PDA

View Full Version : Feedback On New Software

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 10:53am
This may be impacted by my having set my preferences to display newest posts at the top of the page, but ... I'm trying to get used to losing the message pane in favor of the quick reply, as it's down at the bottom of the page instead of above (below?) the post I'm replying to. I like being able to refer to that post. Also, I have to click on "Go Advanced" to access all the goodies that used to show up automatically - higher level of functions, smilies, and such. I unblocked pop-ups for that post, and the advanced message pane appeared, as well as other indicators, but the next post opened as Quick Reply. If that's the way it is, that's the way it is, no big deal. I'll adapt. When starting a new thread, I get an advanced pane, just fine.

On the plus side, I like the addition of Undo, Redo, and especially the spell check function. I used to have to copy and paste into another program and then paste back. I LOVE having this function here. Thank you SO much for this! :) :grin: :mandosmiley:

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 10:57am
"losing the message pane..." Explain what that means. Are you saying the reply field used to be above the thread? I don't think I remember that.

Quick reply never had every single feature that advanced does. When you click reply it will jump the cursor into the reply function.

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 11:03am
I mean when I click on Reply To Thread I get the Quick Reply pane at the bottom of the page - as always - but not a message pane with all the bells and whistles. I used to get both but never used the Quick Reply, as the advanced style message pane was adjacent to the last post. On the plus side, if I click on Go Advanced while in a Quickly Reply pane, I get the advanced pane above (remember, my order is reversed) the last post. It's just an extra step.

I appreciate your efforts - I'm sure it's going to be a looooong day for you! ~o)

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 11:10am
I'd like to see a screen shot that shows top separate posting areas on the same page. That's what you're describing, but I'm not convinced you're explaining this correctly.

Suggest you check your General Settings (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions) and make sure you have the appropriate choice selected. Here's the text from that area:

When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 11:34am
I may well not be describing this adequately. ;) I would love to send you screen shots, but I don't know how to do that from here. I can paste one into a wordpad document but attachments doesn't support .rtf. I don't have Word (shocking, I know, but I inherited this machine). I'll go to the library as soon as "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!" is over and send screen shots from there.

JEStanek
Feb-27-2010, 11:55am
You could use Paint and then save the image as a jpg or bmp and attach that way, JB.

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 11:58am
Let me try that, because I just created a 19 meg document my way! :disbelief:

Daniel Nestlerode
Feb-27-2010, 12:40pm
Scott and all,
Great stuff. Smooth transition, cool graphics. :)
Journeybear is pretty accurate. Clicking on the "+ Reply to Thread" button at the top or the bottom of a thread page kicks the user down to the Quick Reply pane and provides a blinking cursor. Clicking the "Go Advanced" button still gets us to a wysiwyg text editor page.

HTH,
Daniel

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 12:43pm
Hi Scott

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. The first image is what I see after clicking on "Reply To Post." A Quick Reply pane opens at the bottom of the page - that is, after the first post in the thread (or I assume the first post on the page - this is a one page thread - so far ;) ).

When I click on "Go Advanced, I get the view in the second and third images (two parts). That's pretty much what Im used to.

So you see the advanced pane appears above (or below - at any rate, adjacent to) the most recent post, which is often the one to which I would be replying. This is what I would see in the old software - a reply brought up the advanced pane here. (In edit mode, it brought up a message pane in the same spot, without the full complement of bells and whistles, FWIW). I think that covers it.

And Jamie - thanks a million for your suggestion. I've rarely used Paint, but I will now. And someday soon all the screenshots I've saved as Wordpad documents are going to be converted to Paint images, thus freeing up a couple of gazillion megs. ;)

PS: After posting I see the third thumbnail is jumbled on top of the first. We used to get three side by side. Also the wink isn't winking! Horrors! :disbelief:

Daniel Nestlerode
Feb-27-2010, 12:44pm
I forgot to mention that I really miss the quick link forum menu at the bottom of each page.

Daniel

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 1:08pm
By the way, I wanted to expand on what I mentioned concerning unblocking pop-ups. That enabled (for me) the differentiation in typeface (regular or bold) which indicates whether there has been a reply to a thread you have previously visited in a sub-forum. When I first saw the new look I wasn't geting that. Hope that helps anyone who experienced the same thing.

sunburst
Feb-27-2010, 1:32pm
I tried uploading some images with no success. I don't know if it's not working or it I need to go to the library and try again where there actually is high speed (sort of) in this neck of the woods. I figured out how to click "add files" and "select files", and that part worked, but when I click "upload files" nothing happens, and I waited what seemed like a long time. Any ideas?

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 1:44pm
When I click on Upload an image appears in the Attachments section below the selection display, with a select box next to it. I just uploaded this thumbnail without having to select it - maybe for some reason you have to? Don't see why it should. Are you talking about inserting an image rather than attaching one?

sunburst
Feb-27-2010, 1:52pm
When I click on Update...

Update? Where do you see "update"?

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 1:54pm
Sorry - I meant "Upload." D'oh!

Anyway, there are also those "Insert Attachment" and "Insert Inline" options. Maybe that has something to do with it? You have to hit "Insert Attachment" - which you probably did, just putting it out there.

sunburst
Feb-27-2010, 2:08pm
Yeah, the "insert" button is to put it in a post after it's been uploaded though, I can't get anything to upload.
I'll try one really small file and see what happens here;55680

sunburst
Feb-27-2010, 2:11pm
So that's it, I'm too "bandwidth challenged" here in this holler to use all this newfangled stuff. Ah well, I'll just update the "restoration challenge" when I get a chance to spend some time in town with the laptop. (sigh...)

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 2:23pm
OK, here we go again. Folks, I'm not going to wade through various threads that meander off into multiple questions. This is the third thread I'm closing. If you have a concern, start a new thread. If not, don't butt in on those of others. This is not me being cranky. It's called being polite and considerate of others.

journeybear, I still don't see the issue. If it's a bug, I'm happy to address it. If you just don't like the way it is because it isn't exactly the way it was before, then I can't make you happy. Sorry. Suggest since you're having multiple problems that you spend some time getting used to the forum before wading in much further.