PDA

View Full Version : Newell F style US Coast Guard edition

Keith Newell
Feb-27-2010, 9:22pm
I have gotten out of the habit of posting current projects but this one has come together nicely. This is for the father of another cafe member who used to fly helicopters for the U.S. Coast Guard. The top is a one piece old growth Sitka spruce with great properties. The picture of the Helicopter is not to great but once finish is on I will post a close up. The inlay consists of various colors of Mother of Pearl and some brass. The tailpiece will be Naval aviator wings themed. Hope you like it.
Keith

Keith Newell
Feb-27-2010, 9:26pm
I have gotten out of the habit of posting current projects but this one has come together nicely. This is for the father of another cafe member who used to fly helicopters for the U.S. Coast Guard. The top is a one piece old growth Sitka spruce with great properties. The picture of the Helicopter is not to great but once finish is on I will post a close up. The inlay consists of various colors of Mother of Pearl and some brass. The tailpiece will be Naval aviator wings themed. Hope you like it.
Keith
I Forgot to add this one.
Keith

R. Kane
Feb-27-2010, 10:02pm
An SH3! Who says its a bad helicopter image?

Josh Kaplan
Feb-27-2010, 10:39pm
That's what I call a great looking mandolin. The finish shows off the character of the wood and l like your version of the larger "scroll" on the headstock. Somebody's going to be very proud to have that one.

Josh

billkilpatrick
Feb-27-2010, 11:25pm
boy - does that look good. i agree - someone is going to be very proud to own it.

JEStanek
Feb-28-2010, 8:15am
Good work, Keith. Tone Guard or Life Preserver?

Jamie.

Randi Gormley
Feb-28-2010, 9:05am
That is one pretty instrument. congrats to everybody on this one!

ash89
Feb-28-2010, 6:58pm
yer an artist mate!

MiG-19
Feb-28-2010, 7:36pm
As a retired USMC Naval Aviator who flew the VH-3D for four years, I tell you that there would definately be at least one other guy interested in getting one of these! That is beautiful work, Keith.

Skip Kelley
Mar-01-2010, 7:16am
Keith, Very nice! I love the helicopter inlay! Nice way to honor those who serve!!

EddieA
Mar-08-2010, 9:12pm
Great work Keith !!

jimbob
Mar-10-2010, 8:31am
Great looking...nice wood and color

Michael Gowell
Mar-10-2010, 9:12am
I'm another fan of your less aggressive cut for the headstock curl...IMHO a curl of these proportions is elegant while still being reasonably strong, Too many mando headstocks have a curl cut well over 180 degrees, a recipe for eventual breakage.

smadara
Mar-10-2010, 8:00pm
An SH3! Who says its a bad helicopter image?

Actually, it is a HH52A (sort of a baby SH3). Single engine, amphibious helicopter built by Sikorski in the early sixties and served proudly into the late eighties when the USCG retired it in favor of the French-built Dauphin. BTW, I am the person for whom Keith is building this beautiful instrument.

Tripp Johnson
Mar-11-2010, 6:29am
Very nice, play it proud!

mandopete
Mar-11-2010, 10:17am
That is waaaay cool - sorta reminds me of this song from way back in the 80's....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAl3hMHzjTU

Keith Newell
Mar-20-2010, 12:12pm
Here are a few updated photos of the final product.
Keith

joshua collum
Mar-20-2010, 12:57pm
That's awesome Keith!!!

B. T. Walker
Mar-20-2010, 1:05pm
I keep coming back to this thread to look at the Newell USCG. It is way cool. The headstock inlay is very fine. Nice one.

smadara
Mar-24-2010, 5:19pm
I received the mandolin today and am absolutely thrilled with its beauty, workmanship, artistry and mostly its sound. Although I am a novice player, even I might sound good. When I get one good enough I will post a sound clip and some additional pictures that focus on some of the finer details (such as the incorporation of brass with the mother of pearl in the Helicopter); and, the tailpiece which is a beautiful rendition of Naval Aviator wings. Keith Newell is a fabulous luthier. Better have him make one for you before you are unable to afford him.