PDA

View Full Version : bread crumbs

jasona
Mar-03-2010, 9:31pm
Could we get some place at the bottom, like they are at the top, of the page? I know, there is a drop down menu at the bottom, but I like clicking to refresh the forum I am reading when I finish a thread to see if any new posts have been posted. There is no easy way top refresh the current forum from the bottom.

Getting used to the new forum format. Each new version looks so different. This one has so much text crammed in next to each other. But, my eyes are adjusting.

Thanks for your hard work guys! ;)

GDAE
Mar-04-2010, 2:50am
Thanks for asking for that, I was wishing for the same thing.

Scott Tichenor
Mar-04-2010, 7:22am
This doesn't strike me as something I think is wise for the integrity of the templates or future versions/updates which are a part of any major forum software, nor particularly useful in the bigger picture. Refreshing a page in place to see if an additional post has been made can be achieved with the keyboard doing Ctrl + r, not that you may want to use that feature, but just to point out that there is a way to do it without navigating around and clicking links, and it works on just about any page on the web.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-04-2010, 8:26am
As will pressing the F5 key on IE.

Barbara Shultz
Mar-04-2010, 8:50am
Hey guys, thanks for that keyboard shortcut! That's one area of computering that I'm not so 'up' on.... I know copy, cut, paste, select all... but refresh is a good one! Here I am on my first sip of coffee, and learned something new already!

journeybear
Mar-04-2010, 9:27am
And of course the refresh button at the top of your browser window (to the right of the address pane). Just sayin' ... :whistling:

BTW Barb (and everyone, in case you didn't know), there are scads of these - you can get a list by going to help and searching on "keyboard shortcut." In your operating system, too - there are differences. They are so useful. Like F11 for full screen view, in case you get stuck there (and forget about "escape"). I'm an old DOS guy so I like this stuff. That new-fangled mouse thingy, that'll never catch on ... :grin:

Just sayin' ... :whistling:

GDAE
Mar-04-2010, 2:59pm
Perhaps we're not talking about quite the same thing. What I'm referring to is what was on the previous version of the forum, where, when you finished reading a thread in, say, the builders forum, there was a link you could click at the bottom of the page that would take you back to the thread-listing page in that particular forum. So when you got to the bottom of a thread about how to repair a broken headstock, you could click Builders and Repair and go right back to the topics listing, instead of having to pull down a menu.

journeybear
Mar-04-2010, 11:52pm
Guess I didn't understand. But just so I'm clear - you don't see a string of options something like this at the bottom?

Forum -> Instruments and Equipment -> Builders and Repair -> Paul Shippey 10 String.

The last one being the thread I was on in this example, the first three being successive links bringing me to this thread, so that by clicking on them, say "Builders and Repair," you would go back to that subforum. That was always there, and it hasn't changed. I believe you have to be logged in for this to be available.

In my settings I have most recent posts at the top (ie, reversed), so I may see things diffeerntly than you. For me this string is at the top.

GDAE
Mar-05-2010, 12:01am
That's correct. I don't see anything similar to your example at the bottom. I do see it at the top. But as I read through a thread (I have most recent posts last) and get to the end, I'd like to be able to get back to the overall section's topic listing with a single click, such as on the "builders and repair" in your example. The way it is, I have to scroll back to the top of the page to get to the breadcrumb list, or I have to uses the pulldown menu which, in the case of topics further down than "equipment", means I have to scroll down within the pulldown to find the section I was on. In the previous version of the forum, there was a breadcrumb list at the bottom just like the one you cited, and you could get back to the section listing with a single click.

journeybear
Mar-05-2010, 1:35am
OK, I get it. I think this is one of those things you (we) are just going to have to adjust to. As with any software upgrade, some things stay the same, some things change, some things go away. I didn't like the change to the message pane, but that's how it is. It's not going to change, so I must - and have. There's only so much in the program that can be tweaked. Fortunately, human beings have the ability to adapt. ;)