PDA

View Full Version : IBMA- in case anyone's interested

Dale Ludewig
Sep-15-2004, 9:18pm
Hi all,
I hesitate to do self promotion through the forums, but some people might be interested, so please read on if you wish.
I'll be at IBMA FanFest, sharing a booth with my friend, Martin Brunkalla, a great violin builder and new to the mandolin building community, but I expect to be a great builder in this field also. So in one booth (actually a table), you will be able to see Ludewig Mandolins and Brunkalla Violins (and mandolins).
Many other extremely fine builders will be there. I can't speak for this year, but I know from last year that even if they don't have a booth, keep your eyes open for Mario Proulx, Hans Brentrup, Fletcher Brock, Will Kimble,Michael Lewis, Dr. Dave Cohen, Peter Langdell from Rigel, Victor from Flatbush mandolins from Denmark,Ray Dearstone, and last but not least (Big Joe, Charlie, and Danny from Gibson), an incredible number of professional players and dealers.And who knows who else? I can't name them all. Steve from Cumberland Acoustics? There is so much to see and play and listen to. Kids in Candyland.
I have no personal interest in this except that I wanted people to know they can see one of my instruments in person there if they want to. I'll have mandolins and two mandola's, although they're both already spoken for. I apologize if I've left anyone out of my list (like Keith Yoder- dealer from Iowa- great guy and great player). Come if you can- it's a blast.
But!!! check if you can get a room in Louisville somewhere first............

Michael Lewis
Sep-16-2004, 1:36am
Dale, you are right on that there is a wealth of stuff to see mandolin wise. I think Tom Ellis will be there, probably Randy Wood, Tony Williamson, Prucha, Chapek, and I know Mr. Sumi will show his great stuff, and this is just a start.

This will be my first year to have a table in the Trade Show. Specifically made sure to have mandolins for this event. All the previous years have found me without mandolins or only one, and that isn't enough to get a table for.

picksnbits
Sep-16-2004, 7:47am
There's a slim chance I could get up there for a day or two. What are the best days to be there for jamming, seeing bands, sampling the goodies?

Sep-16-2004, 7:51am
Here is a link to IBMA website # Fanfest (http://www.ibma.org/events.programs/wob/fanfest.asp)

EastmanGordon
Sep-16-2004, 8:09am
I'll be there too with some Eastman fiddles, guitars and of course mandolins. Hope to do some picking in the booth if anyone's up to it.
See you there,
Gordon

picksnbits
Sep-16-2004, 9:49am
I thought the trade fair was earlier in the week. Will you guys still be there over the weekend?

Spruce
Sep-16-2004, 10:19am
I'll be there....
Should be a hoot...

Dale Ludewig
Sep-16-2004, 11:47am
The trade show starts Monday or Tuesday and runs through Thursday. Then Fan Fest, where the huge crowds are at, runs Friday through Sunday, although from what I understand and experience at other festivals, not much goes on on Sunday. I'll be at Fan Fest.

EastmanGordon
Sep-16-2004, 2:03pm
Eastman will be there for the whole week although I will only be there from Thursday onwards (my sidekick is handling the early shift).
Gordon (very much looking forward to getting very little sleep that week).

Sep-16-2004, 6:00pm
I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!! Itll be good to talk to all these great builders in person. Finally get to meet Martin Brunkalla. I plan on taking one of his fiddles back home.

Dale Ludewig
Sep-16-2004, 6:31pm
gdae-boy- that will certainly make Marty happy. I'll have to give him a buzz and give him the good news!

Dale Ludewig
Sep-16-2004, 6:35pm
Oh, at some point or points during the Fan Fest part of the exhibition, Emory Lester will be at Marty's and my booth, exhibiting his wonderful talents and playing an EL model. I'll post it at the show at the booth when I find out when.
Thanks again.
Oh- to Mr. Lewis- will that beautiful Rosewood F5 be there again?

August Watters
Sep-16-2004, 9:42pm
I'll be there representing Capek during the trade show, as well as the other builders I work with (Holoubek, Janish, Rozawood). Look for me at the Gallery of Strings booth. I'll join Rosta Capek in his own booth for the Fan Fest. Hope to see you there!

I'm also there to work on bluegrass education -- teaching and performing is my main gig, so it's great to have an event with so many aspects at once.

August W
http://www.galleryofstrings.com

Michael Lewis
Sep-17-2004, 1:24am
Dale, I will have another rosewood F model for sale (very nice). More deco styled than previously. The other one you saw is in the US Navy band, and at least some of those boys will be there too.

I will exhibit through the Trade Show (Mon. thru Thur.), but will still be around Friday. I have to leave early Sat.

Spencer
Sep-17-2004, 1:59am
Dale,

Victor Smith told me he will be at IBMA again this year. He will have a little A4 along that I really liked, but I already have one that I really like.

Spencer

Scotti Adams
Sep-17-2004, 4:05am
..Man..I sure wish I could go this year..but I have a gig to play that weekend....play 'em all boys.....there are a lot of very wonderful and talented builders going to be there....the Trade Show is worth the price of admission for me....have a good 'n

Hans
Sep-17-2004, 5:08am
Hi all,

Dale, glad your sharing a booth with Martin, and happy to hear that you got a booth Michael. #Looking forward to seeing you all, and a special "OK" to Victor Smith!
I'll be there all week with 8-10 mandolins including the new M23V "Bluegrass" mandolin, and a new "A" oval hole. I'll also have a couple of 3 pointer prototypes to round out the line of instruments. Also hope to have a new piece of hardware that should be of interest to everyone.

Hans # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

ethanopia
Sep-17-2004, 5:53am
This will be my first IBMA and I will be there from Wed through Sunday. I'm really looking forward to the whole shebang. I will have my BRW with me if anyone would like to sample it just in case you are "Thinking about " one http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Can't wait,

-Ethan

jasona
Sep-17-2004, 8:17pm
Sounds like a hack of a lot of fun! Wish I could head Emory banging out some tunes on one of your mandolins Dale. What a hoot.

Keith Newell
Sep-17-2004, 8:58pm
I seriously have been counting pennies and checking my calendar but don't think I can afford to fly out and stay but boy I sure wish I could. The lineup for concerts looks great, the jamming sound fun and the chance to meet other builders is oh so tempting.
Keith

ellisppi
Sep-17-2004, 9:33pm
I will be there Wed-Sat. I'm looking forward to it

Keith Newell
Sep-20-2004, 8:18pm
I was wondering, "if" I was able to get out for a couple days to the Fanfest how much are rooms? Anybody want to split some costs?
Keith Newell

Big Joe
Sep-20-2004, 10:43pm
I'll be at the Gibson booth from Wednesday through Sunday. I look forward to seeing old friends...and making new ones! Be sure to stop by and say Hi. Plenty of mandolins to play and may even have a distressed MM there.

craigtoo
Sep-21-2004, 8:15am
Jiri Lebeda told me he'd be there...!

Not sure if it will be all days or just a few...

craig