PDA

View Full Version : gibson/martin oval or international violin f4 kit.

drewgrass
Feb-25-2010, 6:08pm
i have a great f-5. im wanting a oval hole for the sound and to use as my beater/haul around town mandolin. $1200.00 is about my max.
for that price i can get a gibson a-2 etc etc. or a martin twin point oval 2-20 is what i would really like. but im sure i would have to put a bit of time and money getting them set up. and then there is the unknown issues they could have.

or i could get the international violin kit ,f4 for $350.00 and pay a local violin builder buddy to build it. i would get a good deal. go all out waverly's, james tailpiece, violin finish, radiused finger board.try to get it as close to that campanella look as i could. im sure he could tweak it pretty good also bracing's etc. all that stuff.

so any thoughts on this. what would you do. anyone built the international violin kit. i know it would not retain re-sell value of the gibson/martin. but do they sound good. anyone have any pics of it. thanks.

fishtownmike
Feb-26-2010, 12:59am
Go for it. Many on here have built from their kits and rave about them. They have a good reputation. I never built one of their kits but have made many purchase from this company for violin related stuff but am thinking of doing one of their violin kits in the near future. They also have great customer service.