PDA

View Full Version : decent mandolin?

henry2010
Mar-01-2010, 7:32am
My let me borrow a mandolin for a couple of weeks to see if i like it. I just want to know if i can find a mandolin for 150 that will at least sound decent until i decide if i want to buy a more expensive one?

JEStanek
Mar-01-2010, 12:51pm
Welcome to the Café.

$150 can be a challenge but yes. Read my advice here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?232-Buying-a-Beginner-Mandolin-Advice)on new mandolins. It may not sound as good as your borrowed mandolin, as you likely won't get an all solid wood instrument at $150. But you can get one that holds tune and intonates. It just may have a weak tone and lack volume. If you can hang on to the borrowed one and if you like it, save up to $250 you have better chances of getting a decent starter (like a Kentucky KM150 or KM160, for example). I'll reiterate, always buy from a good dealer that does a set up prior to your getting the instrument or you will have to spend more moeny to have one done.

Jamie

Capt. E
Mar-02-2010, 10:11am
This Kay mando with solid top, pretty maple back and sides had a buy it now of only $125. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230442794071&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Should go for that or less. Not a bad place to start.

Vedran F.
Mar-02-2010, 10:36am
I'm looking for a decent mandolin on a budget, too. What about mandolin kits? I've seen that Saga kits should retail around 149$ and it's an all solid wood.

EdHanrahan
Mar-02-2010, 11:18am
... What about mandolin kits? I've seen that Saga kits should retail around 149$ and it's an all solid wood.

I'm really trying to not sound snide here and be, ya know, helpful and friendly, but I just can't help it...

When I was 17 and desperately wanted to drive, the first thing I did was buy a bunch of pistons, connecting rods, a crankshaft, some wheels & tires, nuts & bolts, several grand worth of welding equipment, some glass, paint, and old sofas, and built myself a drivin' machine. No reason that approach won't work on mandolin... that I can think of. But that's just me!

Or maybe a bit more realistically:

You could buy a $150 "finished" mando and consider that to be "the kit". Then go to Frets.com and learn how to do a setup, and go to StewMac (Stewart-MacDonald) and buy the appropriate nut files plus some fine sandpaper. You should end up with a decent playing instrument that will eventually become your "beater".

The HUGE advantage is that you'll only have done only the last 3% of work involved in the kit and you'll have gained at least $150 of eduction, plus some starter tools.

NOW you can realistically decide if the full kit (a truly noble pursuit) is something you really want to tackle.

I REALLY DO hope this helps!

Vedran F.
Mar-02-2010, 11:44am
I'm really trying to not sound snide here and be, ya know, helpful and friendly, but I just can't help it...

When I was 17 and desperately wanted to drive, the first thing I did was buy a bunch of pistons, connecting rods, a crankshaft, some wheels & tires, nuts & bolts, several grand worth of welding equipment, some glass, paint, and old sofas, and built myself a drivin' machine. No reason that approach won't work on mandolin... that I can think of. But that's just me!

Or maybe a bit more realistically:

You could buy a $150 "finished" mando and consider that to be "the kit". Then go to Frets.com and learn how to do a setup, and go to StewMac (Stewart-MacDonald) and buy the appropriate nut files plus some fine sandpaper. You should end up with a decent playing instrument that will eventually become your "beater".

The HUGE advantage is that you'll only have done only the last 3% of work involved in the kit and you'll have gained at least $150 of eduction, plus some starter tools.

NOW you can realistically decide if the full kit (a truly noble pursuit) is something you really want to tackle.

I REALLY DO hope this helps!

Well, actually, I do realize your point and I really am just a begginer in all things mandolin, but I do have some knowledge on acoustic instruments and the ways they are constructed, finished, etc. being a guitarist for around 15 years. I even managed to refinish two guitars (electric and an acoustic) so I presume that finishing a mandolin isn't that much different from a guitar.

Jean Fugal
Mar-02-2010, 11:53am
http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-RM100A-AStyle-Mandolin?sku=519193
$49.95 plus $5.95 shipping. Tweek the setup yourself. (per Fret's)
If it is just plain unplayable, send it back. (they will pay the return shipping)

allenhopkins
Mar-02-2010, 5:08pm
Rover is a budget line imported by Saga, who also imports Kentucky, Trinity College, etc. mandolins. You can get an all-plywood Rover here (http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/SearchResults.asp?cat=761&RefineBy_Manufacturer=Rover&RefineBy_Price=&Search=&Click=26914&gclid=CKa70eyIm6ACFSZo5QodGioP2w) for just under $100, and a solid-top one for about $112. No guarantees as to set-up, but if you have the expertise and can get some references, you can try it yourself. The Rover RM-75 gets high marks on the Cafe as a decent low-priced F-style mandolin. These A-styles are lower-end, but may well be decent learners.

ColdBeerGoCubs
Mar-02-2010, 5:19pm
That site has so many pop ups I couldnt even see what they were trying to sell.

PJ Doland
Mar-02-2010, 5:47pm
I know he probably wasn't thinking about an electric, but a used Mandobird might be the most playable thing he can find at near that price.

Perry Babasin
Mar-02-2010, 5:47pm
I think you would do better with the Kentucky KM 150 package you are talking about in your other thread...

IMHO............. Perry

henry2010
Mar-02-2010, 9:39pm
thanks for all the advice i think im going to get the kentucky 160. I do like the irish jigs more then blue grass. Does anyone know how this sounds for irish jigs?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-02-2010, 9:59pm
That site has so many pop ups I couldnt even see what they were trying to sell.

If you're talking about musicians friend you might want to get a decent anti-virus or adaware right now and run it, they don't have popups on that site.

OK, I missed the link in Allens post. You're right, instrumentalsavings.com has a lot of popups. That's pretty annoying really.