PDA

View Full Version : big spaces on posts

jim_n_virginia
Feb-27-2010, 10:11am
Scott I don't know if anyone else it experiencing this but I am noticing that ever since you switched over to this new format on the forum I am seeing huge spaces or gaps in people's posts including mine. Not everyone but I'd say 75% of them.

Like I'll see the title and them a huge space and then their post starts. I haven't figured out yet if it is when someone quotes someone else's post or if it is with an original post.

Just thought I'd make you aware of it in case you didn't know it already!

MikeEdgerton
Feb-27-2010, 10:22am
I'm not seeing that Jim, what browser are you using?

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 10:26am
I'm not seeing this either. The avatar and location/post information creates some white space in posts but its always done that I believe. Also, the signature information impacts this. Wasn't it always that way? I've forgotten already, but then my eyes are bloodshot from looking at this. :)

MikeEdgerton
Feb-27-2010, 10:32am
It looks normal to me Scott on both Firefox and IE 8.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 11:36am
OK, I am seeing some incredible white space above quotes in IE and it's apparently a known bug. Here's something I found on a support forum but so far (I'm not an IE user--stay as far away as possible from it) haven't found it in the menu they note:

--------------

There's a bug report for this issue, and someone posted a temporary fix for IE 7/8 users that involves disabling Compatibility View. I verified this setting change does fix the problem. Here's a how-to message I just posted on our forum:

Several users of this website have noted formatting issues when viewing the forums with Internet Explorer 7 or 8. The primary symptom is that any forum replies that include quotes are displaying a huge amount of white space. This problem has been reported to the software vendor, and they will likely address this issue in a future update.

In the mean time, there is a simple fix for IE 7/8 users that eliminates the problem.

1. While in Internet Explorer, click on the Tools menu, then click on Compatibility View Settings.

2. Uncheck Display all Websites in Compatibility View, then click the Close button.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 11:44am
OK, reading a bit, Compatibility View in IE 8 is a "feature" they've added because IE 8 does not render sites properly--or in their terms--some sites are not ready for IE 8. It's a feature... I get it. Clicking the Compatibility View button which they say is right next to the refresh (but not on my copy) reverts it to how you'd view it in IE 7.

Still, I have a version of IE 8 on my box but can't find it :). That's all I'd better say about IE and my long-standing opinions on it.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 11:55am
Wow, is this obnoxious in Internet Explorer. Known bug, but no responses from the software developers. I've seen evidence the fix above sometimes works, sometimes doesn't in IE 7 and 8. I'm normally not one to harp on browser choices normally, but if you're a web developer you're well aware of the massive problems MS throws up with different versions of their browsers and their so-called "features."

Can you say, "IE 6?"

The chat about it on the support forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?343107-Whitespace-above-quotes).

Miked
Feb-27-2010, 12:50pm
This also caught my eye. I'm using IE8, but Firefox 3.5.5 has the extra white space, too.

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 1:17pm
Just noticed this on my first quote with the new software. The quote box appears below the bottom of the avatar, thus creating a big white space. Not sure which version of IE I've got, BUT - just to the right of the address pane and to the left of the Refresh button is a button called "Compatability View." I clicked on that, the page refreshed, and the space went away. :mandosmiley:

Rob Gerety
Feb-27-2010, 2:08pm
Well, I'll say it out loud. Dump IE. Problem solved.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 2:25pm
This issue is known and resolved as far as I'm concerned.

Repeating this in every thread in this section. If you have a valid new concern, start your own thread. Please stop posting unrelated matters in other threads. It is too time consuming and makes no sense to post concerns over the tops of others.