of case & hardware it has, etc. I wouldn't venture a guess without knowing some of these details.

allenhopkins
Mar-03-2010, 10:51pm
Elderly had a 1981 2-K (koa) with hardshell case on sale here (http://www.elderly.com/items/90U-3557.htm) recently for $685. I'd guess $700-850 depending on condition and what kind of case (if any) you have. Those Flatiron "pancakes" are great instruments; my 3-K octave mandolin has served me well for 25 years.

fatt-dad
Mar-03-2010, 10:58pm
I may be interested. You can send me a PM or email to fatt-dad AT comcast DOT net

I'd get kilt for another instrument, but I kind of like these pancakes and have an interest in a mandola.

f-d

Buttonwood Bob
Mar-04-2010, 10:54pm
Comprende, papa gordo. I'm still hung up somewhat on how I came to own it, and whether it should remain in the family. My son plays guitar and mandolin, and his sons are getting interest, not that they are ready for a Flatiron mandola just yet a while. I know where to find you. Muchas gracias.

JeffD
Mar-05-2010, 12:45am
I have the Flatiron 3MW Mandola, and I love it. I don't play it as much as I should, and every time I take it out I wonder why.

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-05-2010, 12:49am
I have a Flatiron Scout Mandola - one too many I'm afraid. I also have an Eastman 815MDA and a K&S (H1 Copy).

DerTiefster
Mar-05-2010, 3:23am
I was looking through a Flatiron marketing brochure and found that they had an A-style carved top mandola in their lineup, at least during the '90s Gibson era. The O.P. didn't -really- -say- his was a pancake style instrument, did he? Maybe it's the carved top, which would probably bring a significantly higher price.

I had a Flatiron 3MB mandola for sale in the classifieds recently -- it's presently in TN with its new owner. I hope he becomes a cafe habitue' (assuming that's not wishing ill on someone). Allen Hopkins bracketed the price for that very nice example I had with its pristine case. I now own an early '80s Flatiron 3K bouzouki with a slightly creaky but very serviceable 5-clasp case.

It may turn out that the 17" scale of the mandola is actually a better thing for me than the 23.5" instrument, but we'll see. I intend to enjoy finding out. But I think I'm mandolined up for a while and just need to buckle down get better at playing and add some tunes to my repertoire.

allenhopkins
Mar-05-2010, 11:12am
The O.P. didn't -really- -say- his was a pancake style instrument, did he? Maybe it's the carved top, which would probably bring a significantly higher price....I now own an early '80s Flatiron 3K bouzouki with a slightly creaky but very serviceable 5-clasp case.

The OP said "early '80's," which I think would imply it's a "pancake." And welcome to the "3-K OM" owners' club. I've gotten a quarter-century of good Celtic music out of mine.

DerTiefster
Mar-05-2010, 11:23am
Here's an '84 pricelist posted by Markelberry wayyyy back in 2005
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?3496-Compulsive-purchase-Flatiron-1N&p=207603&viewfull=1#post207603
No carved tops in the brochure pages he posted then. My "new" 3K is from '82.

Addendum: my '90s brochure lists (and shows) a carved-top "M5 mandola" as an A-style teardrop mandola with snakehead peghead and f-holes. I don't have a pricelist to go with it. I bought the brochure from a cafe' member recently as "case candy" and am very happy to have done so.

fatt-dad
Mar-05-2010, 11:47am
Ha! both of my best mandolins are from that price list - my '84 1N and my A5-1. What a great year! (Now I need a mandola to match. . .)

f-d

Jim Garber
Mar-05-2010, 11:59am
My prized Flatiron is my '83 A5-2. I liked it so much that when I switched to mandola around 1985 I asked him if he was planning to make a carved mandola. He said he was thinking of it, but it would take some time to build prototypes, work out the details, etc. I didn't want to wait that long so I "settled" for my Monteleone.